Martian

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Southern European
Y-DNA haplogroup
J-Z40772*
mtDNA haplogroup
H1-f2d1*
I would like this thread to be a gathering place for people who are under J-Z40772.
I am a Vlach from Serbia and my native language is Vlach. I was surprised by the results of the Yseq test, especially since it put me in this obscure L70 branch. As I understand it, a relatively small number of people have been tested for Z40772, twenty on FTDNA and just over twenty on Yfull, noting that some results repeat and some don't. As for the lower branches, i tested BY195335, Z32138, Z41163. All negative. People tell me that I will probably form my own branch at some point.

I would like this thread to be a gathering place for people who are under J-Z40772.
I am a Vlach from Serbia and my native language is Vlach. I was surprised by the results of the Yseq test, especially since it put me in this obscure L70 branch. As I understand it, a relatively small number of people have been tested for Z40772, twenty on FTDNA and just over twenty on Yfull, noting that some results repeat and some don't. As for the lower branches, i tested BY195335, Z32138, Z41163. All negative. People tell me that I will probably form my own branch at some point.

Hi Martian, you could find further news about this clade on Yfull https://www.yfull.com/tree/J-Z40772/ . You will indeed form a new subclade . Your branch is not obscure, there are people from many places in Europe that belongs to this clade. We are still waiting for a confirmation regarding the origin of L70, but it is probably related to the Myceanean world, best Regards

Hello Brother. Obscure precisely because the origin is not defined. I was waiting for the Southern Arc paper, but as you probably know, not a single new antique sample was published, only three from the Middle Ages if I'm not mistaken.

Hello Brother. Obscure precisely because the origin is not defined. I was waiting for the Southern Arc paper, but as you probably know, not a single new antique sample was published, only three from the Middle Ages if I'm not mistaken.

Hi Martian, we need to wait to have further answers. Although the oldest sample of L70, until now, was found on the Marche region in Italy, it should be from the late Republican roman period. There are other L70's on the imperial period and late antiquity, one is from a roman site in the roman province of Moesia, on the Viminacium site, 124-228 CE, this should be specially interesting for you, considering this place is in Serbia. https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...-Frontier-and-Slavic-Migrations-(Olalde-2021) . It was probably someone of relevance on the roman Viminacium city at that time if we consider the information we have from his grave. Regards

Of course i know about Viminacium, my wife used to work in that museum. As for the Pirivoj necropolis, where the L70 sample was found, it was indeed a necropolis for richer people, but it was not for what today could be called the nobility. The nobility was buried in the Pecina necropolis (Gaius Valens Hostilianus was buried in Viminacium). That man is placed in the Anatolian cluster (similar as R136 from Rome). We are waiting, if there are any, for results on a more precise branch below L70. I am trying to find out if he was buried with or without grave goods. That is, were there any coins in that grave and where was the fibula. If there was no money and if the fibula was at the feet, researchers say that this is an indication that the man was probably Jewish. If you haven't already, i invite you to be part of the L70 group on Facebook.

Thanks a lot Martian. I don´t use facebook. Regarding the sample, I think he should have been an officer or a relevant functionary, from the paper: "Individuals with EasternMediterranean ancestry could have high social status: 3 out of the 4 individuals buried in twosarcophagi (each containing a male-female pair) with exceptionally rich grave goods at the Ritnecropolis in Viminacium belonged to the Near Eastern-related cluster"

A litle of topic but what companies did you test your DNA in and what regions and groups did you get

Yseq. Y test only. Brale, spunje where are you from

We are from south Banat, my fathers side are belived to be Vlach from around Moskopolje, and Mother is half Vlach half Romanian, sadly i havent learnd the language, becouse they moved to Sweden, so I only learnd Serbian, but am now in older days trying to learn vlach.
Were are you from?

Last edited:
Petrovac na Mlavi, eastern Serbia.

This thread has been viewed 2874 times.

Back