Scientist claims humans will be able to upload consciousness onto computer.

real expert

Reaction score
Scientist claims humans will be able to upload consciousness onto computer by the end of this YEAR — as he urges people to start recording their elderly relatives NOW to prepare

A computer scientist is urging the world to record their elderly parents and loved ones as he predicts consciousness could be uploaded onto a computer this year.
Dr Pratik Desai, who has founded multiple Silicon Valley AI startups, said that if people have enough video and voice recorders of their loved ones, there is a '100 percent chance' of relatives 'living with you forever.'
Desai, who has created his own ChatGPT-like system, wrote on Twitter: 'This should be even possible by end of the year.'
Many scientists believe the rapid advancements in AI, which ChatGPT is spearheading, are poised to usher in a new golden era for technology.
However, the world's greatest minds are split on the technology - Elon Musk and more than 1,000 tech leaders are calling for a pause, warning it could destroy humanity.
On the other side are other experts, like Bill Gates, who believe AI will improve our lives - and it seems other experts are on board with the idea it will help us live on forever.

The process would include digitizing videos, voice recordings, documents and photos of the person, then fed to an AI system that learns everything it can about the individual.
Users can then design a specific avatar that looks and acts just like their living relative did.

The advancement of ChatGPT has progressed one company working on virtual humans.
The project called Live Forever creates a VR robot of a person with the same speech and mannerisms as the person it was tasked with replicating.
Artur Sychov, the founder of Live Forever, told Motherboard in 2022 that he predicted the technology would be out in five years, but due to recent advancements inAI, he expects it will only be a short time.
'We can take this data and apply AI to it and recreate you as an avatar on your land parcel or inside your NFT world, and people will be able to come and talk to you,' Sychov told Motherboard.
'You will meet the person. And you would maybe for the first 10 minutes while talking to that person, you would not know that it's actually AI. That's the goal.' :suspicious::petrified:
Another AI company, DeepBrain AI, has created a memorial hall that lets people reunite with their dead loved ones in an immersive experience.
The service, called Rememory, uses photos, videos, and a seven-hour interview of the person while still living.
The AI-powered virtual person is designed with deep learning technologies to capture the individual's look and voice, which is displayed on a 400-inch screen.
In 2020, a Korean television show used virtual reality to reunite a mother with her seven-year-old daughter, who died in 2016.

The show, 'Meeting You,' recounted the story of a family's loss of their seven-year-old daughter Nayeon.
The two could touch, play and hold conversations, and the little girl reassured her mother that she was no longer in pain.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...ss-computer-end-YEAR.html?ito=social-facebook

In a tweet on April 8, Desai wrote: "Start regularly recording your parents, elders and loved ones. With enough transcript data, new voice synthesis and video models, there is a 100% chance that they will live with you forever after leaving physical body. This should be even possible by end of the year."

"Sometimes when you see technology making it possible in your grief process and you think it is possible, you may go out of character and say something without a thinking seriously. I’m not a ghoul not I have desire to make any product like this," he added.
Start regularly recording your parents, elders and loved ones. With enough transcript data, new voice synthesis and video models, there is a 100% chance that they will live with you forever after leaving physical body. This should be even possible by end of the year.
— Pratik Desai (@chheplo) April 8, 2023

What he said is not entirely new as several scientists have floated this idea before also. Last year, Artur Sychov, CEO and founder of Somnium Space, introduced a similar concept and decided to create a new feature called "Live Forever" mode after his father's death. Sychov had discussed how his platform may enable users to create an avatar version of themselves that will "live" forever online.

While speaking to Motherboard in 2022, Sychov said that he predicted the technology would be out in five years. However, the processing can be even faster with the recent advancements in the area of artificial intelligence.

Sychov had told Motherboard: "We can take this data and apply AI to it and recreate you as an avatar on your land parcel or inside your NFT world, and people will be able to come and talk to you".

"You will meet the person. And you would maybe for the first 10 minutes while talking to that person, you would not know that it's actually AI. That's the goal," he added.

Humans are doomed to die, but what if we can keep their life-like presence forever? Experts have divided views into all the claims and counterclaims that give a glimpse into the future of technology.

https://www.wionews.com/science/wil...iousness-and-sensibility-onto-computer-581295

A very dangerous technology and an effective tool to play with our minds and perceptions like never before. Illusion becomes your reality.
No wonder our personal data is being collected and stored by big tech. Uploading a carbon copy of yourself and then operating it as your double elsewhere. What could possibly go wrong?

69670671-11956817-Google_Engineer_Ray_Kurzweil_is_also_working_on_a_digital_afterl-a-3_1681141406559.jpg

Google Engineer Ray Kurzweil is also working on a digital afterlife for humans - specifically to resurrect his father
Google Engineer Ray Kurzweil i

69670641-11956817-image-a-4_1681139069836.jpg

A Korean show in 2020 used virtual reality to reunite a mother with her seven-year-old daughter (pictured), who died in 2016. The technology recreated the little girl as she was before dying

These stories are not about uploading "consciousness onto computer". That's a different concept entirely. Perhaps in the distant future it will be possible to replace components of the brain with artificial electronic or quantum components. If this process progresses gradually enough, a person's stream of consciousness may be preserved up to the point where their brain has been replaced by a computer, which could then network with other computers, including those with the latest AI capabilities. That would be really uploading consciousness onto a computer, not merely creating avatars of the departed from old family videos.

If everybody's sense of identity and individuality could be continued on computer, everybody could merge with AI and control it, avoiding the risk of AI taking over and deciding to dispense with humans. The only thing that would be dispensed with would be our mortal bodies, and even these could be continued as avatars if we retained a sentimental attachment to our memories of them. What a wonderful future lies ahead! Sadly, though, as members of the last mortal generations, it's unlikely to come soon enough for us.

"Lower your shields and surrender your ships. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."
"By assimilating other races into our collective, we are bringing them closer to perfection."
"You will be assimilated", "Existence as you know it is over"
-The Borg.

I don't know if that life would be so wonderful

I doubt it will ever be possible to transfer someone's consciousness into a machine.
Consciousness is a derivative, it is the result of the evolution of the nervous system.
Perceptions, individuality, language, ideas, meaning, culture, choice (or free will), morals and ethics all exist as a result of brain functioning, so how could it exist without a body?
And even if one day it were possible, how could it be said to be desirable?
Losing our individuality, our privacy, our body.
The body is fundamental for the personality, for establishing the identity of our person.
To clearly establish the distinction between what is ours and what is not.
Our body establishes our personality.
Without the body no spirit, no soul could exist.
Our personality is linked to the awareness of a body that belongs to us, the memory of all our individual states, the difference we feel between ourselves and others.
Knowledge of oneself is also situated in opposition to knowledge of others.
Knowing that you have a personality is equivalent to feeling profoundly different from others.
How could that be transferred to a machine?
And if it were possible how would we maintain our independence, how would we draw the line between me and others ?
Every personality, if such still existed, would be suppressed.
It would perhaps be a totalitarian world, where all difference was suppressed, hence my reference to the Borg.
The way forward to defeat death, I believe, is to try to discover the biological mechanisms of cellular aging and try to delay or reverse them.

Last edited:
It's an open question whether it will someday be possible to transfer consciousness to a machine. Certainly, it's not technically possible currently or in the near future. However, to a materialist like me, consciousness already exists in an evolved biological machine, the human brain. A very complex machine, the most complex machine in the known universe, but a machine nonetheless. Therefore, I see no reason in principle why consciousness could never be transferred from one machine to another.

In the 1930s Turing conceptualized the computer as a universal machine. That is, a machine that can replicate any other possible machine.

Of course, there would be risks, but in the most optimistic scenario a person would have no sensation of losing their body or losing their personality or individuality. The transition to avatar bodies could be so seamless people wouldn't even notice the change in themselves or anyone around them. Perceptions, movement, emotions, thoughts and the ability to make free choices could be more or less the same as before, given that consciousness is always changing anyway. My consciousness is not the same as it was ten years ago, or one year ago, or even yesterday.

People would know that the transition is happening, since certain procedures and interventions would be needed, and they could choose to opt out. But those who opt in would not necessarily feel any sudden transition point if it happens gradually.

Dystopian futures seem to be more popular these days, but I tend towards optimism. On the other hand, I recognize that achieving a positive future for all will require consensus, intelligent planning, risk assessment, vigilance, and a lot of hard work.

There is a story that in 1899 Charles H. Duell, the Commissioner of the US patent office, said "Everything that can be invented has been invented." It is an apocryphal story of course, he never said that.
But it serves to illustrate the position of people who believe that we have reached the peak, the limit of human creativity, and that from then on nothing more will be invented.
I feel a bit like these people in saying that I doubt that consciousness can ever be transferred to a machine.
I doubt it, but I also know that we shouldn't underestimate the creative capacity of the human mind.
If someone from the early 19th century lands by a miracle in our century, he would think that perhaps he was in an extraterrestrial world.
Who knows what the world will be like in 100 years.
If we had the opportunity to visit that world, we would also be in the situation of that man from the 19th century.
One way or another, I agree with you when you say that a wonderful future lies ahead, if humanity knows how to solve the others serious problems it faces, the climate crisis, overpopulation, poverty, the conflicts between nations.
Sadly, as you said also, our generation will no longer be around to witness these events. I am 57 years old, by the way.

Why would we want to have our intelligence on a computer?

We already have brains of our own and they're logically better in holding our minds, consciousness and emotions...

Why would we want to have our intelligence on a computer?
We already have brains of our own and they're logically better in holding our minds, consciousness and emotions...

Currently that's true, but in the future computers have the potential to increase their capabilities, intelligence, memory capacity, speed and ability to network globally much faster than our brains. Computers of the future are also likely to be more robust and longer lasting than our brains, less prone to damage and decay in the long term.

That doesn't mean eternal life for human consciousness on computers though, since the solar system has a limited lifespan of about 5 billion years and even the universe itself will die one day.

This thread has been viewed 2584 times.

Back