Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Slavic dna in balkans

  1. #26
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    26-11-16
    Posts
    323


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Kari View Post
    I think that i have low slavic dna too because i am half sarakatsan and half pontic.Its probably true that mainland greeks have more slavic dna than albanians.But in some areas this could change.Can you answer my second question?
    The graph is the graph based on the latest release of data. I am only playing theoretical games on it. So we make an assumption that after 500 AD the main impulse came from Slavs, that would have shifted mainland Greeks to the present location. So how do we take a population that probably plotted near Mycenaean samples to it's present day location? A big pull in the Slavic direction seems to work pretty well. Don't expect the graph to be a perfect model, because it is based on assumptions of where 500AD Greeks would have potted, maybe Greeks plotted even further south toward the Byzantine sample, and that would require even stronger Slavic input.

  2. #27
    researcher
    Join Date
    19-07-22
    Posts
    240

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-A12332*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6*

    Country: Greece



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoRevenge View Post
    In Greece there are islanders, Arvanites and Pontiaks, who are low on Slavic mixture

    Mate, just a small correction.

    This is a Pontiak:





    This is a Pontic:




    There's a difference.

  3. #28
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    Mate, just a small correction.

    This is a Pontiak:





    This is a Pontic:




    There's a difference.
    he looks like my pontic greek grandfather

  4. #29
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    01-06-22
    Posts
    57


    Country: Albania



    Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    Mate, just a small correction.

    This is a Pontiak:





    This is a Pontic:




    There's a difference.
    A small difference.

  5. #30
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    22-08-22
    Posts
    168

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283

    Country: Switzerland



    Didn't Lazaridis conclude Albanians are not much changed since Bronze / Iron Age or was it Middle Ages ? Slavic blood exists but has been diminished a lot since maybe Slavs were mixed. Just look at Bulgarians.

  6. #31
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    04-04-19
    Posts
    107


    Country: Greece



    I find it funny how just a few years ago some users across the various anthroforas were very pissy with Lazaridis conclusion on the Mycenean paper and were trying to discredit it any chance they got even in unrelated threads yet the conclusion on their people/ their favorable people in the southern ark paper ( of different time periods at that) ,which is very similar as an idea, is to be taken as an absolute unquestioned truth...

  7. #32
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    22-08-22
    Posts
    168

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283

    Country: Switzerland



    Quote Originally Posted by lacreme View Post
    I find it funny how just a few years ago some users across the various anthroforas were very pissy with Lazaridis conclusion on the Mycenean paper and were trying to discredit it any chance they got even in unrelated threads yet the conclusion on their people/ their favorable people in the southern ark paper ( of different time periods at that) ,which is very similar as an idea, is to be taken as an absolute unquestioned truth...
    For me it's the first time I hear of this guy.

  8. #33
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    22-08-22
    Posts
    168

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283

    Country: Switzerland



    It also looks like many Greeks aren't that changed.

  9. #34
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    26-11-16
    Posts
    323


    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by eupator View Post
    Mate, just a small correction.

    This is a Pontiak:





    This is a Pontic:




    There's a difference.

    Now I wish I had some Pontiak ancestry.

  10. #35
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    28-01-22
    Location
    Lamia
    Posts
    119


    Ethnic group
    Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by 1337_ View Post
    Didn't Lazaridis conclude Albanians are not much changed since Bronze / Iron Age or was it Middle Ages ? Slavic blood exists but has been diminished a lot since maybe Slavs were mixed. Just look at Bulgarians.
    i think they have 75-85% of their ancestry before slavs

  11. #36
    Regular Member matadworf's Avatar
    Join Date
    13-08-17
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    317


    Ethnic group
    Greek Messinia
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoRevenge View Post
    The graph is the graph based on the latest release of data. I am only playing theoretical games on it. So we make an assumption that after 500 AD the main impulse came from Slavs, that would have shifted mainland Greeks to the present location. So how do we take a population that probably plotted near Mycenaean samples to it's present day location? A big pull in the Slavic direction seems to work pretty well. Don't expect the graph to be a perfect model, because it is based on assumptions of where 500AD Greeks would have potted, maybe Greeks plotted even further south toward the Byzantine sample, and that would require even stronger Slavic input.
    When you say "shifted mainland Greeks to present location" what actual ancestral components are you considering because I'm assuming your using EEF, Steppe, HG, Caucasus, Levantine as your baseline in comparing ancients to moderns. When you look at those Logkas 2 and 4 samples you see substantial Steppe (comparable to modern Greeks) so who's to say that the higher Steppe wasn't in mainland Greece prior to the Slavic expansion. We honestly don't even know what was going on in continental Greece during the Hellenestic and early Byzantine period. There could have been all sorts of pastoral movement from North to South in rural Greece which was "wide open" and essentially ignored by historians . I agree the Slavs could have raised the level of Steppe in mainland Greece to over 30% (which is what you see in areas of the Peloponnese), however, I still maintain that those levels could have brought to the South by Greeks themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •