Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
After all this time due to the pandemic, we are finally going to go on a vacation outside of North America. Because we have an infant we want to do a cruise. We are going to depart from Rome, then go to Naples, Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, and Kusadasi (Ephesus), and back.

After all this time due to the pandemic, we are finally going to go on a vacation outside of North America. Because we have an infant we want to do a cruise. We are going to depart from Rome, then go to Naples, Messina, Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, Istanbul, and Kusadasi (Ephesus), and back.

Congrats. I was thinking about going to Italy again this summer, but held off. So next summer it is. Hit Rome again for a few days, hit the Eastern Part of Sicily (Ragusa, Syracuse, Catania and Messina), have been to the other 5 Provinces, and take in some of the Southern Italian Regions and visit maybe Matera in Basilicata, and Southern Puglia and see some of the archeological parks there and see Altamura Man and those ancient WHG in Paglicci. Also hit the Catholic Dioceses in areas to do research past the civil records, which I have done on both paternal and maternal lines.

Have a safe trip. PT

How marvelous. I hope you have time to go to Pompeii for a few hours.

I should be in Italy before the end of next month, … Surely my Salentini friends and relatives can't wait to see me again, … :unsure: obviously :grin:

I should be in Italy before the end of next month, … Surely my Salentini friends and relatives can't wait to see me again, … :unsure: obviously :grin:

Congrats Salento. How far are your relatives from Altamura and the Park there? I may have asked this before?

Congrats Salento. How far are your relatives from Altamura and the Park there? I may have asked this before?

… about 100 miles, Puglia is a big Region, … aka Le Puglie (plural).

… about 100 miles, Puglia is a big Region, … aka Le Puglie (plural).

Yes, you are correct, very long South to North. So your family is a good ways away from Altamura. If you happen to make it there, let me know what you think, I would like to visit the park/museum there.

Yes, you are correct, very long South to North. So your family is a good ways away from Altamura. If you happen to make it there, let me know what you think, I would like to visit the park/museum there.

I shall, … though that’s Jovialis’ land :)

Apulia's coastline is longer than that of any other mainland Italian region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apulia

I shall, … though that’s Jovialis’ land :)

Apulia's coastline is longer than that of any other mainland Italian region.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apulia

Ok, so Altamura is near Bari (Central Puglia), your family comes from further South in Puglia. The Paglicci cave is in the Northern. So any trip there would require several days at minimum at least. So next summer to do what I would like to do, I could be looking at 3 weeks again, maybe 4 (last time was a 3 week trip in 2019).

Have a wonderful time Jov! Looking at the destinations it seems you know what you are doing, great mix of good food, nice beaches, and great historical locations. Good way to stimulate body and mind.

Enjoy well the trip Jovialis, and Salento too.
Of course dear Salento, you must be indispensable in a family reunion, I think:unsure:

Thanks for all the well wishes!

@Angela, we are planning to take an excursion to Pompeii.

Also, when we go to Santorini, we are going to see the "Minoan Pompeii", Akrotiri, which was also destroyed by a volcano in 1500 BC.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

@Angela, we are planning to take an excursion to Pompeii.

Also, when we go to Santorini, we are going to see the "Minoan Pompeii", Akrotiri, which was also destroyed by a volcano in 1500 BC.

You have to give me the trip info. The itinerary sounds great.

This year, though, if all goes well I'm going home for the grape harvest at the end of September, beginning of October.

As beautiful as my area is in the summer the last years have just been too brutally hot for me in the summer unless I'm up in the Apennines in my father's area. Hopefully it will have passed by the end of September.

You have to give me the trip info. The itinerary sounds great.

This year, though, if all goes well I'm going home for the grape harvest at the end of September, beginning of October.

As beautiful as my area is in the summer the last years have just been too brutally hot for me in the summer unless I'm up in the Apennines in my father's area. Hopefully it will have passed by the end of September.

I'll PM you with the details.

We were actually just watching a Pixar movie on Disney+ that takes place in your region, it is called "Luca". It was a really good one, if you haven't seen it.

I'll PM you with the details.

We were actually just watching a Pixar movie on Disney+ that takes place in your region, it is called "Luca". It was a really good one, if you haven't seen it.

Thanks, I was just reading it. I like the itinerary a lot; although I've been to some of the places before no problem going again, and I really like that it goes to Ephesus and Istanbul. :)

Check the Magna Graecia museum in Reggio on your way to Messina, there's a lot of relevant stuff that is often discussed here. Like Aegean and East Med relics in the Bronze Age section, more realistic busts and some masks with intact polichromy and so on

You can see the Riace Bronzes there. Spectacular.

riace-warriors-recreations-godsincolor.jpg

Hi Angela: I got your message last week. I responded back in a PM but not sure it went through.

Cheers

Enjoy your time in the Mediterranean! These are all great places to visit. I have been to all of them except Messina, Mykonos and Santorini, but I'd like to go there too.

This thread has been viewed 5817 times.

Back