Forgiveness

I've always believed, "To err is human, to forgive divine." Now I do not adhere to any religion, nor do I attend any church, but I do believe that humans are on this earth to learn forgiveness of one's enemies among many other things we have to learn.

I have been burned by family members, friends, and loved ones throughout my 50 years of life on this planet and I have forgiven every one of them and taken them back. A few have even burned me a second time and I forgave them again, but never took them back into my life as I also believe in the adage, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me." The point is, I still forgave them in my heart as I feel that is what I am supposed to do while alive.

Some have called me a fool, but inside my heart I know it was the right thing to do. I find it very sad that there are some who cannot forgive another being for something they have done to them or a family member. Therefore, they go through their lives hating the person and living with the anger of the transgression. This eats at the core of their very being and I feel they do not live very happy or productive lives. Some say they are happy and lead productive lives, but without the freedom that real forgiveness gives one's soul, I hardly doubt it as I have seen what hate can do to a family member and it is very sad indeed. 30 years later they still talk about it with all the venom and hate they ever had. It must really eat at them and I would not want to go through life in that state.

The forgiveness I have given others for wrongs done to me has given me the freedom to totally forget about it and go on with life.

Pachipro said:
Some have called me a fool, but inside my heart I know it was the right thing to do. I find it very sad that there are some who cannot forgive another being for something they have done to them or a family member. Therefore, they go through their lives hating the person and living with the anger of the transgression. This eats at the core of their very being and I feel they do not live very happy or productive lives. Some say they are happy and lead productive lives, but without the freedom that real forgiveness gives one's soul, I hardly doubt it as I have seen what hate can do to a family member and it is very sad indeed. 30 years later they still talk about it with all the venom and hate they ever had. It must really eat at them and I would not want to go through life in that state.

The forgiveness I have given others for wrongs done to me has given me the freedom to totally forget about it and go on with life.

i totally agree, it feels like the forgiveness gives and means to myself even more that to those i`m forgiving. it frees the heart

This has happened to me several times in my seventy years of life. I forgive completely....but I cannot forget.
Forgiveness helps heal my deep hurts.

I have one friend that I have been through so much with that the only thing I could not forgive would be hurting my daughters.

If I can't forget, then I have probably not quite forgiven either. Deep hurt I cannot forget, and therefore not forgive. If a friend, I would break with the individual; if a relative, it would not be that easy to break up the relationship, but I would limit the time we spent together to a minimum.

This thread has been viewed 21666 times.

Back