How many languages can you can speak ?

I can speak three to four Languages when needed. I have my native language which is Filipino and I'm speaking English. I learned how to speak French and Spanish languages too and still working out with the other Languages.

Last edited:
Nice scale, @Maciamo.

Depends how well. What does it mean to speak a foreign language ?

1) Just being able to ask simple things like ask your way or book a hotel.
2) Being able to hold a daily conversation
3) Being able to speak about most common things fluently
4) Being able to speak about most academic and technical subjects, but don't know enough vocabulary, slang, idomatic expression, etc. to be native or able to teach the language.
5) Upper-advanced or native speaker.
6) Know the language in depth, better than most native-speaker and be know little-used words and expressions (level to be a good writer)

5. - 6. Spanish.
4. English.
2. German.
1. Japanese ( however, I know a lot of Kanji ).

Reading:

Russian ( know Cyrillic and some common expressions ).
French, Portoguese, Italian, Romanian, Dutch ( could understand more or less what's in a text)

Regards.

Turkish
Dutch
German
English
Spanish (starter)
Bosnian (starter)
Swedish (starter)

I speak fluently Swedish, Polish, german, english, portuguese and of course I understand all the related languages and could after a relatively quick training speak them as well.
Interesting thing is how you feel and appreciate the phonetics of different languages. It´s very arbitrary. I love the sound of Swedish (but not the southern variety!), Russian and Portuguese but dislike their cousins Danish, Polish or french. I can only explain it rationally to some extent. E.g. the glotal stops and ugly laryngal R sounds make me hate the danish pronunciation.
Equally the laryngal speech sounds of arabic and hebrew make it unpleasant for me

WOuld be interesting to hear if some other multilingual pple have the same experience.

5 German
4 English
2 Swahili
1 French

My reading and comprehension skills in French are by far better. However I wouldn't be able to express myself in the same way.

This thread has been viewed 32369 times.

Back