Crime Crime maps of Europe

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have made a series of map using the data from Numbeo as of late 2022. The maps do not show the actual crime rate, but the fear of crimes being committed. So this reflects the sense of insecurity of the population, which is as important as the actual crime rates.

The advantage of Numbeo is that data is available by country and by city. I tried to make the most of it by adding dots on the maps for the largest European cities to compare them with the national average. Cities included are: Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, Belfast, Berlin, Birmingham, Bordeaux, Brussels, Budapest, Bucharest, Cologne, Copenhagen, Dublin, Edinburgh, Hamburg, Helsinki, Istanbul, Lille, Lisbon, London, Lyon, Madrid, Manchester, Marseille, Milan, Munich, Nantes, Naples, Oslo, Paris, Prague, Rome, Seville, Sofia, Stockholm, Strasbourg, Stuttgart, Toulouse, Venice, Vienna, and Warsaw. If the dot is not shown for some cities, it means that the rating is the same as the country's average.

Fear_of_car_stolen.png

Fear_of_burglary.png

Fear_of_being_mugged.png

Fear_of_violent_crimes.png

The large European cities with the highest sense of insecurity are Marseille, Birmingham and Naples. It's interesting that residents of Marseille report as much insecurity in general as people in Syria, which is in a state of civil war!

The impression of local people tend to match the actual crime rates. For example these maps show the actual reported crime rates for car thefts and burglaries.

Car_thefts_2018.png

Burglary_rates_2018.png

The regions of Marseille and Naples are clearly hotspots. However the Danes and the Swedes do not seem to feel the insecurity that surrounds them, as if they were oblivious to the high car theft and burglary rates in their countries. Very odd.

The impression of local people tend to match the actual crime rates. For example these maps show the actual reported crime rates for car thefts and burglaries.

Car_thefts_2018.png

Burglary_rates_2018.png

The regions of Marseille and Naples are clearly hotspots. However the Danes and the Swedes do not seem to feel the insecurity that surrounds them, as if they were oblivious to the high car theft and burglary rates in their countries. Very odd.
Not odd. Remember me pointing out naivety as possible reason for same populations having unusually high trust in their governments?

Not odd. Remember me pointing out naivety as possible reason for same populations having unusually high trust in their governments?

Naivete and how WOKE they are.

To a certain extent the first probably feeds the other.

You can see it in surveys which show that Scandinavians believe there is no wealth inequality in their countries, when in fact there is, and at higher rates than other European countries. Higher even than in the U.S.

The difference is partly that they don't see it, I think, because the social welfare programs give them a decent standard of living, and the upper class must not flaunt it.

"The top 10% of wealth holders in three Nordic countries (Norway, Sweden and Denmark) hold between 65 and 69 per cent of those nations' wealth.In comparison to the other developed economies in Europe, Scandinavian inequality on this measure seriously stands out: they're significantly above British, French, Italian or Spanish levels. Germany and Austria come a little closer, but are still behind. Only finance-dominated Switzerland reaches higher levels of wealth inequality."

https://www.businessinsider.com/why...e-of-the-highest-inequality-in-europe-2014-10

One could blame the mafia on the high crime rate, but ironically, neighborhoods in NYC which the mafia operates out of has the lowest crime.

Probably because the NYPD is too inhibited and/or unwilling to do their jobs because of social and political pressures. While if you commit street crime, like muggings, vandalism, etc, there will be consequences in those mafia-protected neighborhoods.

A while ago, when I was hanging out in Brooklynn, a local told me that Mafia-run neighborhoods were probably the safest in the country.

qfDvgJR.png

Naivety is a judgement, may be born out expect the worst...., so why I have to adopt a inkblack vision firetown? Why should I?

I sincerely like to live in high trust societies more than in a low trust one. It's my own experience too. I don't look constantly over my shoulder when I'm in the center (shopping area) or at night at street in my neighborhood. And well I consider this as a fine thing, not a worse thing.

I have never been robbed in my city-Groningen- (even my bike was never stolen which is quit an exception), only once in Amsterdam near the railway station in the center, in the mid nineties (when this was a known drugs area). But it's not something to worry about a lot imo.

And call us naive- so be it- but better naive but happy:
https://www.iamexpat.nl/expat-info/dutch-expat-news/three-dutch-cities-among-happiest-europe

One could blame the mafia on the high crime rate, but ironically, neighborhoods in NYC which the mafia operates out of has the lowest crime.

Probably because the NYPD is too inhibited and/or unwilling to do their jobs because of social and political pressures. While if you commit street crime, like muggings, vandalism, etc, there will be consequences in those mafia-protected neighborhoods.

A while ago, when I was hanging out in Brooklynn, a local told me that Mafia-run neighborhoods were probably the safest in the country.

qfDvgJR.png

What's the next step Jovialis, to honor the maffia as peacekeepers?

Imo this is the worst postion you can get, when big crime organizations are the big protectors....Because what is won by obviously lower robbery rates is changed by controlling and suppression and in fact robbery from (family) business, protection is not for nothing. Protection money is core maffia thing.

So who is naive?

What's the next step Jovialis, to honor the maffia as peacekeepers?

Imo this is the worst postion you can get, when big crime organizations are the big protectors....Because what is won by obviously lower robbery rates is changed by controlling and suppression and in fact robbery from (family) business, protection is not for nothing. Protection money is core maffia thing.

So who is naive?

What is this belligerent post? I am pointing out a FACT. Quality of life crimes, i.e. petty crime, public urination, graffiti, are IN FACT low. Despite the fact that it is traded off for organized crime.

The Nazis rightfully pointed out that smoking was deadly, they built the Audubon, etc. Does that excuse all of the atrocities they committed? Obviously not, obviously, that goes without saying. So why are you trying to single me out in point out something comparable?

I think you better cool your jets.

Yes, who is naïve, Northerner? Do you think preventing or restricting law enforcement from doing their job might have something to do with recent spikes in crime? Maybe the point is, when there's an area where there is actual coercion against crime, those areas are safer that don't? Seems like common sense to me.

What is this belligerent post? I am pointing out a FACT. Quality of life crimes, i.e. petty crime, public urination, graffiti, are IN FACT low. Despite the fact that it is traded off for organized crime.

The Nazis rightfully pointed out that smoking was deadly, they built the Audubon, etc. Does that excuse all of the atrocities they committed? Obviously not, obviously, that goes without saying. So why are you trying to single me out in point out something comparable?

You've committed the cardinal sin of posting something which might be construed as a criticism of a Nordic country, even a mild one. That's absolutely verboten. :) They're "practically perfect in every way", just like Mary Poppins, another fantasy figure.

As for claiming that people in places like Bayridge and Bensonhurst pay protection money to the Mafia, it's just another example of someone's complete misunderstanding of America.

For crying out loud, it's not the early 1900s, and it's not Europe. All those families which live there don't pay protection money.

It's just that people know that there's quite a few Mafia families living in certain areas. However, it's not like they wear signs or badges, so any street thugs or gang members who come into those areas and mug, rape, burgle etc. might be committing that crime against someone who is "connected", and harming them could be very costly.

About two decades ago, a drunk driver ran down and killed a young girl walking home from her friend's house. He sped away. She was the daughter of a Mafia family. In a few hours he was found dead in his house. The police barely had time to take out their pads and pens. I don't approve of that, to be clear, but it spread rapidly into the zeitgeist of NYC.

You'd have to be crazy to go and commit crimes in that area, or abysmally stupid.

Yes, who is naïve, Northerner? Do you think preventing or restricting law enforcement from doing their job might have something to do with recent spikes in crime? Maybe the point is, when there's an area where there is actual coercion against crime, those areas are safer that don't? Seems like common sense to me.

Imagine thinking that lack of a police presence or the lack of a police response has no effect on crime levels. It boggles the imagination.

Look at what's happening in California, where people are now routinely going into stores and walking out with armfuls of items, and store security does nothing, nor do any police nearby intervene. Why, you might ask? Because if they do arrest these people they'll be let out without bail immediately. That's if the police aren't accused of racism and hounded out of their jobs.

Look at the grooming scandal in Britain, which is the most "WOKE" community on earth.

Young, vulnerable teen-age girls were groomed, abused, trafficked, and the police did nothing, despite complaints, because as they stated in their own records, they didn't want to stoke animosity against the Pakistani perpetrators.

So instead, they sacrificed these young girls, often from poor, dysfunctional, broken families.

It's so horrific, I almost couldn't believe it when I started reading about it.

This is how civilizations die: when the forces of order can no longer protect the majority of their people.

I'm convinced that lower crime rates in a maffia controlled neighborhood is in fact inflated by the fact that protection money (OR any other maffia activity) is as such a kind of crime, but we don't see that in the figures (of course). That is what I'm saying. So I don't understand your response...

Last edited:

First of all this topic is about European crime rates, so I want to send a few words about NYC but that's all.

You put words in my mound I don't get.

It's simply a fact that in my city (240.000 inhabitants) has not such a thing as no go area's, or totally deprived neighborhoods. No not a perfect world fare from that. But this is simply a fact.

For the rest I'm convinced that the police (c.q. state) must have a 'monopoly on violence'. So absolute gun control, and the police has the guns and when someone else has a gun then it's against the law simple as that. That is real supportive for law enforcement.

I'm convinced that lower crime rates in a maffia controlled neighborhood is in fact inflated by the fact that protection money (OR any other maffia activity) is as such a kind of crime, but we don't see that in the figures (of course). That is what I'm saying. So I don't understand your response...[/QUOTE

I know quite a few people who live or have lived there.

NO ONE IS PAYING PROTECTION MONEY! It's fear of the consequences in case they commit a crime against the wrong person.

How dare you insist on something when it's in direct contradiction with what people who are familiar with the area know for a fact. We don't argue with you about specific facts about the Netherlands unless I have proof in the form of statistics. Where are yours? Btw, the Mafia is practically defunct in most endeavors. The organized crime is now dominated by Central Americans, Mexicans, Blacks.

If you knew anything about the U,S, you would know that.

You would also know that parts of Chicago are more dangerous to civilians than the Ukraine. The reason is that despite the fact that guns are illegal there, the black neighborhoods are awash with guns. Heck, even pre-teens have them. The police are "outgunned".

Stop talking about things of which you're completely ignorant.

I'm convinced that lower crime rates in a maffia controlled neighborhood is in fact inflated by the fact that protection money (OR any other maffia activity) is as such a kind of crime, but we don't see that in the figures (of course). That is what I'm saying. So I don't understand your response...[/QUOTE

I know quite a few people who live or have lived there.

NO ONE IS PAYING PROTECTION MONEY! It's fear of the consequences in case they commit a crime against the wrong person.

How dare you insist on something when it's in direct contradiction with what people who are familiar with the area know for a fact. We don't argue with you about specific facts about the Netherlands unless I have proof in the form of statistics. Where are yours? Btw, the Mafia is practically defunct in most endeavors. The organized crime is now dominated by Central Americans, Mexicans, Blacks.

If you knew anything about the U,S, you would know that.

You would also know that parts of Chicago are more dangerous to civilians than the Ukraine. The reason is that despite the fact that guns are illegal there, the black neighborhoods are awash with guns. Heck, even pre-teens have them. The police are "outgunned".

Stop talking about things of which you're completely ignorant.

This is what Jovialis initial stated:
Mafia-run neighborhoods were probably the safest in the country.

So no matter how they run it, they run if not protection money (which is well known the initial thing of the maffia) then they run it another way around.

So it's not about protection money a such but "the running" the "control"

And no matter what maffia is a criminal organization and when a criminal organization prevents other crime what is the merit, the "maffia run" is already criminal enough. That's my point nothing else.

Enough about the US this is about Europe.

First of all this topic is about European crime rates, so I want to send a few words about NYC but that's all.
You put words in my mound I don't get.
It's simply a fact that in my city (240.000 inhabitants) has not such a thing as no go area's, or totally deprived neighborhoods. No not a perfect world fare from that. But this simply a fact.
For the rest I'm convinced that the police (c.q. state) must have a 'monopoly on violence'. So absolute gun control, and the police has the guns and when someone else has a gun then it's against the law simple as that. That is real supportive for law enforcement.
Your response to me has little to do with the content. More to do with the fact that you precieve I have slighted you in the past. So now you're just salty and argumentative. Mafia is an organization in both US and EU. I'm comparing crime maps of the two in different countries, which displays different results. This is salient to the topic. Of course my explanation of why I should be allowed to post is absurd. You're not the thought police around here, no matter how high you sit on your pedestal.

Your response to me has little to do with the content. More to do with the fact that you precieve I have slighted you in the past. So now you're just salty and argumentative. Mafia is an organization in both US and EU. I'm comparing crime maps of the two in different countries, which displays different results. This is salient to the topic. Of course my explanation of why I should be allowed to post is absurd. You're not the thought police around here, no matter how high you sit on your pedestal.

May I speak for myself Jovialis?

This was what triggered me:

and

Imo is a neighborhood were the mafia operates or runs already high crime.

Nothing else.

And I'm always argumentative either towards you or anyone else...no difference.

May I speak for myself Jovialis?
This was what triggered me:
and

Imo is a neighborhood were the mafia operates c.q runs already high crime.
Nothing else.
And I'm always argumentative either towards you or anyone else...no difference.
Sure, what about all of the white-collar crime and corruption that goes on in "legitimate" circles. I guess that counts for nothing, and goes unnoticed. Or how about Nazi Germany, and the Imperial era UK? The two biggest criminal enterprises in world history.

Is that all high crime, within and of itself, in your opinion then?

Sure, what about all of the white-collar crime and corruption that goes on in "legitimate" circles. I guess that counts for nothing, and goes unnoticed. Or how about Nazi Germany, and the Imperial era UK? The two biggest criminal enterprises in world history.

Absolute agree. Not to mention tax paradises, like the Virigin Island or the Netherlands :mad:

This thread has been viewed 12276 times.

Back