Crime Crime maps of Europe

Instead of the rate of crime, it would be interesting to see a map showing the cumulative severity of crime. I'm sure the map would be changed up a bit. Using the Sam Bankman-Fried example would make the Bahamas bright red, since he basically screwed tens of billions out of customers.

Crime like this trickles down. Low-income is associated with high street crime. Yet the condition that creates wide spread low-income starts with unscrupulous actors at the top, abusing their position for their own greed.

Crimes in the UK:

https://nypost.com/2021/02/08/man-arrested-for-offensive-sir-captain-tom-moore-tweet/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2022...an-abortion-clinic-can-be-a-jailable-offense/

Frankly, I would rather live in an area where street crime was a little higher, than a country that would imprison people for tweets and prayers.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The UK seems to have higher street crime AND ridiculous thought crimes... wow![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Maybe if they spent less resources on bullying otherwise law-abiding people for what they think, and focused on tangible violent crimes, they would be better off. But that's too hard to achieve I guess.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The same thing seems to be happening in the USA slowly overtime. Go after meeker people that commit non-violent infraction, who will roll over. While the obstinate street thugs are allowed to rape, murder, and steal with less chance of being inhibited by authorities. Brilliant...

Sounds like an incompetent, and impotent government bullying its people.
[/FONT]

Your response to me has little to do with the content. More to do with the fact that you precieve I have slighted you in the past. So now you're just salty and argumentative. Mafia is an organization in both US and EU. I'm comparing crime maps of the two in different countries, which displays different results. This is salient to the topic. Of course my explanation of why I should be allowed to post is absurd. You're not the thought police around here, no matter how high you sit on your pedestal.

Well, thank you for saying that. The absolute nerve of this guy telling you or I what we can post.

I just love how the fact that someone who is in the Mafia living in a neighborhood means there's less crime because people are afraid they might inadvertently do harm to one of them means the Mafia CONTROL the area or the people who live there.

Have you ever seen such twisted, illogical thinking in your life? Even he can't believe that a passive circumstance like that equals active control, but he can never admit he was wrong because he didn't know the facts, or even just stop arguing certain points, although the prior shows more character and honor.

"When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong" is something a Jewish father will say, but not our Dutchman. (ref. Dirty Dancing-I adore her father; what a wonderful man.)

Well, thank you for saying that. The absolute nerve of this guy telling you or I what we can post.

I just love how the fact that someone who is in the Mafia living in a neighborhood means there's less crime because people are afraid they might inadvertently do harm to one of them means the Mafia CONTROL the area or the people who live there.

Have you ever seen such twisted, illogical thinking in your life? Even he can't believe that a passive circumstance like that equals active control, but he can never admit he was wrong because he didn't know the facts, or even just stop arguing certain points, although the prior shows more character and honor.

"When I'm wrong I say I'm wrong" is something a Jewish father will say, but not our Dutchman. (ref. Dirty Dancing-I adore her father; what a wonderful man.)

Yep the oh so passive Maffia huhuh.

Even then based on scare (= criminal behavior), because people know what they are capable of.

So indeed a portion of your logica invite the terrorizing alley cat into the house and the mice will stay away. That you are then stuck with a rotten cat that turns your whole house upside down, well, we are happy to accept it. I say long live the terrorizing alley cat. That I didn't see that sooner, that sublime logic, stupid!

Yep the oh so passive Maffia huhuh.

Even then based on scare (= criminal behavior), because people know what they are capable of.

So indeed a portion of your logica invite the terrorizing alley cat into the house and the mice will stay away. That you are then stuck with a rotten cat that turns your whole house upside down, well, we are happy to accept it. I say long live the terrorizing alley cat. That I didn't see that sooner, that sublime logic, stupid!

Completely tortured, twisted reasoning, as always.

What is wrong with you? Don't you ever get tired of parading your ignorance about the U.S.? First of all, The RICO statues, which are probably unconstitutional, but whatever, have gutted the Mafia.

For the ones who are left, most do deals with unions or construction companies. Do I approve? Of course not. I was a prosecutor, you silly man, so I, of all people, don't romanticize them.

However, what possible harm could they do the neighborhood in which they live? Do you think they do business from the homes where their wives and children live? Not that talking about paying off union leaders has any effect on the neighborhood. However, after a certain time they realized all their houses are bugged. That's why they used to meet in social clubs (and get killed there), and then restaurants, and now, the few that are active and haven't gone "legit", i.e. aren't now just investing the money they made , meet in outdoor areas. They don't attack the wives and children of their rivals, unlike the Columbians and the Mexicans and Central Americans, and they don't want their own attacked either.

Do you think they would want to bother their neighbors? They want a safe haven for their families. From what I hear most of them are good neighbors. You don't bother them; they don't bother you. They try to keep a completely low profile. I say all this as a person who at one point prosecuted them, so this isn't a romanticized picture.

Now, would I choose to live in Bensonhurst or Bayridge? No, I wouldn't, even if the plots of land were bigger. My husband would, though. I'm in a different situation because they have a long memory. Also, even if I hadn't been in the justice system, what if my son or daughter became friendly with their children? Even if they're supposedly "legit" now, I wouldn't be comfortable with that, but how do you say no? Also, how big a favor makes you indebted to them?

Of course, I wound up living far from those areas thanks to my husband, in a town with just as many Irish and German families as Italian or mixed ones, and what do you know, the son of one "ex" boss moved in right next door. Paid over 2 million cash. Couldn't stand his wife, but he's incredibly friendly and charming. He loved my husband, too much, so that his generosity became onerous. That stigma is still there, though, so we turned down a lot of favors and people are a bit wary, although he's never been charged with anything.

Oh, up the block one of the houses was owned by a guy highlighted in The Wolf of Wall Street. I found him infinitely less "nice" than our reformed or second-generation Cosa Nostra guy, and nobody was wary of him, or of a couple of neighbors employed by Deutsche Bank and let go when the SEC started breathing down the bank's neck. Lots of people who work on Wall Street lived around me, and I often wondered how much I would like them if I knew what they really do at work.

If my neighbor is as "clean" as he seems, who has harmed the most people? I know who I think.

Any theories on the low burglary rate in Southern Italy?

Naivete and how WOKE they are.

You can see it in surveys which show that Scandinavians believe there is no wealth inequality in their countries, when in fact there is, and at higher rates than other European countries. Higher even than in the U.S.

The difference is partly that they don't see it, I think, because the social welfare programs give them a decent standard of living, and the upper class must not flaunt it.

"The top 10% of wealth holders in three Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden and Denmark) hold between 65 and 69 per cent of those nations' wealth.In comparison to the other developed economies in Europe, Scandinavian inequality on this measure seriously stands out: they're significantly above British, French, Italian or Spanish levels. Germany and Austria come a little closer, but are still behind. Only finance-dominated Switzerland reaches higher levels of wealth inequality."

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...e-of-the-highest-inequality-in-europe-2014-10

The top end wealth of Scandinavians can probably be attributed to careful wealth management and long periods of economic stability. Stora Enso in Sweden traces its roots to a mine opened in 1288. The Danish Kristiansen family still owns Lego their ancestor founded in 1932. And lots of the companies have been able to gain global fame.

Here is a more commonly used measure of inequality, based on income - the GINI index.

27B69914-F265-4A42-90F8-D0E0DA2BCBF1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

Completely tortured, twisted reasoning, as always.

What is wrong with you? Don't you ever get tired of parading your ignorance about the U.S.? First of all, The RICO statues, which are probably unconstitutional, but whatever, have gutted the Mafia.

For the ones who are left, most do deals with unions or construction companies. Do I approve? Of course not. I was a prosecutor, you silly man, so I, of all people, don't romanticize them.

However, what possible harm could they do the neighborhood in which they live? Do you think they do business from the homes where their wives and children live? Not that talking about paying off union leaders has any effect on the neighborhood. However, after a certain time they realized all their houses are bugged. That's why they used to meet in social clubs (and get killed there), and then restaurants, and now, the few that are active and haven't gone "legit", i.e. aren't now just investing the money they made , meet in outdoor areas. They don't attack the wives and children of their rivals, unlike the Columbians and the Mexicans and Central Americans, and they don't want their own attacked either.

Do you think they would want to bother their neighbors? They want a safe haven for their families. From what I hear most of them are good neighbors. You don't bother them; they don't bother you. They try to keep a completely low profile. I say all this as a person who at one point prosecuted them, so this isn't a romanticized picture.

Now, would I choose to live in Bensonhurst or Bayridge? No, I wouldn't, even if the plots of land were bigger. My husband would, though. I'm in a different situation because they have a long memory. Also, even if I hadn't been in the justice system, what if my son or daughter became friendly with their children? Even if they're supposedly "legit" now, I wouldn't be comfortable with that, but how do you say no? Also, how big a favor makes you indebted to them?

Of course, I wound up living far from those areas thanks to my husband, in a town with just as many Irish and German families as Italian or mixed ones, and what do you know, the son of one "ex" boss moved in right next door. Paid over 2 million cash. Couldn't stand his wife, but he's incredibly friendly and charming. He loved my husband, too much, so that his generosity became onerous. That stigma is still there, though, so we turned down a lot of favors and people are a bit wary, although he's never been charged with anything.

Oh, up the block one of the houses was owned by a guy highlighted in The Wolf of Wall Street. I found him infinitely less "nice" than our reformed or second-generation Cosa Nostra guy, and nobody was wary of him, or of a couple of neighbors employed by Deutsche Bank and let go when the SEC started breathing down the bank's neck. Lots of people who work on Wall Street lived around me, and I often wondered how much I would like them if I knew what they really do at work.

If my neighbor is as "clean" as he seems, who has harmed the most people? I know who I think.

Really to me this is all an exaggerated reaction, as always. In fact to just one remark namely I don't see the merit of that neighborhoods 'run by the maffia' (dixit Jovialis) have lower crime rates. To me neighborhoods that are 'run' by the maffia already are criminal infected.

That's all, imo: what a fuzz.

The impression of local people tend to match the actual crime rates. For example these maps show the actual reported crime rates for car thefts and burglaries.

Car_thefts_2018.png

Burglary_rates_2018.png

The regions of Marseille and Naples are clearly hotspots. However the Danes and the Swedes do not seem to feel the insecurity that surrounds them, as if they were oblivious to the high car theft and burglary rates in their countries. Very odd.

An imo possible cause could be that the Scandics as - in lesser extent- Germanic speaking countries are (high) trust societies. That can explain the 'oddity' somewhat higher burglary in these kind of societies don't lead to higher mistrust, or the idea of immediate 'need for protection' c.q. insecurity.

Last edited:
To refuse to see the crime around you, which might be a danger to you and your family, because you're been taught to believe it doesn't or won't happen is delusional and stupid.

The top end wealth of Scandinavians can probably be attributed to careful wealth management and long periods of economic stability. Stora Enso in Sweden traces its roots to a mine opened in 1288. The Danish Kristiansen family still owns Lego their ancestor founded in 1932. And lots of the companies have been able to gain global fame.

Here is a more commonly used measure of inequality, based on income - the GINI index.

View attachment 13722

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_income_equality

It doesn't tell you the real story. OK, a doctor may not make that much more money than a teacher or factory worker for argument's sake. Who cares? The factory worker lives in a state subsidized apartment while the doctor has inherited wealth and can live in a big, beautiful house so long as it's not too flashy on the outside, because they have to continue to tout this facade that everyone is equal.

Apropos to your point, a study tracking surnames shows the same families have been wealthy for hundreds of years, but the populace doesn't rebel or call for the break-up of monopolies, etc., because they're oblivious to it.

It's the perfect system for the rich if you think about it. No one will ever take away your money. Just give the lower orders subsidized apartments, free education and health care, and pretend everyone lives that way. The Scaninavian aversion to showing off takes care of the rest.

As for me, I'd rather see the world and other human beings clearly; no sugar coating of reality.

To refuse to see the crime around you, which might be a danger to you and your family, because you're been taught to believe it doesn't or won't happen is delusional and stupid.

Imo that's also in the eye of the beholder. Trust and mistrust is also a thing of upbringing, of differences in societies.

What is delusional and stupid is not objective but subjective.

And besides that in my city/ region there are simply not no go area's or very high crime area's.

The statistics:
Security and feelings of security play a role in the context of broad prosperity. A relatively favorable situation is emerging for Groningen. Registered crime and the number of offenses encountered have been falling for years and are below the national average. The proportion of residents who often feel unsafe in Groningen in 2020 is also the lowest of all provinces.

https://sociaalplanbureaugroningen.nl/brede-welvaart/veiligheid/

This is why I never trust these generalized maps. Do you have to go back in time, as you did, to get a clearer picture?

Were the numbers of newly arrived unskilled immigrants taken into consideration by country even in 2016 and up till now? How about other factors which might affect it, like intra-family murders fueled by alcohol or drug abuse. I hear they use a lot of meth in northern Europe, because it's difficult to get other things. Most people are murdered by people they know.

Numbers don't lie, but those who create them do not always consider all the important variables, or worse, indeed lie.

I think Northener would rather live in a neighborhood where he would potentially get his face slashed by a crackhead. At least there's no organized crime involved, and thus no high crime.

Maybe he would be happy in San Francisco, urination, public defection, shop lifting under $900 is technically not a crime. That would probably make him happier. No crime there!

Italians are not naive and secure their homes?

Indeed, we're not naive. I've rarely seen an old house in a country town without iron grates on the windows on the first floor. That's also what dogs are for.

a5a85c0b7e24dc03319bc2ed14ff7573.jpg

Try to get through that, why don't you? At the first of files etc., all the old women who sit in front of their windows to monitor their neighborhood will instantly call the police

It's these modern apartment blocks in the city which are dangerous.

It just occurred to me, northern Italian born and partially raised there who sometimes forgets to turn on the alarm system.

It infuriates my third generation Southern Italian husband. We inherited the alarm system, but he put in motion sensor flood lights outside, and motion sensors inside in case they somehow get in. Then there's our 80 pound part Doberman dog who would love to tear out the throat of anyone who came onto the property.

Meanwhile, we've never had a burglary. Maybe it's in the genes? Touch what's mine and you're dead?

This thread has been viewed 12555 times.

Back