Ottoman Empire (Balkans)

Loyal Ottoman Servants :LOL:

- Kosovo: A Short History

hm,

what are you talking about?
There is no church which can put taxes,
Where you find such crap?

A bishop can ask rent from someone, if uses the Vakufia land (monastery or church property)
this can be done by money, or by product,
But a church either Catholic either Orthodox either Protestant CAN NOT PUT TAXES !!!!

strange texts you find,

[h=3]1610
Marino Bizzi:
Report of a Visit to Parts of Turkey, Bar, Albania and Serbia[/h]
[FONT=&quot]When the time arrived, we set off on our journey to the city of Prizren, which we entered at two o'clock in the morning, this city being without walls as are almost all of these towns. The priest walked through the town with some trepidation because some janissaries had recently killed one another in his house. They had gone there for a meal. The Turks claimed that the priest ought to be punished, because the murderers got away.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]This city contains 8,600 quite large houses, almost all of which have courtyards like rural homes in Italy. It is larger than all other towns except Skopje which is 40 miles away. Prizren is irrigated by fountains and other sources of flowing water, which turn the water mills and enrichen and enliven the city.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Upon our arrival, we were told that some monks of the schismatic metropolitan had been waiting near the doorway of the priest's house where I was staying until one in the morning to meet me. The next morning I learned that they had only wanted to meet me. I heard nothing more of them during the three days I spent in Prizren, but on one of the mornings, the said schismatic metropolitan sent his janissary to force the priest to give him money, as usual.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this city, a bell rings from atop one of the many minarets which belong to the mosques. It keeps time by means of a clock built for the Turks by some Frenchmen, something quite unusual in Turkey. There are hardly more than 30 Latin homes. There is a church bearing the name of Our Lady of the Assumption, which within a short period was set on fire three times by the Turks and looted twice, in particular on the occasion of the murder among the janissaries. It has a good portico in front of it and a very large cemetery surrounded by walls. It has a chalice and paten and a small image with a silver cross, which is placed upon the altar when mass is celebrated. It had two silk chasubles with two nice tablecloths and a golden fore altar for the choir. There was no shrine, no baptistry and no holy oils. We therefore gave them some of ours. There are many schismatics in the city. They much exceed the number of the Latins, who have at their disposal only two churches out of the 80 they once had.[/FONT]

Source: [FONT=&quot][Extract from: [/FONT]Relatione della visita fatta da me, Marino Bizzi, Arcivescovo d'Antivari, nelle parti della Turchia, Antivari, Albania et Servia alla santità di nostro Signore papa Paolo V[FONT=&quot]. Published as: Franjo Racki (ed.): [/FONT]Izvještaj barskoga nadbiskupa Marina Bizzia o svojem putovanju god. 1610 po Arbanaskoj i Staroj Srbiji[FONT=&quot], in: [/FONT]Starine, na sviet izdaje Jugoslavenska Akademija Znanosti i Umjetnosti[FONT=&quot], Zagreb, 20 (1888), p. 50 156; and in: Injac Zamputi (ed.): [/FONT]Relacione mbi gjendjen e Shqipërisë veriore dhe të mesme në shekullin[FONT=&quot] XVII. vol. 1 (1610-1634), Tiranë 1963, p. 48 241. Translated from the Italian by Robert Elsie. [/FONT]First published in R. Elsie: Early Albania, a Reader of Historical Texts, 11th - 17th Centuries,[FONT=&quot] Wiesbaden 2003, p. 77-129.][/FONT]

Marino Bizzi:
Report of a Visit to Parts of Turkey, Bar, Albania and Serbia

Source: [Extract from: Relatione della visita fatta da me, Marino Bizzi, Arcivescovo d'Antivari, nelle parti della Turchia, Antivari, Albania et Servia alla santità di nostro Signore papa Paolo V. Published as: Franjo Racki (ed.): Izvještaj barskoga nadbiskupa Marina Bizzia o svojem putovanju god. 1610 po Arbanaskoj i Staroj Srbiji, in: Starine, na sviet izdaje Jugoslavenska Akademija Znanosti i Umjetnosti, Zagreb, 20 (1888), p. 50 156; and in: Injac Zamputi (ed.): Relacione mbi gjendjen e Shqipërisë veriore dhe të mesme në shekullin XVII. vol. 1 (1610-1634), Tiranë 1963, p. 48 241. Translated from the Italian by Robert Elsie. First published in R. Elsie: Early Albania, a Reader of Historical Texts, 11th - 17th Centuries, Wiesbaden 2003, p. 77-129.]

Prizren was an Albanian town back then. But turned entirely from Catholic into Muslim in the 1600's

Lazaro Soranzo, in the late sixteenth century, writing of 'Albanians, who live as Catholics, and observing that Prizren was inhabited ' more by Albanians than by Serbs')

the hidden schools

2Q==

Gizis_kryfo_skoleio.jpg

the painting is from 1715, island Tenos era0local status Francogracy
children learn and study Greek language under candle light probably at a house of a wealthy family, or at a cell of a monk,

Hidden school is a myth and a reality same time,
they usually provide basic elements to read and and calculate to a basic degree, lower than elementary,
mostly organised by families or community church in poor communities.
there were schools that era, but rare and not affordable,

Last edited:
Phanariote Greek Orthodox school in Adrianopolis/Edirne, 1902, Ottoman Empire.

1902.jpg

Everything out in the open, no need for secrecy.

Phanariote Greek Orthodox school in Adrianopolis/Edirne, 1902, Ottoman Empire.

1902.jpg

Everything out in the open, no need for secrecy.

Better distinguish eras,

as you say after1902, means after 1855 sultans Firman.
and Phanariotes means circle close to Patriarchat,

Do not mix eras.

Ah, so the problem is what era we are talking about, I am glad we are getting somewhere.

And Phanariotes were Greeks, in fact they were THE Greeks, the ethnonym was not exclusive to the pirates and the murdering thugs of morea.

Ah, so the problem is what era we are talking about, I am glad we are getting somewhere.
And Phanariotes were Greeks, in fact they were THE Greeks, the ethnonym was not exclusive to the pirates and the murdering thugs of morea.

Ipsilantis was also from phanariotes family,

but what is point,

when I provide hidden school you provide from 1902 which after 1855 era,
when we say about rights in Ottoman empire you provide rightd,

so since you carry greek flag explaine in Greek and English,

Could a christian m arrya Muslim girl? Could a Muslim marry a Christian girl?
Εδυνατο Ελλην νυμφευθει Μουσουλνανα? Το Αντιθετο?

Ipsilantis was also from phanariotes family,

but what is point,

when I provide hidden school you provide from 1902 which after 1855 era,
when we say about rights in Ottoman empire you provide rightd,

so since you carry greek flag explaine in Greek and English,

Could a christian m arrya Muslim girl? Could a Muslim marry a Christian girl?

No, they couldn't but I am not sure what is the point you are trying to make?

Could a Christian marry a Muslim in the rest of Europe, like in Austria-Hungary? Could there even be Muslims living next to Christians in Austria-Hungary (random example, extrapolate to other medieval european spaces of the time).

Were there mosques in the rest of Europe next to churches like there were in the Ottoman Empire for Greeks and others?

”Murdering thugs of the Morea” pretty harsh characterization. There were atrocities on both sides but there was actually minimal bloodshed between Christians unlike the French Revolution. My family in the Morea fought to protect their villages and they yearned for autonomy religious or otherwise. Would you want an occupying force in your backyard?

”Murdering thugs of the Morea” pretty harsh characterization. There were atrocities on both sides but there was actually minimal bloodshed between Christians unlike the French Revolution. My family in the Morea fought to protect their villages and they yearned for autonomy religious or otherwise. Would you want an occupying force in your backyard?

Yeah, right.

What does the slaughter of Tripolitsa have to do with the spirit of Hellenism?

Why should the rest of the Greeks carry this burden and shame of your pirate kingdom?

And let's not even mention your bloody in-fighting feuds and your vendettas, killing each other for the spoils of war.

Your people even threw your glorious war-leader, Kolokotronis, in the dungeon the moment he started disagreeing with the pirate clans.

Yeah, right.

What does the slaughter of Tripolitsa have to do with the spirit of Hellenism?

Why should the rest of the Greeks carry this burden and shame of your pirate kingdom?

And let's not even mention your bloody in-fighting feuds and your vendettas, killing each other for the spoils of war.

Your people even threw your glorious war-leader, Kolokotronis, in the dungeon the moment he started disagreeing with the pirate clans.

Hey you act like I’m somehow involved and or connected to the War of Independence. I’m a third generation US citizen(family arrived in the US around 1900) but pretty proud of my family history both here (US) and in Greece. Btw this historian’s view of the Peloponnese during the Revolution doesn’t align with yours.
https://youtu.be/N0Piwn4GKvU

No, they couldn't but I am not sure what is the point you are trying to make?

Could a Christian marry a Muslim in the rest of Europe, like in Austria-Hungary? Could there even be Muslims living next to Christians in Austria-Hungary (random example, extrapolate to other medieval european spaces of the time).

Were there mosques in the rest of Europe next to churches like there were in the Ottoman Empire for Greeks and others?

Get off the Greek flag,
You are not Greek,

!rst you did analyze in Greek.
2nd your answer proves you are not Greek

yeah, right.

What does the slaughter of tripolitsa have to do with the spirit of hellenism?

Why should the rest of the greeks carry this burden and shame of your pirate kingdom?

Your people even threw your glorious war-leader, kolokotronis, in the dungeon the moment he started disagreeing with the pirate clans.

remove th greek flag from your profile,
you are not greek.

Hey you act like I’m somehow involved and or connected to the War of Independence. I’m a third generation US citizen(family arrived in the US around 1900) but pretty proud of my family history both here (US) and in Greece. Btw this historian’s view of the Peloponnese during the Revolution doesn’t align with yours.
https://youtu.be/N0Piwn4GKvU

He is not Greek,

He is a Turk.

yeah, right.

What does the slaughter of tripolitsa have to do with the spirit of hellenism?

Why should the rest of the greeks carry this burden and shame of your pirate kingdom?

Your people even threw your glorious war-leader, kolokotronis, in the dungeon the moment he started disagreeing with the pirate clans.

turk
remove the greek flag from your profile.

@eupator
I'm not sure why you have such animosity towards certain Greek groups (at least that's the vibe I'm getting). Truthfully I'm all about Greek as a cultural identity not as a regional entity. I've said this before the only reason I mention Peloponnesians or mainlanders (in relation to genetics) is because that happens to be my region of origin. I have an interest in other parts of Greece, Anatolia, Black Sea region, etc. because they're all relevant and equally "Greek." So honestly there's really no reason to demean the "Morea" or any other part of Greece (mainland, Islands, Anatolia, etc.).

remove th greek flag from your profile,
you are not greek.

He might be a leftist or a communist. Hahaha. I guess the Americans did not finish them off in Gramoz slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

He might be a leftist or a communist. Hahaha. I guess the Americans did not finish them off in Gramoz slopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

No, thre is not a chance, check all his writtings,

it is easy toexclude the leftism,
think how and what a Leftist is fighting for.

@ Eupator

CoinOfMithVI.jpg

I live in a town build 1932 for non locals and exchnged population,
at 1932 the population was 65 % Pontic people. Primary Fatsa Ordu caybasin Unye Riza Of Semen Giresun. and 5% from Sivas Kayseri (Sevasteia Kaisareia-Ceasaria)
15% was Aromanians from today Severna Makedonia Albania Epirus-Greece
10% are Thracians most from Constantinopolis tarafontan and the others from East Romylia today Bulgaria
5 % were minor Asians from Magnesia -Manissa Kula tepe, Giolda basin and Philadelpheia modern Alasehir.

before 20 years the town increase and the above was 65% adding 35% locals
the last 20 years a countable population from Gerorgia came. and a small one permanent citizens from Albania Elbasan and Torres-people,
my origins are before 1830 known as local on a mountain in Central Makedonia,
yet my house (built by my father) is the heart of Pontic Greeks from Fatsa and Ordu and cay-basin
I learn partially their dialect language, and dance, ..... ematha Horon ke na kalatzevo sto parakath ke sto muhampet (If you speak Rum)

If you are one of them A Rum that stay back and not exchange to Greece, a muslim Rum,
Then I am not the perfect guy to speak,

I can Inform you where my limits are to every you want,
I can even give you adresses for group that search Pontic history and push travel and friendship

ALL I CAN SAY TO YOU,
TREBIZOND EMPIRE FALL LAST TO ROMANS,
TREBIZOND EMPIRE FALL LAST TO OTTOMANS

I and most Greeks here can make dialogue, BUT you must reveil your true identity.

240px-Mithridates_VI_Louvre.jpg

This thread has been viewed 11142 times.

Back