Genetic study The genetic history of Scandinavia from the Roman Iron Age to the present

N1c-tree.png

The site owner traced N1c back to Paleolithic East Asia. N1c is the western extent of haplogroup N, which is also found in the Far East (China, Korea, Japan). L-1025 entered southern Scandinavia during the Nordic Bronze Age.

The Rurikid subclade Y4339 is primarily found in Sweden (52%), followed by Finland (14%), Russia (10%), Britain (10%) with a smaller frequency in Norway (5%) and Ukraine (5%). The origin of Y4339 is in the territory of Sweden.

https://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_N1c_Y-DNA.shtml

Very interesting, i thought that Vikings were very native Scandos bu looks like they were very diverse

The Scandinavian part was very heavy but yes they have included other people (Balts, Slavs, Saami and even some southern individuals).
In UK Ireland regions were Vikings had some input, we find some subclades of Y-Q too. "Viking" culture was become a way of life.

Last edited:
I forgot the Britain/Ireland Celts who took part in this life style too!

Very interesting, i thought that Vikings were very native Scandos bu looks like they were very diverse

Generally, the name "Viking" refers to allseafaring people from Scandinavia, which includes the regions of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden. So, the original Vikings were indeed Scandinavians, particularly Danes. With that being said, there were also the Baltic Sea Vikings, a group of tribes with a long history of fighting and sailing that could easily rival the most famous Scandinavian Vikings. These tribes came from where the Baltic Run takes you, mainly from the Estonian island of Saarema (Oeselians) and the shores of Latvia and Lithuania (Curonians). Moreover, Balts, Brits, Slavs, Finns, and even people from Germany sometimes joined the "Danish" or "Norwegian" Vikings in the raids. Plus, the Vikings were engaged in the slave trade too. Many of these slaves came from the British Isles and Eastern Europe. Overall, the Vikings' diversity stems from the Northern (or Northwest) and Northern-Eastern European contexts. You also have to take into account that certain burial sites will be more "diverse" than burial sites in the hinterland—the area around or beyond a major town, port, or hub.

This thread has been viewed 6745 times.

Back