Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Southern Italian Ethnogenesis (My theory)

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    Greek names in Pompeii (mostly among the slaves). Those Greek names represent Anatolians, Levantines and of course ethnic Greek. In other words it is a indicator of the recent eastern origin. Pompeii was an Oscan speaking regions and it recolonized by Romans in 80BC following the language shift from Oscan to Latin.
    https://namenookdotcom.wordpress.com...le-of-pompeii/
    What does this matter if it is not represented in IBD analysis, and we know Imperial era Anatolian ancestry died away in late antiquity?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

Ethnic group
    Italian

It is true what you say about Pompeii however. Even our guide told us in Roman times, Pompeii was mostly a town for foreign merchants and prostitutes. I don't think many natives would have wanted to live there, since the volcanic sediment forced them to have open air sewers.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-M223
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2A3

Ethnic group
    Italian-Sicily-South

1 members found this post helpful.
    Jovialis: Sorry if I missed it but where are those Cetina Samples from, are those from the Southern Arc papers. Just curios, how do they compare to the Republican Roman samples from Antonio et al 2019 or the C6, C7, C5, clusters from that same paper?

Ethnic group
    Italian (tuscan)

As I said in the other thread (https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...l=1#post661093), Iron age greeks, or at least some of them, seem even more shifted towards contemporary cycladic inhabitants and southern italians.

In particular, some samples labelled as Himera_Civilian_Pop_med (the green diamonds) and others should cluster with the two "aegean-like" individuals from Iron Age Latium.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789