When did Western Hunter Gatherers become White?

I am inclined to agree with you. It was about 40 thousand years ago when they first came to Europe and about 10 thousand years ago they came to the British Isles. Surely they must have evolved lighter skins in order to get more vitimin D. Yet the reconstruction of Cheddar man shows him to be as dark as a sub Saharn African.

A couple of the people involved in the Cheddar man reconstruction have openly admitted there was a woke political element in showing he had dark skin which is not really helpful in the long term view of things.

A couple of the people involved in the Cheddar man reconstruction have openly admitted there was a woke political element in showing he had dark skin which is not really helpful in the long term view of things.

He did have dark skin that's not up for interpretation. But as dark as Cheddar man? Probably not... probably closer to dark olive, to bronze tone which you can still see in south euros today.

He did have dark skin that's not up for interpretation. But as dark as Cheddar man? Probably not... probably closer to dark olive, to bronze tone which you can still see in south euros today.

We don't know exactly but to obtain the skin colour you propose WHG should have had at least one , rather two of the most important mutations today Europeans and a lot of Afro-Asian pop's of "europoid" aspect have (90%/100% of the commonest SLC24A5 and at least 60/70% SLC45A2). So we can suspect WHG was darker than southern people of Europe or northern people of Africa. Maybe we ignore some other mutations for depigmentation on other loci...

[/QUOTE]
WHG should have had the most important mutations today Europeans (90%/100% of the commonest SLC24A5 and at least 60/70% SLC45A2)

Those mutations are Cuacasoid rather than White skinned.
MENA people have them, so they're unlikely to cause light skin.

Those mutations are Cuacasoid rather than White skinned.
MENA people have them, so they're unlikely to cause light skin.
[/QUOTE]
Nobody is white skinned, only almost white. And "white" is a generic term which covers hues of skin from almost white/ light pinky white to "olive/swarthy white"; most of the people haven't seen the skin colour of MENA poople 's "bottom" or arm pit !!! They are very lighter than you could believe! BTW when the skin is a bit darker than above (Pakistan N-Inde), very often these people have NOT 97 or 100% of both principal mutations, as Europeans have. BTW bis, Caucasoid is not a definition for skin colour.
You my look at distribution (%) maps of these two mutations in the world.

Considering Southern Europe people I think too much people confuse the winter time colour of their skin(s)* with the summer one, when they are tanned!
*: plural because there is not a single skin colour only among southern Europeans!

I'm wondering if anyone has put the Tarim mummies DNA in a predictor to see what skin tone they have given that we see they have light skin yet they don't have the snips for light skin (INM)?

This thread has been viewed 6128 times.

Back