Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Ancestry of Pontic Greeks

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Ancestry of Pontic Greeks

    Pontic Greeks are considered as the ancestors of ionian greeks who settled in Trabzon.Is that true?

    According to my research based on vahaduo,Pontic Greeks have 19% european ancestry and 81% asian.Pontic Greeks have 16,8% Greek ancestry.


    Vahaduo_ Global 25 Views.jpg
    Red dot is Pontic Greeks

    By the way can someone help me post sources from Admixture JS? I cant.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    17-03-16
    Posts
    581


    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    Pontic Greeks are considered as the ancestors of ionian greeks who settled in Trabzon.Is that true?

    According to my research based on vahaduo,Pontic Greeks have 19% european ancestry and 81% asian.Pontic Greeks have 16,8% Greek ancestry.


    Vahaduo_ Global 25 Views.jpg
    Red dot is Pontic Greeks

    By the way can someone help me post sources from Admixture JS? I cant.
    Wait for an ancient Ionic sample and use other sources that could make historical sense e.g. a 'Colchian' CHG heavy source. Maybe Iranic (Persian), Anatolian (Cappadocian) and Semetic ('White Syrian') sources. Maybe Imperial Roman?

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by A. Papadimitriou View Post
    Wait for an ancient Ionic sample and use other sources that could make historical sense e.g. a 'Colchian' CHG heavy source. Maybe Iranic (Persian), Anatolian (Cappadocian) and Semetic ('White Syrian') sources. Maybe Imperial Roman?
    Yes we must wait for an ancient ionic sample.I think that colchian makes historical sense.Colchis was in Georgia and Laz people are from Georgia.

  4. #4
    researcher
    Join Date
    19-07-22
    Posts
    240

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-A12332*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6*

    Country: Greece



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The colonists were already a mix of Ionic and Carian people when they settled there (Eastern Pontus). Historical and ethnographic sources mention the Macrones (proto-Kartvelians, later to be named Tzan/Tsan/Tzanni) and the Colchians (ancestors of the Laz speakers) as their immediate neighbors (see Herodotus and Xenophon). That's in pre-Roman and early Roman era.

    During Byzantine times, especially of the late period, ie post-1204 A.D., there is historical mention of other groups like the local Laz, Georgians, Armenians, Christianised Turks and others, as being part of the population corpus of the Komnenian Empire of Trebizond.

    Then you have the Western/Bithynian Pontics who are mentioned as colonists/relatives to Capaddocians and Thracians, those of the Crimean peninsula, as well as the rest of the Caucasus, like Georgia and Abkhazia, etc.

    So there is variation between each geographical part.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    The colonists were already a mix of Ionic and Carian people when they settled there (Eastern Pontus). Historical and ethnographic sources mention the Macrones (proto-Kartvelians, later to be named Tzan/Tsan/Tzanni) and the Colchians (ancestors of the Laz speakers) as their immediate neighbors (see Herodotus and Xenophon). That's in pre-Roman and early Roman era.

    During Byzantine times, especially of the late period, ie post-1204 A.D., there is historical mention of other groups like the local Laz, Georgians, Armenians, Christianised Turks and others, as being part of the population corpus of the Komnenian Empire of Trebizond.

    Then you have the Western/Bithynian Pontics who are mentioned as colonists/relatives to Capaddocians and Thracians, those of the Crimean peninsula, as well as the rest of the Caucasus, like Georgia and Abkhazia, etc.

    So there is variation between each geographical part.
    I agree that the colonists were a mix of ionic-carian dna.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    14-02-21
    Posts
    21

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U106 > Z8

    Country: USA - North Carolina



    Can we get a higher def image?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by billyh View Post
    Can we get a higher def image?
    sorry i dont know how to do it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •