Autosomal DNA of Pontic Greeks

Kari

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Sarakatsani,Pontic Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
I2a
I created a pie by using the autosomal dna of 4 pontic greeks.
meta-chart (38).jpg
Mediterranean is:31,51% east_med and 13,8% west_med.We can see that turkish dna is only at 3,9%.

I don't believe coordinates are intended to be used in this way though. The labels are fairly arbitrary and not even e.g. Amerindians score anywhere near 100% Amerindian.

They only mean something when compared with others' coordinates.

I don't believe coordinates are intended to be used in this way though. The labels are fairly arbitrary and not even e.g. Amerindians score anywhere near 100% Amerindian.

They only mean something when compared with others' coordinates.

i just took the k13 results of 4 pontic greeks and these are the results

Mediterranean is:31,51% east_med and 13,8% west_med.We can see that turkish dna is only at 3,9%.

Even Turks from Trabzon barely score 1%, let alone Greeks/Laz/Hamshen.

Your samples check out to be Turks proper, and not even from close to the Black Sea region, if they really told you they are "Pontic Greeks", you should investigate further because it doesn't seem to be the case, (also just lols @ the 6% Baltic component for a Pontic person).

Code:
karis_samples
1. 4.61955626    Turkish
2. 4.91347128    Turkish_Southeast
3. 5.89691445    Turkish_East

Your samples check out to be Turks proper, and not even from close to the Black Sea region, if they really told you they are "Pontic Greeks", you should investigate further because it doesn't seem to be the case, (also just lols @ the 6% Baltic component for a Pontic person).

Code:
karis_samples
1. 4.61955626    Turkish
2. 4.91347128    Turkish_Southeast
3. 5.89691445    Turkish_East

Νo they are not turks.They are pontic greeks.They are similar to turks bc they were living in turkey.

Νo they are not turks.They are pontic greeks.They are similar to turks bc they were living in turkey.

Pontic Greeks don't score Baltic nor East Asian %s on ADMIXTURE components, neither do other groups in the areas they used to live in, like neighboring Lazes and Hamshens. They also get the reference Greek_Pontus in their top categories, your samples don't get it at all.

Your results have the profile of Turks because of their elevated (East) Asiatic components and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you are serious about genealogy, this is the sort of stuff you need to look out for.

To help you out, this the results real Pontics score on ADMIXTURE K13 on average:

Code:
[SIZE=2]pontic1
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Components	%	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]North_Atlantic	2.08	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Baltic	1.15	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Med	17.10	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Asian	37.49	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Med	32.50	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Red_Sea	5.07	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]South_Asian	3.27	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Asian	0.62	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Siberian	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Amerindian	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oceanian	0.45	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Northeast_African	0.26	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sub-Saharan	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
pontic2
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Components	%	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]North_Atlantic	2.45	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Baltic	0.62	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Med	18.14	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Asian	36.32	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Med	34.32	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Red_Sea	3.91	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]South_Asian	3.38	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Asian	0.12	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Siberian	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Amerindian	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oceanian	0.74	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Northeast_African	0.00	[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sub-Saharan	0.00	[/SIZE]

I agree with eupator. From what I know even Turks from eastern Turkey barely score any Turkic ancestry and Greeks and Turks from Trabzon are genetically very close to each other.

Pontic Greeks don't score Baltic nor East Asian %s on ADMIXTURE components, neither do other groups in the areas they used to live in, like neighboring Lazes and Hamshens. They also get the reference Greek_Pontus in their top categories, your samples don't get it at all.

Your results have the profile of Turks because of their elevated (East) Asiatic components and there's nothing wrong with that.

If you are serious about genealogy, this is the sort of stuff you need to look out for.

To help you out, this the results real Pontics score on ADMIXTURE K13 on average:

Code:
[SIZE=2]pontic1
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Components    %    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]North_Atlantic    2.08    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Baltic    1.15    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Med    17.10    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Asian    37.49    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Med    32.50    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Red_Sea    5.07    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]South_Asian    3.27    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Asian    0.62    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Siberian    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Amerindian    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oceanian    0.45    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Northeast_African    0.26    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sub-Saharan    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]
pontic2
[/SIZE][SIZE=2]Components    %    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]North_Atlantic    2.45    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Baltic    0.62    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Med    18.14    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West_Asian    36.32    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Med    34.32    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Red_Sea    3.91    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]South_Asian    3.38    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]East_Asian    0.12    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Siberian    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Amerindian    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Oceanian    0.74    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Northeast_African    0.00    [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sub-Saharan    0.00    [/SIZE]

yes pontic greeks dont score baltic but they have some turkish ancestry.But Pontus is not only Trabzon.
View attachment 13543

I have a grandfather who was pontic greek.He didnt look like a central asian but i think he had some turkish dna-under 5%
εικόνα_Viber_2022-09-02_18-12-22-484.jpg

yes pontic greeks dont score baltic but they have some turkish ancestry.But Pontus is not only Trabzon.
View attachment 13543

I have a grandfather who was pontic greek.He didnt look like a central asian but i think he had some turkish dna-under 5%

Pontic Greeks don't have Turkic ancestry, and Pontus=Trabzon+Gumusxane+Rize, Western "Pontus" = Cappadocia.

If your grandfather has Turkic DNA, he's probably got Turkish roots proper, maybe he was a Christian Urum/Crimean Tatar?

Stop falsifying facts in order to fit your own little personal narrative.

What is the name of your grandfather's village?

Pontic Greeks don't have Turkic ancestry, and Pontus=Trabzon+Gumusxane+Rize, Western "Pontus" = Cappadocia.

If your grandfather has Turkic DNA, he's probably got Turkish roots proper, maybe he was a Christian Urum/Crimean Tatar?

Stop falsifying facts in order to fit your own little personal narrative.

They lived under the turkish control for 400+ years.I think that they have some turkish ancestry.Even mainland greeks have some.

They lived under the turkish control for 400+ years.I think that they have some turkish ancestry.Even mainland greeks have some.

There's no evidence of this unless we are talking about Christian Turkish groups that we have a lot of information on and even they show miniscule East Asian admixture, example given the Gagauz. If you don't know the village or even the area your grandfather is from, how do you even claim he is Pontic?

Your grandfather has the East Asian equivalent of Turks from the South, how could that possibly place him in NE Black Sea, who has a very specific profile even among the local modern Turks?

You are either lying or your grandfather was aware of his Turkish ancestry and maybe he claimed he was Pontic because he was afraid there would be stigma attached to that ancestry (in which he was right).

The bottom line is the results you posted couldn't be furthest from Pontus/NE Anatolia, for Pontic Greeks, Turks, Laz and Hamshen.

There's no evidence of this unless we are talking about Christian Turkish groups that we have a lot of information on and even they show miniscule East Asian admixture, example given the Gagauz. If you don't know the village or even the area your grandfather is from, how do you even claim he is Pontic?

Your grandfather has the East Asian equivalent of Turks from the South, how could that possibly place him in NE Black Sea, who has a very specific profile even among the local modern Turks?

You are either lying or your grandfather was aware of his Turkish ancestry and maybe he claimed he was Pontic because he was afraid there would be stigma attached to that ancestry (in which he was right).

The bottom line is the results you posted couldn't be furthest from Pontus/NE Anatolia, for Pontic Greeks, Turks, Laz and Hamshen.

My grandfather wasnt turk.He was a proud pontic greek.He was fearless.Why to hide his ancestry? + i think that he doesnt look like a turk

In trabzon, not the entire pontus

Please, stop with this nonsense. The autosomals of NE Anatolians are known for the past ten years or so.

You are not going to convince anyone w/o providing any solid proof for a matter that is done and dusted, you don't even know the sample's place of origin. There's no point in continuing this argument.

Your relative is Turkish by genetics, culturally he can be whatever he wants, he can be Martian for all anyone cares.

Please, stop with this nonsense. The autosomals of NE Anatolians are known for the past ten years or so.

You are not going to convince anyone w/o providing any solid proof for a matter that is done and dusted, you don't even know the sample's place of origin. There's no point in continuing this argument.

Your relative is Turkish by genetics, culturally he can be whatever he wants, he can be Martian for all anyone cares.

show me how pontic greeks have not like 2-4% turkish dna

This thread has been viewed 10843 times.

Back