The beauty of words

My signature... from Vash in Trigun.

EscaFlowne said:
No ideals original, there's nothing new under the sun.
Why you base your happeiness on material women and large paper.
That means your inferior not major.
-NAs- No ideals original.

Made a mistake in this post ^^
"No ideals original , there's nothing new under the sun.
It's never what you did but how its done.
What you base your happiness on material women and large paper.
That means you inferior not major."

New Quote is in my sig. :balloon: I love this smiley. but its not better then :p

For whom the bell tolls (No man is an island)
by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

John Donne
Meditation 17
Devotions upon Emergent Occasions

I love quotations. They are the best way to know that someone, who may be distant from me in time and space, has the same hopes and fears that I do. I love the way someone else has found the words to describe exactly how I am feeling. I even remember exactly when I fell in love with quotations. When I was 13 my Dad told me these two, and then I could see quotations everywhere:
My mind moves mountains by itself
and
He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool, shun him
He who knows not and knows that he knows not can be taught, teach him
He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep, wake him
He who knows and knows that he knows is a prophet, follow him.
The second one still gives me goosebumps - it is the fact that I can't tell a fool from a prophet that really gets me.
Around the same time my Dad also introduced me to Jethro Tull (the band, not the inventor of the seed drill!). There is a load of wisdom in their songs, but I like this especially:
He who made kittens put snakes in the grass

''The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long''

That was said by Dr.Tyrell, in Bladerunner.

I am also very moved when I hear Martin Luther King's speeches.
Actually, that kind of links to my first one, as M.L.K was taken from us long before his time.

Last edited:
"To Dream the Impossible Dream"

"To march into hell for a heavenly cause."

"And the world will be better for this, that one man, torn and covered with scars, still strove with his last ounce of courage, to reach the unreachable stars."

nothing is imposible, even possible says im possible

"Work is the refuge of people who have nothing better to do."

Oscar Wilde.
Its just so true.

That one is great (y) I've never heard that one before! So this is it, Germans simply have nothing better to do!

Memories will fade
Acceptance is needed
Reminiscing is your habit
It's not good, that must be Vanished,
In order to forget him
Move on and Never turn your back again.

Poem for someone.

Well the ancient Scandinavians believed words were "magical". I suppose if used right they still can be!

I've always enjoyed the poem 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes in to us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine

the Smiths

"Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth."

Mallory Hopkins

^^ Now, that's really good; the kind of humor I like.

^^ Now, that's really good; the kind of humor I like.

I've posted a lot of poems that are meaningful to me in the poetry thread. There are poems which, whether or not they are particularly meaningful to me, I always remember for the "words" themselves. They're usually lines with a lot of alliteration, or wonderful rhyming and meter, which reminds you that poetry was meant to be sung, originally. They are lines which must be spoken aloud to get the full "music" of them. This is why if at all possible you should try to read poetry in the original. These things just don't translate into another language.

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe is a great example:

Once upon a midnight dreary while I pondered weak and weary.

And the silken sad uncertain rustling of each purple curtain

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing, Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before

Or Shakespeare...
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes; A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life.

These are both profound and beautiful...

Some prose can also contain memorable poetic lines.

James Joyce:
His soul swooned slowly as he heard the snow falling faintly through the universe and faintly falling, like the descent of their last end, upon all the living and the dead.

F. Scott Fitzgerald
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

I find that the work of Maya Angelou, whom I adore, has a lot of this...
Up the aisle, the moans and screams merged with the sickening smell of woolen black clothes worn in summer weather and green leaves wilting over yellow flowers.

Sometimes I can't forget a poem even if it really means nothing emotionally or philosophically to me, says nothing profound, but purely for the poetical "language". One great example is Coleridge's Kubla Khan. It's hypnotic, and demands to be proclaimed aloud.
https://interestingliterature.com/2017/08/29/a-short-analysis-of-coleridges-kubla-khan/

Edited for punctuation

Last edited:
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (often shortened to Huck Finn) is a novel written by Mark Twain and published in 1884. It is commonly regarded one of the Great American Novels, and is one of the first major American novels written in the vernacular, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, best friend of Tom Sawyer and narrator of two other Twain novels.

The book is noted for its colorful description of people and places along the Mississippi River. By satirizing a Southern antebellum society that was already anachronistic at the time of its publication, the book is an often scathing look at entrenched attitudes, particularly racism. The drifting journey of Huck and his friend Jim, a runaway slave, down the Mississippi River on their raft may be one of the most enduring images of escape and freedom in all of American literature. I like also read about it here — https://taiiyabilanna.kinja.com/satire-in-huckleberry-finn-1832868680?rev=1551108397944

This thread has been viewed 31189 times.

Back