Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: Why were we (as in Americans) taught that Judaism was "just a religion"?

Banned

2 members found this post helpful.

Why were we (as in Americans) taught that Judaism was "just a religion"?

The title says it all, really. Why aren't we told more accurately that it's a ethnoreligion than "just a religion"? I don't understand. Maybe to protect them from racism? I think.

Banned

Recently someone identified themselves as Jewish as an ethnicity. Someone remarked they were "50% Catholic and 50% Protestant" as a reply. Funny, but I think it highlights how badly educated we are which has lead some to confusion.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 - Y79536
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a

Ethnic group
    North East Italian

Quote Originally Posted by saraman View Post
    Recently someone identified themselves as Jewish as an ethnicity. Someone remarked they were "50% Catholic and 50% Protestant" as a reply. Funny, but I think it highlights how badly educated we are which has lead some to confusion.

there is confusion in all religions

example.......some say pray only to God and not the religious institution you follow.....ie.( do not pray to false Gods (religious institutions ) ) .........and then others say, pray to God via your religious institution

People seek a clarity in the above and other matters
    Fathers mtdna ...... T2b17
    Grandfather paternal mtdna ... T1a1e
    Sons mtdna ...... K1a4p
    Mothers line ..... R1b-S8172
    Grandmother paternal side ... I1-CTS6397
    Wife paternal line ..... R1a-PF6155

"Fear profits man, nothing"

Ethnic group
    Italian

Oh for goodness sakes. You'd have to have been living in a box not to know that it's not just a religion, at least if you've been involved in the amateur population genetics community. Otherwise why would Jews who are atheists, and there are a lot of them, identify as Jews. Nobody was lying to anyone.

It's like Sikhs aren't just a religion, or the Amish. You think all religions are like Islam and Christianity, i.e. proselytizing religions. They're not. You have to be born into a lot of them.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Ethnic group
    southern EUROPEAN

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Otherwise why would Jews who are atheists, and there are a lot of them, identify as Jews. Nobody was lying to anyone.
    Not so much, they're very secular and they intermarry a lot. But some 73% still consider themselves to be part of the religion, even if they're liberal in their faith.