Classify half German and half French actress. Where could she pass?

real expert

Reaction score
Her name is Christine Kaufmann. She was a relatively famous actress and was married to the Hollywood star Tony Curtis. In my opinion, she was a classical beauty like many actresses from the 50s and 60s.

Wiki-Info about her: Kaufmann was born in Lengdorf, Styria, Austria, then part of Germany. Her mother, Geneviève Kaufmann (née Gavaert), was a French make-up artist; her father, Johannes Kaufmann, was a German Luftwaffe officer and engineer.[2]
Growing up in Munich, Bavaria, Kaufmann became a ballerina at the Munich Opera......

d00184d1010c7260bd797000e271ccab.jpg
christine-kaufmann-11.jpg
f5e41607367ca3dd52d9e59e9d739a78.jpg
christine-kaufmann-2.jpg
046fc3e2ac5ef8886a32f898317a274f--tony-curtis-vintage-hollywood.jpg
127BCD194A3366099FD777
s-l400.jpg

Her name is Christine Kaufmann. She was a relatively famous actress and was married to the Hollywood star Tony Curtis. In my opinion, she was a classical beauty like many actresses from the 50s and 60s.

d00184d1010c7260bd797000e271ccab.jpg
christine-kaufmann-11.jpg
f5e41607367ca3dd52d9e59e9d739a78.jpg
christine-kaufmann-2.jpg
046fc3e2ac5ef8886a32f898317a274f--tony-curtis-vintage-hollywood.jpg
127BCD194A3366099FD777
s-l400.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous woman with, indeed, a classically proportioned face. I think she could definitely still pass in France, or even in Germany, but in my opinion, she looks more Italian than anything else.

For current people, a bit like Italian politician Rosaria Carfagna, perhaps, who, however, has a different jaw line, slightly different eyes etc. a "harder" look perhaps because she's older.
c75bd410bdddbe68d2fe1c33c26a8164--salerno-forza.jpg

Same would go for Israeli actress Gal Gadot? Click to enlarge.
740full-gal-gadot.jpg

You're right about the 50s and 60s and even earlier.

I think you could add British Isles: Elizabeth Taylor.
celebrity-plastic-surgery-in-the-1950s.jpg

Gene Tierney:
d9b1c4021b80a1961b97f93dbd450f10--tierney-gene-debbie-harry.jpg

Ashkenazi actress Hedy Lamarr?
e6fec55245caf9b0857d47f91963dfc6.jpg

French /German,but seems more French. I agree also about Italian.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

I think Italians may still be closer, though, at least in terms of the "vibe".

Pier Angeli: Born in Sardinia but ancestry from the mainland.

2e6d003bc51dbc477a3469ab78e7d942.jpg

8a25b7d71d6780add8597de9c2783bd7.jpg

Italian opera singer: Lina Cavalieri
9a1d59eaa4b3b768777d1ada3d22d54a--opera-singers-the-face.jpg

Virna Lisi before they made her lose a ton of weight, dyed her hair and put make-up on with a trowel.
4524d23e04dff0c3a3d2144f8756b30c.png

edcec2b9ad31676d7254520e849ede56.jpg

The finished "product": still beautiful, even old age couldn't take that away, but so fake.
b7ydme_25Mb%2Bcopy.jpg

French /German,but seems more French. I agree also about Italian.

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

Yep. I asked a friend who didn't know her where he thinks she is from, and he guessed France. In my opinion, she could pass in France and Northern Italy.

Absolutely gorgeous woman with, indeed, a classically proportioned face. I think she could definitely still pass in France, or even in Germany, but in my opinion, she looks more Italian than anything else.

For current people, a bit like Italian politician Rosaria Carfagna, perhaps, who, however, has a different jaw line, slightly different eyes etc. a "harder" look perhaps because she's older.........

She reminds me a bit of Claudia Cardinale who was an extremely gorgeous woman. Anyway, to me, she looks more French/Parisian than German. And if her eyes were shaped differently, she'd had a more Italian vibe.

She reminds me a bit of Claudia Cardinale who was an extremely gorgeous woman. Anyway, to me, she looks more French/Parisian than German. And if her eyes were shaped differently, she'd had a more Italian vibe.

Actually, her eyes are very Italian, imo, or at least like those of Italian women who have large eyes, like Pier Angeli, unless that's an unrepresentative picture of her eyes.

I thought of La Cardinale, but although I think she had a beautiful body, I always found her face rather pudgy, especially her nose and cheeks, like a lot of "Alpine" types, but unlike this woman, who has much more refined features, imo.

tumblr_nj1vjdAsQt1r1uvwzo3_500.jpg

Funny, I can't think of a single Frenchwoman who looks like her, and yet I also said she could pass in France.

Strange, as she aged she completely changed, or that studio picture of her as a younger woman was heavily doctored. She doesn't look like the same woman. I see nothing classical or harmonious about her features at all. Maybe it's just that as with a lot of people the nose gets bigger with age? However, even the eyes look different to me, being a sort of half-moon shape now, and she has an obvious overbite. Also, she's obviously one of those unfortunate people who lost a lot of her collagen early.
d3c18e4d6afbe778cf10f05aae23ba10--hollywood.jpg

No, doesn't look Italian at all. I take it all back. She wouldn't be the first person whose appearance changes with age, even looking like a different ethnicity.

Found this picture of her when she was a little younger. If I had seen it I would have said Belgian or Dutch, like Carice Van Houten, never Italian.
f2dd3d7b3567280b53afeee26e4686ff--tony-curtis-grief.jpg

Carice-van-Houten.jpg

Maybe the original photo may not have been the most representative?

Also found this more candid photo when she was young. Again, definitely not Italian looking, but perhaps French like, i.e. a prettier version of Vanessa Paradis?
d21e8d63-fb09-4d9a-84a4-4df68e616bf5_1.38e1e6d858bc74040b5db1666867a498.jpeg

Definitely better mouth than Paradis, even though they both have that jutting chin. Why on earth did Paradis never have that hideous space between her teeth filled? Terrible bleach job too. This man went from Kate Moss to this? Well, Kate Moss was as drug addicted as he was, and had probably slept with half of London and France, so there is that.

Vanessa_Paradis_teeth-315x250.png

Actually, her eyes are very Italian, imo, or at least like those of Italian women who have large eyes, like Pier Angeli, unless that's an unrepresentative picture of her eyes.

I thought of La Cardinale, but although I think she had a beautiful body, I always found her face rather pudgy, especially her nose and cheeks, like a lot of "Alpine" types, but unlike this woman, who has much more refined features, imo.

Funny, I can't think of a single Frenchwoman who looks like her, and yet I also said she could pass in France.

Strange, as she aged she completely changed, or that studio picture of her as a younger woman was heavily doctored. She doesn't look like the same woman. I see nothing classical or harmonious about her features at all. Maybe it's just that as with a lot of people the nose gets bigger with age? However, even the eyes look different to me, being a sort of half-moon shape now, and she has an obvious overbite. Also, she's obviously one of those unfortunate people who lost a lot of her collagen early.
d3c18e4d6afbe778cf10f05aae23ba10--hollywood.jpg

No, doesn't look Italian at all. I take it all back. She wouldn't be the first person whose appearance changes with age, even looking like a different ethnicity.

Found this picture of her when she was a little younger. If I had seen it I would have said Belgian or Dutch, like Carice Van Houten, never Italian.
f2dd3d7b3567280b53afeee26e4686ff--tony-curtis-grief.jpg

Maybe the original photo may not have been the most representative?

Also found this more candid photo when she was young. Again, definitely not Italian looking, but perhaps French like, i.e. a prettier version of Vanessa Paradis?

Definitely better mouth than Paradis, even though they both have that jutting chin. Why on earth did Paradis never have that hideous space between her teeth filled? Terrible bleach job too. This man went from Kate Moss to this? Well, Kate Moss was as drug addicted as he was, and had probably slept with half of London and France, so there is that.

I get what you mean. However, the pictures were not doctored. I saw a documentary about Christine Kaufmann with her movies, old interviews, and her on-the-red carpet, galas. And she looked like in the pictures I've posted. The point is, that Christine. K in these pics was just in her prime with well-done makeup and hairstyle that enhanced her symmetrical face. Indeed, some individuals don’t age well and with age, their facial features change and get less refined. There are some men who get huge ears with age. Only some fortunate age like wine and look better with age. For instance, Claudia Cardinale or Brigitte Bordeaux, for that matter, didn't age well and lost their beauty when they reached a certain age. Anyway, the reality is that aging is the No. 1 killer of physical beauty. Plus, like many celebrities, Christine K. messed with her face, got lip fillers, and whatnot because she didn't want to age naturally.

To save you time, here’s the movie with her and Kirk Douglas

and in timestamps

1:23:47-1:25:16.; 1:37:32-54, you can see her in close up. She was real eye candy.

And here is a short YT clip from another movie with Kaufmann and Curtis.

Btw, how do you find her with light brown or dyed blond hair?

5df1440a670882737133a4eeb6cdf71a.jpg
a4d1817f0112a9939fa40cbe86ea01ee--classic-beauty-cinema.jpg

That's a really good catch, td. She does indeed.

As in the candid picture I found, and the pictures in post #9, she looks much more like what she is, which is Germanic.

I suppose as an actress it pays to be a bit chameleon like. Darken the hair, do shadowing with make-up, and you can pass for French or even Italian.

There's also the fact that faces with very even features can show up in a lot of cultures, and then it's details which distinguish people.

That's a really good catch, td. She does indeed.

As in the candid picture I found, and the pictures in post #9, she looks much more like what she is, which is Germanic.

I suppose as an actress it pays to be a bit chameleon like. Darken the hair, do shadowing with make-up, and you can pass for French or even Italian.

There's also the fact that faces with very even features can show up in a lot of cultures, and then it's details which distinguish people.

This is what I mean. This is Gabriella Pession, born in the U.S., but Italian from Valle D'Aosta. I'm posting her recipe for pasta e ceci. :)

This is her in glamour shots.
gabriella_pession3.jpeg

6d8657f5c26900e1417b9e7d2edb92e9--crossing-lines-italian-girls.jpg

This is a more natural picture:
gabriella-pession-attends-a-photocall-for-la-porta-rossa-fiction-rai-picture-id635436050

She's holding up well with age. Good genes, and only some botox from what I can detect. My mom was like that; she looked at least 15 years younger than her age when she died. Women really have to resist the urge to get all these procedures. You wind up either looking like someone else or a parody of yourself. Even Sophia Loren, after resisting the urge for decades finally gave in, and it's been a catastrophe. Also helps if you dress appropriately.

watch

watch

Those who are mixed with multiple european ethnicities could best pass in United States and Canada

Those who are mixed with multiple european ethnicities could best pass in United States and Canada

I think people that ask to classify themselves or others intend on guesses excluding North & South America. I have ran into a few people in public who were from the U.K., Denmark, Italy, and Germany and before I spoke to them I thought they were local white Americans lol.

I think people that ask to classify themselves or others intend on guesses excluding North & South America. I have ran into a few people in public who were from the U.K., Denmark, Italy, and Germany and before I spoke to them I thought they were local white Americans lol.

While yes, inter-ethnic mixing does occur between europeans in europe. It is safe to say when you meet someone from Germany they would be most likely 100% german, i dont expect them to have such a varied ancestry like i would for most americans

She looks like what she is : could be german as french, or maybe northern italian according the area, but she don't looks swarthy at all.

This thread has been viewed 4359 times.

Back