Ancient cemetery with more than 1000 graves discovered in Halkidiki

Omino

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
J2a
https://greekcitytimes.com/2023/03/...ore-than-1000-graves-discovered-in-halkidiki/

"During the excavations (2018–19 and 2020) carried out by the archaeologists of Halkidiki and the Athos Ephorate of antiquities Eleni Lambrotanasi, Despina Vovura and Harikleia Koromila, more than 1000 graves were discovered 10th to 5th century BC. The graves were discovered when contractors began excavating the area after purchasing land to build a tourist complex.The burials include amphorae, cists, pit latrines and a sarcophagus, which testify to the burial customs of the vast Chalkidiki region from the Iron Age to the Early Classic period.
During the excavations, when foundations were dug on a piece of land that had been purchased for the construction of the hotel, many tombs were discovered, mostly intact, densely located in a sandy-marshy layer, dating back to 10-5 centuries BC.
Burials in pithoi up to two meters high and amphorae inside stone enclosures, funerary sarcophagi and pit graves testify to a variety of funerary practices from the Iron Age to Early Classical times."

That's amazing. One thousand Iron Age and Classical Age specimens. Hope they will test some.

From the middle leg of Halkidiki. Halkidiki in general is an interesting case in terms of history and migrations. Being coastal it was under the influence and settlements of southern Greek states from early on instead of Macedon which wasn’t a seafaring power. If they ever sequence anything from there, I expect them to be southern shifted compared to rest of Macedonian samples. If not, history might need to be rewritten since the area wasn’t incorporated into Macedon until the mid 4th century BC.

From the middle leg of Halkidiki. Halkidiki in general is an interesting case in terms of history and migrations. Being coastal it was under the influence and settlements of southern Greek states from early on instead of Macedon which wasn’t a seafaring power. If they ever sequence anything from there, I expect them to be southern shifted compared to rest of Macedonian samples. If not, history might need to be rewritten since the area wasn’t incorporated into Macedon until the mid 4th century BC.
The first movements from the south happened around 8th Century BC, some graves are earlier.
Highly doubt that we won't see any Northern shifted profiles.
My guess is that we'll find profiles like Logkas02

It’s 1000 years too late for that but i expect a range of profiles in between palace of Nestor (on the south side for early samples from Aegean islanders that moved there) to a mixture of these with Ohrid style samples (northern limit of the range). I don’t think we will see very northern shifted ones because macedon simply wasn’t powerful enough at 500BC to make a move against the Athenian commonwealth or Spartan Allies.

It’s 1000 years too late for that but i expect a range of profiles in between palace of Nestor (on the south side for early samples from Aegean islanders that moved there) to a mixture of these with Ohrid style samples (northern limit of the range). I don’t think we will see very northern shifted ones because macedon simply wasn’t powerful enough at 500BC to make a move against the Athenian commonwealth or Spartan Allies.

logkas04 is the very northern shifted one,logkas02(the one i mentioned previously) is the one with less steppe admixture.
Macedon capital is less than 100 kms away from chalkidiki so i doubt that there weren't any movements between those 2 areas even back then.

One way or another. The area became part of Macedon. So these people were to become Classical Age Macedonians. And I doubt all are South Greek settlers. And lastly, let us not forget, we are all waiting for Classical Greek specimens from the mainland.

I'm hoping to see DNA from THAT exact period of time.

The problem is it will take a few years.

For these specimens yes. But there may be some other researches in the pipeline.
But one thousand Iron/Classical Age graves is a good find. Would make a fine paper.

Hope so,we have dosens of Bronze age and Neolithic samples.Iron age and later eras samples are definitely needed

This thread has been viewed 3421 times.

Back