Average Percentages of WHG, ENF, and ESH Ancestry in Modern Europeans

Alex266

Reaction score
My friend recently did a DNA test with Family Tree DNA and his ancientOrigins results came back with him being 50% Hunter Gatherer, 39% Neolithic Farmer, and 11% Eastern Steppe Herder. This was surprising to me because I was under the impression that the percentage of European hunter gatherer DNA in modern Europeans was miniscule. I couldn't find any up-to-date information about this topic online. Does anyone have any information about the average percentages of hunter gatherer DNA in modern Europeans?

My friend recently did a DNA test with Family Tree DNA and his ancientOrigins results came back with him being 50% Hunter Gatherer, 39% Neolithic Farmer, and 11% Eastern Steppe Herder. This was surprising to me because I was under the impression that the percentage of European hunter gatherer DNA in modern Europeans was miniscule. I couldn't find any up-to-date information about this topic online. Does anyone have any information about the average percentages of hunter gatherer DNA in modern Europeans?

I got a similar result from the Family DNA website. They never expalined to me what parts of Europe the WHG came from. I later found out that many WHG represented by the YDNA signature I-M253 survived in the northern part of the Continent. So maybe you have a lot of autosomodial DNA from that area.

Those numbers sound similar to what Estonians, Lithuanians, and Latvians get.

Nope,depending on his/her nationality he/she may have larger WHG admixture

Those numbers sound similar to what Estonians, Lithuanians, and Latvians get.

I would expect more Western Steppe Herder (Yamnaya) ancestry, if that were the case.

Swedes/Nords seem to have the highest surviving WHG component.

Target: German
Distance: 3.8176% / 0.03817627
46.2Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
40.4TUR_Marmara_Barcin_N
13.4WHG

Target: Greek_Messenia
Distance: 3.0293% / 0.03029313
62.0TUR_Marmara_Barcin_N
38.0Yamnaya_RUS_Samara

Target: Italian_Northeast
Distance: 2.4410% / 0.02441022
54.4TUR_Marmara_Barcin_N
38.4Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
7.2WHG

Target: Swedish
Distance: 4.5887% / 0.04588700
51.2Yamnaya_RUS_Samara
32.2TUR_Marmara_Barcin_N
16.6WHG

Target: Sardinian
Distance: 3.3761% / 0.03376101
82.0TUR_Marmara_Barcin_N
13.0WHG
5.0Yamnaya_RUS_Samara

Latvians have high WHG but the distance is so great it's most likely an EHG rather than WHG component plus a later Slav component.

This thread has been viewed 3606 times.

Back