Guess my grandfather's ethnicity

Fitzalan

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M253
Screenshot_2022-07-10-10-58-21-776_air.com.myheritage.mobile.jpg
Screenshot_2022-06-21-19-00-17-296_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg

Second picture are his eldest grandchildren, my elder brother and me.

Classic Mediterranean face according to the "old" anthropologists.

Iberian no doubt, even if you didn't post a picture with that phrase on it,

Classic Mediterranean face according to the "old" anthropologists.

Iberian no doubt, even if you didn't post a picture with that phrase on it,

Correct! He is as Iberian as it gets (and so are my brother and me).

Let's not forget that some British people overlap on some Spanish people. I avow I was swinging between some northern Iberian and some "Brit", even if these bones features are by far lesser present in Britain, but it's the supposed light eyes and maybe skin pigmentation who pushed me to hesitate.

Let's not forget that some British people overlap on some Spanish people. I avow I was swinging between some northern Iberian and some "Brit", even if these bones features are by far lesser present in Britain, but it's the supposed light eyes and maybe skin pigmentation who pushed me to hesitate.

Sorry, Moesan, I have to disagree.

Even British people who have that kind of pigmentation don't look like the poster's grandfather and don't look Iberian at all to me.

Clive Owen:
clive-owen-2.jpg

High Grant
gettyimages-529204812.jpg

Even Jack Whitehall:
580471.jpg

The soft bone structure, the set of the eyes, it's all "off".

Sorry, Moesan, I have to disagree.

Even British people who have that kind of pigmentation don't look like the poster's grandfather and don't look Iberian at all to me.

Clive Owen:
clive-owen-2.jpg

High Grant
gettyimages-529204812.jpg

Even Jack Whitehall:
580471.jpg

The soft bone structure, the set of the eyes, it's all "off".
I agree with you. Most British islanders don't seem to look like Iberians. But sometimes here in Chile I see a guy that reminds me of Rowen Atkinson,Mr Bean. [emoji4]

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

aside the topic (or not?), Clive OWEN is surely of Welsh origin, if I rely on name and surname and even face?
Concerning the Angela's answer, I didn't hesitate too much,in fact, but I maintain some british people (not so rarely) can be confused with typical Iberian people concerning face bones. They even show different subtypes of South. But in no way I would affirm it's a too common case.
Some of the British people Angela posted have in fact too wide inferior jaw to correspond to the pure 'mediter' type. And Hugh Grant is not in the criteria of small 'mediter' neither. Too long face too high chin. Rather some 'nordic' input, maybe more than a so called 'atlanto-mediter' one. ATW when I speak of small gracile 'mediter' I don't speak of the 'atlanto-mediter'.

aside the topic (or not?), Clive OWEN is surely of Welsh origin, if I rely on name and surname and even face?
Concerning the Angela's answer, I didn't hesitate too much,in fact, but I maintain some british people (not so rarely) can be confused with typical Iberian people concerning face bones. They even show different subtypes of South. But in no way I would affirm it's a too common case.
Some of the British people Angela posted have in fact too wide inferior jaw to correspond to the pure 'mediter' type. And Hugh Grant is not in the criteria of small 'mediter' neither. Too long face too high chin. Rather some 'nordic' input, maybe more than a so called 'atlanto-mediter' one. ATW when I speak of small gracile 'mediter' I don't speak of the 'atlanto-mediter'.

I was just illustrating that the dark hair and blue eyes in the original post does not indicate that person looks British.

If we're talking about small Med types in the British Isles we've talked about it before.

What came to my mind immediately was David Tennant-Scottish:
GettyImages-821037490.jpg

He could pass in Southern Europe, but I wouldn't see a picture of him blind and say that.

Do you mean someone like Paul McGann? Again, I wouldn't look at him and say he has to be Spanish. Perhaps you can give me an example.

I was just illustrating that the dark hair and blue eyes in the original post does not indicate that person looks British.

If we're talking about small Med types in the British Isles we've talked about it before.

What came to my mind immediately was David Tennant-Scottish:

He could pass in Southern Europe, but I wouldn't see a picture of him blind and say that.

Do you mean someone like Paul McGann? Again, I wouldn't look at him and say he has to be Spanish. Perhaps you can give me an example.

THis actor you post above don't evoke me a true 'mediter' type, spite apparently rather gracile face: its proportions don't match and his face implies some HG elements, but after a process of gracilisation; the fact that as a whole the typical 'mediter' types are gracile doesn't mean that every light boned face is of 'mediter' type - here: his lean face is a bit too square: it could evok me some case of 'long barrows' people (dolichocephalic with low skull and rather small BUT rather square face as average: for me a crossing between one 'mediter' type and some 'croma' remnants.
concerning frequence, dark air + true light eyes are more common among British people than in Iberia, sorry.

Jack Whitehall has more soft flesh traits than soft bones traits in my mind. As a whole don't evok South too much. BTW Beard can abuse us sometimes.
All that is just my thoughts, no more. and types are idealizations of common features among some people, not ethnic per se (very often a person is between types more than on one type, I know you agree on that. Ethnies are close to one stereotypical type, or are known for the specific crossing of stereotypical types not shared by other ethnies as a whole (always individual exceptions). Some ethnies are even very difficult to identify after too much components in the crossing, then only a few individuals are identified, but ironically with OTHER ethnies!

Jack Whitehall has more soft flesh traits than soft bones traits in my mind. As a whole don't evok South too much. BTW Beard can abuse us sometimes.
All that is just my thoughts, no more. and types are idealizations of common features among some people, not ethnic per se (very often a person is between types more than on one type, I know you agree on that. Ethnies are close to one stereotypical type, or are known for the specific crossing of stereotypical types not shared by other ethnies as a whole (always individual exceptions). Some ethnies are even very difficult to identify after too much components in the crossing, then only a few individuals are identified, but ironically with OTHER ethnies!

Sorry, I posted Jack Whitehall twice.

This is Paul McGann:
Paul-McGann-as-The-Eighth-Doctor-scaled.jpg

I suppose someone could say he looks a bit Basque like in certain photos, but that's about it.

Regardless, I don't think I made myself clear. My point was that I couldn't think of a single person of British descent who looked typically Iberian, like the person in the original post (eye color being irrelevant, and focusing on the bone structure), which I thought you were saying is not uncommon.

The two people who come closest to my mind among the English as looking "Med", if not precisely of the OP typse, are both Ashkenazi Jews:

Charlie Chaplin, who doesn't have a long face, of course, but who definitely looks Mediterranean to me.
Charlie-Chaplin-Young.jpg

Leslie Howard:
3066894.jpg

Jeremy Northam looks more Italian than Iberian to me:
b91d5a2da29d0b970be9cf114d0c63d4.jpg

Perhaps the Welsh Ivor Novello? He's the only one I could drag out of my memory bank. :)
ivor-novello-welsh-actor-songwriter-and-dramatist-1893-to-1951-A7HJ9T.jpg

Can you give me an example of all these British people?

This thread has been viewed 2399 times.

Back