Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 418

Thread: Is anthrogenica.com gone?

  1. #176
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Riverman, you posted on AG at a higher rate than almost anyone and I know you recognize its value as an open science paradise frequented by some of the most informed and reasonable people in the population genomics space. If you want into the Discord server, just email me.

    As for the invectives directed at me and my associates on AG by some of the ignoramuses on this forum, I'm just embarrassed for you.

    1.) Charges of AG being too strict:
    AG was special because of the academic-style decorum it observed and enforced. It was supposed to be a highbrow space for scientific inquiry and discussion, not a playground for ethnocentrists and nationalists. If we let anybody run roughshod over the TOS, it would have completely defeated the purpose of the forum. By the way, even Davidski was banned on AG several times. The mods didn't play! So much for unabashed Davidski worship!

    2.) Charges of bias:
    I spent years on anthrofora as the most vociferous anti-Nordicist, pro-Mediterranean celebrant in the world. I've earned my bona fides, so the butthurt ghouls speaking ill of me or AG don't have a leg to stand on. The completely banal recognition of minor Levantine ancestry in certain Southern Europeans doesn't make a person a "Levantinist." It means they live in reality. I wonder how many people in here deny the minor North African ancestry in Spaniards and Portuguese, too. I don't even want to know.

    As far as being a Davidski acolyte goes, you might as well accuse me of being a David Reich-ballhugger, Nick Patterson worshipper, Iosif Lazaridis disciple. That's how silly you sound. I like these guys because I respect them. I've engaged with Davidski on matters anthropological since before this forum existed. We've had both moments of agreement and disagreement over the years; he's a good egg and one of the best open scientists I've ever met. There's a reason Nick Patterson has engaged with Davidski on his blog and not with any of you; there's a reason his method has been cited in a recent aDNA paper as inspiring a methodology used therein. And AG has been cited, too. AG is frequented mostly by people who follow the preponderance of evidence, and the nature of an open science community ensures disagreement with poorly argued conclusions or methodological decisions made by certain academics in the field; it also includes a lot of praise and result replication. And if I thought the evidence pointed to PIE coming from the Near East, I'd be delighted. I care about what's true, not what I want to believe. And if David Reich has an smoking gun in Southern Arc to change my mind, that would be most welcome. This is a lesson in character many of you could stand to learn.

    One way or another the community will survive. For those too blind or stupid to understand the value of a forum like that, that's entirely your loss.
    The irony which you didn't see is that on AG for identical post you will be suspended at least, just for "language". Here not and it is a difference.
    So you self-restrict your true style there it seems...

  2. #177
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,868

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Rare e-fgc7391 972AD
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay

    Direct paternal line : mizrahi from damascus
    Ftdna path
    E-M96>CTS9083>P147>P177>M215>M35>Z827>CTS10298>PF196 2>M123>M34>L795>S11835>S12033>S11956>S11168>S10483 >BY96055

  3. #178
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    Nope it is only first page of the forum archived in March 2022.

    The last working copy for most interestingy sections or threads (except first page) is from October 2021, especially for section General, Autosomal, Haplogroups and Ancient Genetics. Except some regional sections for some reasons which could be quite new, probably not blocked from indexing.

    And it is AG fault, they restricted Google (so Wayback Machine too) from archiving content some months ago.
    I wondered why they did that but here is the result.

  4. #179
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    7,841

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    The irony which you didn't see is that on AG for identical post you will be suspended at least, just for "language". Here not and it is a difference.
    So you self-restrict your true style there it seems...
    Indeed, moreover, a group of t-rolls would have free reign to harangue him as well over at AG.

  5. #180
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    7,841

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    The main reason why anthrogenica was more active was because it dealt with the entire world of genetics, while eupedia is primarily based on Europe.

  6. #181
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    The main reason why anthrogenica was more active was because it dealt with the entire world of genetics, when eupedia is primarily based on Europe.
    Yes, really there is active group of Turkish, Maghrebi, Kurdish, Indian, Pakistani, or Horner users interested in genetics so they can't realise here.

  7. #182
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    7,841

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Yes, really there is active group of Turkish, Maghrebi, Kurdish, Indian, Pakistani, or Horner users interested in genetics so they can't realise here.
    Moreover, I think Europeans are probably less interested in genetics compared to other groups. IRL, I know most Italians don't really care about the subject.

  8. #183
    Advisor Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Posts
    7,841

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1b2a2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b7

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    2 members found this post helpful.
    ^^Of all the European groups I think Albanians are probably the most interested in genetics, because relative to their population size (2.8 million) there are many participants. Which is not a bad thing (clearly since I like it too), but it is just something I noticed.

  9. #184
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    ^^Of all the European groups I think Albanians are probably the most interested in genetics, because relative to their population size (2.8 million) there are many participants. Which is not a bad thing (clearly since I like it too), but it is just something I noticed.
    Yes indeed, generally Balkanites and Greeks among Europeans. Then Brits. Then Iberians. Such order more or less.

  10. #185
    Regular Member real expert's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-09-16
    Posts
    665


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Basil View Post
    Riverman, you posted on AG at a higher rate than almost anyone and I know you recognize its value as an open science paradise frequented by some of the most informed and reasonable people in the population genomics space. If you want into the Discord server, just email me.

    As for the invectives directed at me and my associates on AG by some of the ignoramuses on this forum, I'm just embarrassed for you.

    1.) Charges of AG being too strict:
    AG was special because of the academic-style decorum it observed and enforced. It was supposed to be a highbrow space for scientific inquiry and discussion, not a playground for ethnocentrists and nationalists. If we let anybody run roughshod over the TOS, it would have completely defeated the purpose of the forum. By the way, even Davidski was banned on AG several times. The mods didn't play! So much for unabashed Davidski worship!

    2.) Charges of bias:
    I spent years on anthrofora as the most vociferous anti-Nordicist, pro-Mediterranean celebrant in the world. I've earned my bona fides, so the butthurt ghouls speaking ill of me or AG don't have a leg to stand on. The completely banal recognition of minor Levantine ancestry in certain Southern Europeans doesn't make a person a "Levantinist." It means they live in reality. I wonder how many people in here deny the minor North African ancestry in Spaniards and Portuguese, too. I don't even want to know.


    In my opinion, the issue with AG isn't that they were too strict, but that the Mods were too biased with the double standards, which resulted in different treatments of users that behaved the same. For instance, certain Afro-centrists from ES often derailed topics about Ancient Egypt, Basal Eurasians, Natufians/Iberomaurusian. By doing so, they regularly were responsible for threads getting closed, many comments erased and other users getting infractions and yet they got a free pass. Plus, these Afro-centrists were never banned for repeatedly accusing others of racism, white supremacy, or anti-blackness for the mere fact, that they didn't accept their assertion that BE, Natufians, or Ancient Egyptians were a subset of "African diversity". The thing is, that the Afro-centrists on AG use inflammatory language, and everybody who engages in a hot debate with them either risks a ban or gets permanently banned. In contrast, the Afro-centrists that started the strife get away with it. Matter of fact, posters that don't have the favor of the Mods get banned for ridiculous and harmless reasons.


    However, I agree with you on this, on AG there was no room for Nordicism or white supremacy at all. On the contrary.

  11. #186
    Banned
    Join Date
    12-10-16
    Posts
    1,262


    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    ^^Of all the European groups I think Albanians are probably the most interested in genetics, because relative to their population size (2.8 million) there are many participants. Which is not a bad thing (clearly since I like it too), but it is just something I noticed.
    Albanians are 10 million. Outside of Eupedia I tend to see more Greeks than Albanians interested in Genetics but Albanians are among them with other Balkanites. But it mostly about Ancient Greeks and Illyrians I suppose.

  12. #187
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,868

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Rare e-fgc7391 972AD
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Nope it is only first page of the forum archived in March 2022.

    The last working copy for most interestingy sections or threads (except first page) is from October 2021, especially for section General, Autosomal, Haplogroups and Ancient Genetics. Except some regional sections for some reasons which could be quite new, probably not blocked from indexing.

    And it is AG fault, they restricted Google (so Wayback Machine too) from archiving content some months ago.
    I wondered why they did that but here is the result.
    bummer
    do you think it will be back someday ?
    i was banned forever years ago but i was able to read the threads by translated form

  13. #188
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    bummer
    do you think it will be back someday ?
    i was banned forever years ago but i was able to read the threads by translated form
    It could be just paying 13.98 USD for renewal But why some admin in charge can't pay cost of his lunch it is another problem.

  14. #189
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    07-05-19
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    8

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    DF27, z195, FT372222
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2b

    Country: USA - Missouri



    Quote Originally Posted by Jovialis View Post
    Moreover, I think Europeans are probably less interested in genetics compared to other groups. IRL, I know most Italians don't really care about the subject.

    I know the French are rather disinterested much to my dismay.


    Nordicists should neve be tolerated in any context.... It's the spanish-nationalists that had me on the ropes, easier to just clam up keep my thoughts to myself than to argue and get banned, learned my lesson.

  15. #190
    Banned
    Join Date
    12-10-16
    Posts
    1,262


    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas View Post
    Nope it is only first page of the forum archived in March 2022.

    The last working copy for most interestingy sections or threads (except first page) is from October 2021, especially for section General, Autosomal, Haplogroups and Ancient Genetics. Except some regional sections for some reasons which could be quite new, probably not blocked from indexing.

    And it is AG fault, they restricted Google (so Wayback Machine too) from archiving content some months ago.
    I wondered why they did that but here is the result.
    Could you archive the whole forum in the past? Like when I am lurking older posts and I am not signed in, it only gives a limited amount of pages to lurk.
    So if I used the archived version back when it was available I would not have issue with it?

  16. #191
    Regular Member Luso's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-11-21
    Posts
    58

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-Z225
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c3

    Ethnic group
    Portuguese
    Country: USA - New York



    Yes, I think you're right about Europeans not caring much about DNA testing. Overwhelming majority of Portuguese (and Spanish too I'm sure) don't care about DNA testing. Probably a big reason why I barely have any close matches from Portugal on all 3 platforms (23andMe, AncestryDNA, and FTDNA). Most of my matches are latin americans in central and south America.

  17. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    12-10-16
    Posts
    1,262


    Country: Albania



    Anthrogenica also provided a very large selection of samples both ancient and modern provided of G25 from Michalis. I would recommend Michalis to open a blog of his own and share his good work if Anthrogenica does not come back.

  18. #193
    Regular Member mwauthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-12-16
    Location
    California
    Posts
    283

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-FT213710
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K2a6

    Ethnic group
    Namur Belgium and Quebec Canada
    Country: United States



    I didn’t really surf enough of the website on a regular basis to have a meaningful opinion on the aforementioned issues.


    I did regularly surf the academic studies section and the I1 haplogroup section and found the updates and discussions of certain studies to be helpful to my own research. I was especially looking forward to the continuing analysis and discussion of the forthcoming Anglo-Saxon study. Hopefully, we’ll be able to produce a similarly helpful and informative thread here.
    I1 > I-FT213710

    YFull id: YF68407



  19. #194
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-03-20
    Posts
    1,811


    Country: Austria



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luso View Post
    Yes, I think you're right about Europeans not caring much about DNA testing. Overwhelming majority of Portuguese (and Spanish too I'm sure) don't care about DNA testing. Probably a big reason why I barely have any close matches from Portugal on all 3 platforms (23andMe, AncestryDNA, and FTDNA). Most of my matches are latin americans in central and south America.
    The main reasons for Germans not to test are concerns about privacy and what the big, international companies might do with their data. That's the No. 1 reason for Germans not to test. Everything else comes at a distance, but clearly, the records are better available in many European countries and you can do a lot of genealogical research without testing.
    In America, many trees end with the great-grandparents and with entries which make no sense or give such meaningful places of origin like "Germany", "Austria" or "Bohemia", and sometimes even that is wrong. You never find the local records based on that in too many instances. So for many genealogically interested Americans, the DNA option is the only way to discover more about their genealogical and ethnic heritage. In other parts of Europe, that's different. You can sometimes research your ancestors back to Medieval Times - in paper records.

  20. #195
    Regular Member kingjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-09-16
    Posts
    1,868

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Rare e-fgc7391 972AD
    MtDNA haplogroup
    h3ap

    Country: Uruguay



    anthrogenica choose such a bad timing to fall down
    just before the papers :on the southern arc
    and
    the paper from the ancient balkan y dna thread
    i think both are expected soon

  21. #196
    Regular Member Lukas's Avatar
    Join Date
    23-04-17
    Posts
    321


    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    Could you archive the whole forum in the past? Like when I am lurking older posts and I am not signed in, it only gives a limited amount of pages to lurk.
    So if I used the archived version back when it was available I would not have issue with it?
    What it suprising this post limit still is active even on archive.org copy (I saw it few times when checking archived AG threads) but now you can't log in to avoid it.

  22. #197
    Elite member
    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,427

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L617
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6a

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    I got this message from someone:

    "If anyone does want to access the site right now you just need to add this to your local hosts file:

    188.114.98.160 anthrogenica.com "
    There are words which carry the presage of defeat. Defence is such a word. What is the result of an even victorious defence? The next attempt of imposing it to that weaker, defender. The attacker, despite temporary setback, feels the master of situation.

  23. #198
    Regular Member Flann Fina's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-08-20
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    59

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    I1-FT80854
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1e2

    Ethnic group
    English, Scottish & Irish
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwauthy View Post
    I didn’t really surf enough of the website on a regular basis to have a meaningful opinion on the aforementioned issues.


    I did regularly surf the academic studies section and the I1 haplogroup section and found the updates and discussions of certain studies to be helpful to my own research. I was especially looking forward to the continuing analysis and discussion of the forthcoming Anglo-Saxon study. Hopefully, we’ll be able to produce a similarly helpful and informative thread here.
    Unfortunately, the timing couldn’t have been worse for us. As I’m also very interested in the Anglo Saxon paper. As kingjohn pointed out, a lot of the regular anthrogenica users have moved over to Discord. So you may want to check it out:

    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...l=1#post651761

  24. #199
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    11-05-22
    Posts
    265


    Country: Japan-Osaka



    Quote Originally Posted by ihype02 View Post
    Albanians are 10 million. Outside of Eupedia I tend to see more Greeks than Albanians interested in Genetics but Albanians are among them with other Balkanites. But it mostly about Ancient Greeks and Illyrians I suppose.
    I don't think we are even 10 million. More like 7 maybe all around the world.

    Albanian dna project is nowhere even as big or active as the Serbian.

  25. #200
    Advisor Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    21,556


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjohn View Post
    anthrogenica choose such a bad timing to fall down
    just before the papers :on the southern arc
    and
    the paper from the ancient balkan y dna thread
    i think both are expected soon
    So nice to know you don't trust us to adequately analyze the papers.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •