Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

4 members found this post helpful.

Finally going on vacation abroad again

After all this time due to the pandemic, we are finally going to go on a vacation outside of North America. Because we have an infant we want to do a cruise. We are going to depart from Rome, then go to Naples, Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, and Kusadasi (Ephesus), and back.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    After all this time due to the pandemic, we are finally going to go on a vacation outside of North America. Because we have an infant we want to do a cruise. We are going to depart from Rome, then go to Naples, Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, and Kusadasi (Ephesus), and back.
    Congrats. I was thinking about going to Italy again this summer, but held off. So next summer it is. Hit Rome again for a few days, hit the Eastern Part of Sicily (Ragusa, Syracuse, Catania and Messina), have been to the other 5 Provinces, and take in some of the Southern Italian Regions and visit maybe Matera in Basilicata, and Southern Puglia and see some of the archeological parks there and see Altamura Man and those ancient WHG in Paglicci. Also hit the Catholic Dioceses in areas to do research past the civil records, which I have done on both paternal and maternal lines.

Have a safe trip. PT

Ethnic group
    Italian

How marvelous. I hope you have time to go to Pompeii for a few hours.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 members found this post helpful.
    I should be in Italy before the end of next month, … Surely my Salentini friends and relatives can't wait to see me again, … obviously

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    I should be in Italy before the end of next month, … Surely my Salentini friends and relatives can't wait to see me again, … obviously
    Congrats Salento. How far are your relatives from Altamura and the Park there? I may have asked this before?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo Trapani View Post
    Congrats Salento. How far are your relatives from Altamura and the Park there? I may have asked this before?
    … about 100 miles, Puglia is a big Region, … aka Le Puglie (plural).

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

… about 100 miles, Puglia is a big Region, … aka Le Puglie (plural).
    Yes, you are correct, very long South to North. So your family is a good ways away from Altamura. If you happen to make it there, let me know what you think, I would like to visit the park/museum there.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - SK1480
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Palermo Trapani View Post
    Yes, you are correct, very long South to North. So your family is a good ways away from Altamura. If you happen to make it there, let me know what you think, I would like to visit the park/museum there.
    I shall, … though that’s Jovialis’ land :)

Apulia's coastline is longer than that of any other mainland Italian region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apulia

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

I shall, … though that’s Jovialis’ land :)

Apulia's coastline is longer than that of any other mainland Italian region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apulia
    Ok, so Altamura is near Bari (Central Puglia), your family comes from further South in Puglia. The Paglicci cave is in the Northern. So any trip there would require several days at minimum at least. So next summer to do what I would like to do, I could be looking at 3 weeks again, maybe 4 (last time was a 3 week trip in 2019).

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283/J-Y197198

Have a wonderful time Jov! Looking at the destinations it seems you know what you are doing, great mix of good food, nice beaches, and great historical locations. Good way to stimulate body and mind.
    “Man cannot live without a permanent trust in something indestructible in himself, and at the same time that indestructible something as well as his trust in it may remain permanently concealed from him.”

Franz Kafka

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27/R-Y45921

Enjoy well the trip Jovialis, and Salento too.
    Of course dear Salento, you must be indispensable in a family reunion, I think

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thanks for all the well wishes!

@Angela, we are planning to take an excursion to Pompeii.

Also, when we go to Santorini, we are going to see the "Minoan Pompeii", Akrotiri, which was also destroyed by a volcano in 1500 BC.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thanks for all the well wishes!

@Angela, we are planning to take an excursion to Pompeii.

Also, when we go to Santorini, we are going to see the "Minoan Pompeii", Akrotiri, which was also destroyed by a volcano in 1500 BC.
    You have to give me the trip info. The itinerary sounds great.

This year, though, if all goes well I'm going home for the grape harvest at the end of September, beginning of October.

As beautiful as my area is in the summer the last years have just been too brutally hot for me in the summer unless I'm up in the Apennines in my father's area. Hopefully it will have passed by the end of September.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    You have to give me the trip info. The itinerary sounds great.

This year, though, if all goes well I'm going home for the grape harvest at the end of September, beginning of October.

As beautiful as my area is in the summer the last years have just been too brutally hot for me in the summer unless I'm up in the Apennines in my father's area. Hopefully it will have passed by the end of September.
    I'll PM you with the details.

We were actually just watching a Pixar movie on Disney+ that takes place in your region, it is called "Luca". It was a really good one, if you haven't seen it.

Ethnic group
    Italian

I'll PM you with the details.

We were actually just watching a Pixar movie on Disney+ that takes place in your region, it is called "Luca". It was a really good one, if you haven't seen it.
    Thanks, I was just reading it. I like the itinerary a lot; although I've been to some of the places before no problem going again, and I really like that it goes to Ephesus and Istanbul. :)

Check the Magna Graecia museum in Reggio on your way to Messina, there's a lot of relevant stuff that is often discussed here. Like Aegean and East Med relics in the Bronze Age section, more realistic busts and some masks with intact polichromy and so on

Ethnic group
    Italian

You can see the Riace Bronzes there. Spectacular.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

Hi Angela: I got your message last week. I responded back in a PM but not sure it went through.

Cheers

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Hopefully we will have time to see it, but I believe we are indeed planning to take an excursion to Reggio Calabria.

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

Enjoy your time in the Mediterranean! These are all great places to visit. I have been to all of them except Messina, Mykonos and Santorini, but I'd like to go there too.
    Check this selection of my best forum topics
    My book selection
    ---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thanks Maciamo! I'm excited to finally see all of these interesting places. Now that my child is vaccinated (1 dose thus far) we can confidently travel.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

We are also planning on spending a few days in Rome prior to departure of our ship.

Ethnic group
    Italian

We are also planning on spending a few days in Rome prior to departure of our ship.
    That's a great idea.

I hope the heat breaks a bit for you. They're even moaning in Britain. Bring large insulated water bottles and some cloth handkerchiefs. Everywhere you turn there will be water fountains on the walls and keep refilling them. One summer when the children were older it was so hot we would dunk our whole heads under them and I'd wet the handkerchiefs and put them around our necks. The tourists looked at us strangely, but that's what my mother did. Big wide-brimmed hats are important too, especially if you're fair.

Are you backpacking the baby? That's what I used to do with mine. My husband would face them in the baby carrier not to the front but to the back sometimes so they could really see things. It stopped a lot of the fussing. When it was nap time we faced them in and they'd just fall asleep. We knew approximately when they'd sleep so we even scheduled indoor museums for those times.

As for the people, Italians really love babies, children, as you know, all Mediterraneans, really. It was like traveling with royalty. Once my son was really fussy and started screaming in the restaurant. I was so upset, but the waiters were like, stop worrying; he's got a great set of lungs. :)

Oh, do they make UV protective clothing for babies now? I wish I'd had them for me back in the day. :)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thank you for all the tips Angela! :)

Indeed, we use a sunblock now that is made for babies by Aveeno.

We are also bringing the baby-carrier that is front facing.

We actually did the wet handkerchief thing too in Portugal when we went back in the summer of 2019 I believe. It really was a life saver.

I'm happy to be bringing my child around the world at such a young age, so they can grow up with an appreciation of other cultures, and history; to be erudite and well traveled.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thank you for all the tips Angela! :)

Indeed, we use a sunblock now that is made for babies by Aveeno.

We are also bringing the baby-carrier that is front facing.

We actually did the wet handkerchief thing too in Portugal when we went back in the summer of 2019 I believe. It really was a life saver.

I'm happy to be bringing my child around the world at such a young age, so they can grow up with an appreciation of other cultures, and history; to be erudite and well traveled.
    I traveled with mine once they were six months old and never regretted it.

Partly it was because going home once or twice a year was a necessity for me, and I wanted them to grow to love it and the relatives, partly to expose them to the world in general.

Also, to be honest, we really didn't want to be apart from them for a week or two at a time. We did a few week-ends alone when my parents were alive to watch them, but for longer periods we just didn't do it. We both come from very traditional Italian families where you go nowhere without your children, and that's how we did it too. My "American" friends didn't understand it, as they didn't understand some of my choices about work, or how our household ran, but so be it.

One of my great pleasures is when we're all together now and all the stories start rolling about all our experiences, some upsetting at the time, but very funny now. You'll make memories together that will sustain them even when you're gone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast