Ancestry in Chile

The vast majority of Chileans seem to be about 35% Native American. Almost no one completely lacks it, although some have only have 5 0r 10 %. A few have almost no European ancestry.

It's very interesting that virtually ALL of them have a few percent of SSA. So, a few have only 3-5% NA, but they have SSA. Doubtless females. Perhaps from very early in the colonization? I didn't know they had very many SSAs in Chile.

Whenever I think of Chile I think of Pablo Neruda, my poet of love, and Isabel Allende, the novelist, of whom I'm not overly fond, and Claudio Arrau, the great pianist.

Isabel Allende: She looks typically mestiza to me and so probably more representative.
8eefa3-20060828-allende.jpg

Pablo Neruda: He always struck me as French or Northern Italian looking, although I don't think he had either ancestry. I found it very apt that he was played by in an Italian film I absolutely love, Il Postino, by a French actor. I see no NA in him at all. He was a politician and a diplomat and led a controversial life. I detested and detest his politics, and some of the things he did in his private life, but I don't think anyone can deny his artistry.

9a2b3111753ccedb4488ca5c61b3b220.jpg

It's even better in Spanish, if that's possible.
pablo-neruda-photo-11.jpg

Claudio Arrau. He looks completely Spanish to me.
1200px-Claudio_Arrau_1_Allan_Warren.jpg

Chileans are truly mixed. It is also interesting to add the relevance mostly of Germans, Italians, Croats and Palestinian immigrants that arrived in the country between the middle of XIXth and the beginning of the XXth century specially on some areas of the countryView attachment 13734View attachment 13736
This are two examples of chileans from the XIX century , the first one is 1/4 welsh, 1/4 Northern Italian ( Ligurian) and 50% chilean criolla (mostly Spanish). The second one is mostly chilean upper class from the XIXth century, that is mainly of Iberian descent ( Castilian, Extremadura, Vasc country and Portuguese)

Chileans are truly mixed. It is also interesting to add the relevance mostly of Germans, Italians, Croats and Palestinian immigrants that arrived in the country between the middle of XIXth and the beginning of the XXth century specially on some areas of the countryView attachment 13734View attachment 13736
This are two examples of chileans from the XIX century , the first one is 1/4 welsh, 1/4 Northern Italian ( Ligurian) and 50% chilean criolla (mostly Spanish). The second one is mostly chilean upper class from the XIXth century, that is mainly of Iberian descent ( Castilian, Extremadura, Vasc country and Portuguese)

Try to find another method ... the photos are not visible ...

It's very interesting that virtually ALL of them have a few percent of SSA. So, a few have only 3-5% NA, but they have SSA. Doubtless females. Perhaps from very early in the colonization? I didn't know they had very many SSAs in Chile.

True, you would think that would be in Colombia or Venezuela. But it's EVERYWHERE in Latin America.

For some reason rather than being 8% of the pop that is half SSA, it's EVERYBODY who is 4% SSA.

Happy 2023 to everyone at Eupedia!

Some time ago I read that in the 18th century, in the northwestern provinces of present-day Argentina, bordering Bolivia and Chile, the percentage of African slaves in some cities was enormous. Something that seems strange, because today we tend to perceive these provinces as the ones with the highest percentages of native or mestizo population in Argentina, and without any relationship with Africans. Undoubtedly, that amount of slave population must have influenced the genetics of the region.

The people in the photos seem European. In my university years studying Medicine here in Montevideo, I met several Chileans. Most looked European, and some looked mixed-race. I clarify that they were all upper-middle class.

The people in the photos seem European. In my university years studying Medicine here in Montevideo, I met several Chileans. Most looked European, and some looked mixed-race. I clarify that they were all upper-middle class.

Thanks a lot for you comment Italouruguayan. Indeed in Chile prevalent European ancestry ( and looks) is mostly related to upper class people. As you could imagine, both people on those pictures are my ancestors, the woman is one of my great grandmothers, and the man is my direct male ancestor, is my grandfather's grandfather born in 1860, he was a big landowner and politician, and one of the first Chileans to have a College degree in agronomy. Regards

This thread has been viewed 3045 times.

Back