Neolithic mtdna from Greece

kingjohn

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
e-fgc7391 500CE
mtDNA haplogroup
h3ap
Ancient mitochondrial diversity reveals population homogeneity in Neolithic Greece and identifies population dynamics along the Danubian expansion axis

Abstract

The aim of the study is to investigate mitochondrial diversity in Neolithic Greece and its relation to hunter-gatherers and farmers who populated the Danubian Neolithic expansion axis. We sequenced 42 mitochondrial palaeogenomes from Greece and analysed them together with European set of 328 mtDNA sequences dating from the Early to the Final Neolithic and 319 modern sequences. To test for population continuity through time in Greece, we use an original structured population continuity test that simulates DNA from different periods by explicitly considering the spatial and temporal dynamics of populations. We explore specific scenarios of the mode and tempo of the European Neolithic expansion along the Danubian axis applying spatially explicit simulations coupled with Approximate Bayesian Computation. We observe a striking genetic homogeneity for the maternal line throughout the Neolithic in Greece whereas population continuity is rejected between the Neolithic and present-day Greeks. Along the Danubian expansion axis, our best-fitting scenario supports a substantial decrease in mobility and an increasing local hunter-gatherer contribution to the gene-pool of farmers following the initial rapid Neolithic expansion. Οur original simulation approach models key demographic parameters rather than inferring them from fragmentary data leading to a better understanding of this important process in European prehistory.

SOURCE:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-022-16745-8

Thanks for sharing, but I think it is likely they came from Central Anatolia, considering Greece_N has autosomal DNA from Anatolian_N plus a bit of CHG.

41598_2022_16745_Fig2_HTML.png

(a) Haplogroup frequency at different Neolithic periods in Greece. (b) Haplogroup frequency at different Neolithic sites in Greece (EN: Early Neolithic n = 13, MN: Middle Neolithic, n = 5, LN: Late Neolithic n = 13, FN: Final Neolithic n = 11).

41598_2022_16745_Fig1_HTML.png

red is early neolithic farmers
blue is middle to late/ final neolithic farmers

here are the mtdna types that been found:
Rev 4- Revenia-Katerini,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- H
Rev 6- Revenia-Katerini,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- H46

Mau 1-Mavropigi,Filotsairi- Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- H5
Mau 2-Mavropigi,Filotsairi- Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- T2b23
Mau 4-Mavropigi,Filotsairi- Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- H46
Mau 5-Mavropigi,Filotsairi- Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- T2f

Xir 1-Xirolimni-Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- T2c1d1
Xir 2-Xirolimni-Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- T1a5
Xir 4a -Xirolimni-Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- K1a1
Xir 5 -Xirolimni-Kozani,Macedonia-Early Neolithic- K1a24

Nea 1-Nea Nikomideia-Imathia Macedonia-Early Neolithic-K1a4b
Nea 4 -Nea Nikomideia-Imathia Macedonia-Early Neolithic-H
Nea 5 -Nea Nikomideia-Imathia Macedonia-Early Neolithic-H

NS 1-Makri-Alexandroupolis,Tharce- Middle Neolithic-H1
NS 2-Makri-Alexandroupolis,Tharce- Middle Neolithic-J1c7

St 2-Stavroupoli- Thessaloniki Macedonia- Middle Neolithic-N1a1a1a3
St 3-Stavroupoli- Thessaloniki Macedonia- Middle Neolithic-K1a
St 5-Stavroupoli- Thessaloniki Macedonia- Middle Neolithic-H

Krk 1-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-K1a1
Krk 2-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-H
Krk 4-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-U8b1a1

Krk 7-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-K1a3a3
Krk 8-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-N1a1a1a
Krk 9-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-H
Krk 10-Toumba Kremastis Koiladas- Kozani Macedonia-Late Neolithic-K1a4a1

Mkg 9-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic-T2b
Mkg 10-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic-J1c3j
Mkg 11-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic-K1a
Mkg 12-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic-U7b
Mkg 13-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic- K1a

Fra 8-Franchthi Cave- Argolis Peloponnese-Late Neolithic-U3b3

Pal 1-Paliambela Kolindrou- Katerini Macedonia-Final Neolithic-U4b3
Pal 2-Paliambela Kolindrou- Katerini Macedonia-Final Neolithic-K1a7
Pal 6-Paliambela Kolindrou- Katerini Macedonia-Final Neolithic-K1a7

Klei 4-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-K1a4a1
Klei 2-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-J1c1
Klei 9-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-K1a4

Klei 5-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-HV
Klei 6-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-H29

Klei 7-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-H29
Klei 8-Kleitos- Kozani Macedonia-Final Neolithic-J1c2

Tha 2- Tharrounia-Euboea island-Late/Final Neolithic-H5

Last edited:
Code:
Greece_N:Klei10:Hofmanova_2016,0,0,2.1,0.17,46.06,0,0,0,14.18,0,35.73,1.76
Greece_N:Pal7:Hofmanova_2016,0,0,4.41,0.01,47.42,0,0,0,13.07,0.67,32.97,1.44
Greece_N:Rev5:Hofmanova_2016,0,0,4.74,0,48.42,0,0,0,12.15,0.13,33.21,1.35
Greece_N:I2937:Lazaridis_2017,0,0,2.55,1.31,44.77,0,0,0,12.74,0,36.69,1.95
Greece_N:I5427:Mathieson_2018,0,0,2.49,0,48.75,0,0,0,14.27,0,33.81,0.67
Greece_N:I2318:Mathieson_2018,0,0,3.07,0,44.19,0,0,0,13.34,0,39.27,0.13
Greece_N:I3708:Mathieson_2018,0,0.11,4.14,0,44.52,0,0,0.08,15.81,0,35.15,0.18
Greece_N:I3709:Mathieson_2018,0,0,2.84,0.05,41.04,0,0,0,13.53,0,41.5,1.04
Greece_N:I3920:Mathieson_2018,0.45,0,4.53,0.27,35.93,1.27,0,0,15.22,0,41.57,0.76

Here are the samples we have processed thus far.

Since I am U7 myself, I am particularly interested in the „Mkg 12-Makriyalos-Katerini Macedonia-Late Neolithic-U7b“ sample. This lineage is without doubt a CHG/Iran derived haplogroup.

I'll have to read the paper, but I don't see how they conclude there's no continuity in mtdna if they're going by that graphic. T took a hit, it's true, and the J1 mtdna came in with later movements from Anatolia probably, and yes, a bit of U was added with incorporation of hg females, but there's still an awful lot of continuity from how it looks to me.

I'll have to read the paper, but I don't see how they conclude there's no continuity in mtdna if they're going by that graphic. T took a hit, it's true, and the J1 mtdna came in with later movements from Anatolia probably, and yes, a bit of U was added with incorporation of hg females, but there's still an awful lot of continuity from how it looks to me.

i am not a big fan of autosomal anlaysis
but in order to understand the process we have to look at the late/ final neolithic genomes
to see if there are influences from the east autosomaly speaking which the early neolithic samples from greece lack

in the middle of the page there is this :
The accession number for the bam files of the ancient mtDNA genomes reported in study is European Nucleotide Archive: PRJEB52148

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/browser/view/PRJEB52148

unfortantley i don't see the genomes bam yet
that is what i see at the moment that might change in the future
No records were found for PRJEB52148.

i am not a big fan of autosomal anlaysis
but in order to understand the process we have to look at the late/ final neolithic genomes
to see if there are influences from the east autosomaly speaking which the early neolithic samples from greece lack

in the middle of the page there is this :
The accession number for the bam files of the ancient mtDNA genomes reported in study is European Nucleotide Archive: PRJEB52148

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/browser/view/PRJEB52148

unfortantley i don't see the genomes bam yet
that is what i see at the moment that might change in the future
No records were found for PRJEB52148.

Do you mean to say that there is mtDna from the steppe? That seems possible given the "U" which shows up. I don't see how that means there's no continuity in mtDna.

Let's assume a situation in which 30% of the uniparentals in an area, or the autosomal dna in an area change with a migration. Does that mean there's no "continuity"? What is the magic percentage which indicates no continuity?

More importantly, do they give a percentage in the paper as to what percentage of the original mtDna was "replaced"?

Do you mean to say that there is mtDna from the steppe? That seems possible given the "U" which shows up. I don't see how that means there's no continuity in mtDna.

Let's assume a situation in which 30% of the uniparentals in an area, or the autosomal dna in an area change with a migration. Does that mean there's no "continuity"? What is the magic percentage which indicates no continuity?

More importantly, do they give a percentage in the paper as to what percentage of the original mtDna was "replaced"?

honestly i also don't understand why the paper claim there is no continuity in the mtdna
types from neolithic greek remains to present day modern greeks :unsure:

We observe a striking genetic homogeneity for the maternal line throughout the Neolithic in Greece whereas population continuity is rejected between the Neolithic and present-day Greeks

Last edited:
honestly i also don't understand why the paper claim there is no continuity in the mtdna
types from neolithic greek remains to present day modern greeks :unsure:

We observe a striking genetic homogeneity for the maternal line throughout the Neolithic in Greece whereas population continuity is rejected between the Neolithic and present-day Greeks
My background is Peloponnesian Greek and my maternal line is U3a3a and from what I’ve learned (recently) is that my maternal grandmother’s village was settled by one of the Slavic tribes in the Peloponnese (always believed it was Tsakonian but recently learned otherwise) haven’t done a deep dive but that the mtdna line is more closely associated with Caucasus folks.

My background is Peloponnesian Greek and my maternal line is U3a3a and from what I’ve learned (recently) is that my maternal grandmother’s village was settled by one of the Slavic tribes in the Peloponnese (always believed it was Tsakonian but recently learned otherwise) haven’t done a deep dive but that the mtdna line is more closely associated with Caucasus folks.

Well, being from the Caucasus could mean it went onto the steppe and then into Greece from the north, or it could mean it came into Greece from the east with the pulse of Iran Neo like ancestry.

You'd have to do more research into it, imo

This thread has been viewed 3928 times.

Back