77 Samnite Samples in Upcoming aDNA paper

Really looking forward to it. As Italic people they should have a lot of R1b-U152, but I wouldn't be surprised if there had more G2a than Latins and Etruscans considering the region of Molise is now a hotspot of G2a (about 24% of the population). That would imply a higher at mixture with the Copper Age population of Italy.

My guess is that Alfedena will plot similar to IA latins on the "old" Italian cline due to their distance from greek colonies. Later, probably after or around the socii war they will receive Aegean influence from internal migrations and begin to fall in line with the rest of Greek influenced southern Italy on the modern italian cline.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to it. As Italic people they should have a lot of R1b-U152, but I wouldn't be surprised if there had more G2a than Latins and Etruscans considering the region of Molise is now a hotspot of G2a (about 24% of the population). That would imply a higher at mixture with the Copper Age population of Italy.
A high level of G2a is very probable.

Samnite results would show if Umbro-Sabellians were a bit different from IA Etruscans and Latins thus reflecting an east-west split within Italy.

A high level of G2a is very probable.

Samnite results would show if Umbro-Sabellians were a bit different from IA Etruscans and Latins thus reflecting an east-west split within Italy.
Would make geographic sense due to the Apennines.

My guess is that Alfedena will plot similar to IA latins on the "old" Italian cline due to their distance from greek colonies. Later, probably after or around the socii war they will receive Aegean influence from internal migrations and begin to fall in line with the rest of Greek influenced southern Italy on the modern italian cline.
Back in 1969, in the days when we only had physical anthropology to go by, Francesco Vecchi did a study of South Etruscan (Tarquinia, Orvieto, Chiusi), Roman (from early Rome itself) and Samnite skulls from Alfedena in Abruzzo.
He found that the skulls from early Rome were closer to the Etruscan than to the Samnite.

Source: Rivista di Antropologia; Volume LVI (1969).

Last edited:
Do you reckon they might show any similarity with the Piceni results? There's some degree of geographical proximity there.

My guess is that they will be Tuscan-Modern C. ITA-like perhaps, but who knows. That's purely speculation.

My reasoning is that they follow the genetic cline south of Latins.
Given where the Picenes plot (Northern Italians & Tuscans), I find reason to speculate that they may even plot over central and south Italians. We'll have to wait and see.

If so, it would make sense for some of the outliers we see among Latins (R437), Daunians, and the one Picene.

Which would essentially show the Italian cline in the IA.

Given where the Picenes plot (Northern Italians & Tuscans), I find reason to speculate that they may even plot over central and south Italians. We'll have to wait and see.

If so, it would make sense for some of the outliers we see among Latins (R437), Daunians, and the one Picene.

They were kinda similar to Latins from what I have been told.

I personally expect them to be similar to Latins or Picenes, but given that the Necropolis of Alfedena dates from the VIII century up until the start of the III century, we might indeed start to see some aegean shift in the later samples. That would be quite interesting.

I personally expect them to be similar to Latins or Picenes, but given that the Necropolis of Alfedena dates from the VIII century up until the start of the III century, we might indeed start to see some aegean shift in the later samples. That would be quite interesting.
More similar to Picenes, I wager.

This thread has been viewed 1348 times.

Back