PPNB mobility and migration across Southeastern Anatolia and the Southern Levant

kingjohn

Reaction score
Significance
We present the integrative bioarchaeological study on the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB) in the Southeastern Anatolia by combining isotopic data (87Sr/86Sr, δ18O, and δ13Ccarb), new radiocarbon dates, and genome-wide data recovered from human skeletal remains from the site of Nevalı Çori. We also report human genome-wide data from post-Neolithic Nevalı Çori and the late PPNB site of Ba'ja in the Southern Levant. Our combined isotope and ancient DNA data fill a research gap between prehistoric Anatolian and Levantine populations. Our results indicate a decline in human mobility after the first phase of the PPNB in the Southeastern Anatolia accompanied by increasing reliance on domesticated resources and evidence of consanguinity in the PPNB Levant.

Abstract
Growing reliance on animal and plant domestication in the Near East and beyond during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB) (the ninth to eighth millennium BC) has often been associated with a “revolutionary” social transformation from mobility toward more sedentary lifestyles. We are able to yield nuanced insights into the process of the Neolithization in the Near East based on a bioarchaeological approach integrating isotopic and archaeogenetic analyses on the bone remains recovered from Nevalı Çori, a site occupied from the early PPNB in Turkey where some of the earliest evidence of animal and plant domestication emerged, and from Ba'ja, a typical late PPNB site in Jordan. In addition, we present the archaeological sequence of Nevalı Çori together with newly generated radiocarbon dates. Our results are based on strontium (87Sr/86Sr), carbon, and oxygen (δ18O and δ13Ccarb) isotopic analyses conducted on 28 human and 29 animal individuals from the site of Nevalı Çori. 87Sr/86Sr results indicate mobility and connection with the contemporaneous surrounding sites during the earlier PPNB prior to an apparent decline in this mobility at a time of growing reliance on domesticates. Genome-wide data from six human individuals from Nevalı Çori and Ba'ja demonstrate a diverse gene pool at Nevalı Çori that supports connectedness within the Fertile Crescent during the earlier phases of Neolithization and evidence of consanguineous union in the PPNB Ba'ja and the Iron Age Nevalı Çori.

source:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2210611120

Fm6ZgOQWIAg0BpF

Fm7NcuTWIAAbhW3

p.s
the ppnb individual from ba'ja site jordan BAJ022 dated to 7250-6800 bc was e-m34

and the iron age individual from nevali cori site NEV030 dated to 769-483 bc was e-m84 ( ftdna family discover tool defined it even farther as e-m84>e-y5435>e-fgc18401)

Significance
We present the integrative bioarchaeological study on the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB) in the Southeastern Anatolia by combining isotopic data (87Sr/86Sr, δ18O, and δ13Ccarb), new radiocarbon dates, and genome-wide data recovered from human skeletal remains from the site of Nevalı Çori. We also report human genome-wide data from post-Neolithic Nevalı Çori and the late PPNB site of Ba'ja in the Southern Levant. Our combined isotope and ancient DNA data fill a research gap between prehistoric Anatolian and Levantine populations. Our results indicate a decline in human mobility after the first phase of the PPNB in the Southeastern Anatolia accompanied by increasing reliance on domesticated resources and evidence of consanguinity in the PPNB Levant.

Abstract
Growing reliance on animal and plant domestication in the Near East and beyond during the Pre-Pottery Neolithic B (PPNB) (the ninth to eighth millennium BC) has often been associated with a “revolutionary” social transformation from mobility toward more sedentary lifestyles. We are able to yield nuanced insights into the process of the Neolithization in the Near East based on a bioarchaeological approach integrating isotopic and archaeogenetic analyses on the bone remains recovered from Nevalı Çori, a site occupied from the early PPNB in Turkey where some of the earliest evidence of animal and plant domestication emerged, and from Ba'ja, a typical late PPNB site in Jordan. In addition, we present the archaeological sequence of Nevalı Çori together with newly generated radiocarbon dates. Our results are based on strontium (87Sr/86Sr), carbon, and oxygen (δ18O and δ13Ccarb) isotopic analyses conducted on 28 human and 29 animal individuals from the site of Nevalı Çori. 87Sr/86Sr results indicate mobility and connection with the contemporaneous surrounding sites during the earlier PPNB prior to an apparent decline in this mobility at a time of growing reliance on domesticates. Genome-wide data from six human individuals from Nevalı Çori and Ba'ja demonstrate a diverse gene pool at Nevalı Çori that supports connectedness within the Fertile Crescent during the earlier phases of Neolithization and evidence of consanguineous union in the PPNB Ba'ja and the Iron Age Nevalı Çori.

source:

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.2210611120

Fm6ZgOQWIAg0BpF

Fm7NcuTWIAAbhW3

p.s
the ppnb individual from ba'ja site jordan BAJ022 dated to 7250-6800 bc was e-m34

and the iron age individual from nevali cori site NEV030 dated to 769-483 bc was e-m84 ( ftdna family discover tool defined it even farther as e-m84>e-y5435>e-fgc18401)

Nice paper. And in contrast to J, it appears that E was native to the Levant.

update:
now theytree site
told me that BAJ022 is contaminated ( so they don't upload it to there ytree)
so it might not even be real e-m34

NEV030 iron age nevali cori sample dated to 769-483 bc is fine so it is really e-m84

update:
now theytree site
told me that BAJ022 is contaminated ( so they don't upload it to there ytree)
so it might not even be real e-m34

NEV030 iron age nevali cori sample dated to 769-483 bc is fine so it is really e-m84

Okay. Anyway, I've noticed the mtDNA L2a1 in one sample, which some modern Jews, including Ashkenazim, carry. As far as I remember, this haplogroup, L2a1, was also discovered in ancient fossils from the pre-Pottery Neolithic culture at Tell Halula, Syria. And a woman from Tanzania 3100 years ago also carried the L2a1 clade, and she was nearly 40% Natufian/Western Eurasian admixed. So the Natufians did interact with East Africans to some degree. Very insightful.

Okay. Anyway, I've noticed the mtDNA L2a1 in one sample, which some modern Jews, including Ashkenazim, carry. As far as I remember, this haplogroup, L2a1, was also discovered in ancient fossils from the pre-Pottery Neolithic culture at Tell Halula, Syria. And a woman from Tanzania 3100 years ago also carried the L2a1 clade, and she was nearly 40% Natufian/Western Eurasian admixed. So the Natufians did interact with East Africans to some degree. Very insightful.

yes
according to the supplements dataset S04:
it is dated
to a later period
roman imperial time
NEV020- cal 81AD-227AD

still a cool find :cool2:

yes
according to the supplements dataset S04:
it is dated
to a later period
roman imperial time
NEV020- cal 81AD-227AD

still a cool find :cool2:

I second that.:sun:

Interesting variation autosomally.

I don't recall this ever being done on the EEF in, for example, the Balkans or for Greek Neolithic either, or maybe my memory is faulty. It would be interesting to see. Did the group that went to Europe have the Levant admixture, or the Iranian farmer one, and if so, how much.

ngo3nXx.png

here are there files ( for people in the forum who are more interested in there autosomal picture )

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/ena/browser/view/PRJEB58620

p.s
maybe salento can do his magic;)

by the way
David Bush user from anthrogenica (y)

David Bush

BAJ022 From Ba`ja (JORDAN): Y HAPLOGROUP: E-M34
NEV009 From Nevalı Çori (TURKEY): Y HAPLOGROUP : ...
NEV030 From Nevalı Çori (TURKEY): Y HAPLOGROUP : E-Y5437; E-FGC18389 OR E-Y21768

i do not know though if david is aware that BAJ022 sample was contaminated according to theytree they told me that NEV030 is sure
e-m34 though
:unsure:

Last edited:
Ted kandell cent in twitter on BAJ022 ( his own analysis he is 1 of the 2 experts
In yfull team the other is pribislav)(y)

Sample BAJ022 from about 7000 BCE in the Late Pre-Pottery Neolithic B is positive for 3 E-M84 SNPs and negative for 3 E-M84 SNPs, including 2 negative reads for FGC18322/Y5411.
He is clearly pre-E-M84*, an ancestor of all of E-M84.

also uploaded to ftdna discover tool :cool-v:

https://i.imgur.com/4a4G5gz.png

P.s
So i guess BAJ022 wasn't contaminated after all
And was the real deal and even important sample to the structure of e-m84 tree

Last edited:
Found this paper by asking random questions to Bing AI.

"How much Levant_PPNB is in Anatolian_BA?"

Answer:

According to a study published in PNAS[COLOR=var(--cib-color-brand-tertiary-foreground)]1[/COLOR], Anatolian_BA populations had an average of 3.6% Levant_PPNB ancestry, with some individuals having up to 9.5%. The study used genome-wide data from ancient individuals from Anatolia and the Southern Levant to estimate admixture proportions and dates. The study also found that Levant_PPNB ancestry was more prevalent in Anatolian_LC populations (average 8.7%) than in Anatolian_EBA populations (average 2.1%).

This thread has been viewed 4103 times.

Back