German for Starters

They DO go to San Diego, and every other city in the state of California, including many of the agriculturally important cities. Americans don't go out into the vegetable fields in the hot sun and pick the crop, illegal aliens from Latin America do.

But since LA is the biggest city in California, naturally most end up here.

BTW, New Mexico wasn't named that because many Mexicans go to that state.

Golgo_13 said:
They DO go to San Diego, and every other city in the state of California, including many of the agriculturally important cities. Americans don't go out into the vegetable fields in the hot sun and pick the crop, illegal aliens from Latin America do.

But since LA is the biggest city in California, naturally most end up here.

BTW, New Mexico wasn't named that because many Mexicans go to that state.
Aliens!? :relief: Well, I guess most Martians and such can't be picky about their work, can they?
Well, at least initially (a long time ago) many settlers from Mexico came there adn called their home New Mexico.Just like a long time ago, when British settlers from the town of York came to America, they named their new town New York.
As we're just talking about New York (or "Big Apple" - no idea why it's called that), I've heard that West Coast and East Coast (and of them, especially LA and NY) can't stand each other. Now as I have the opportunity to hear it right out of the mouth of the horse, so to say, I thought I'd ask you about how you think about NY? Don't you like them, or are these your best buddies?

Lina Inverse said:
Just like a long time ago, when British settlers from the town of York came to America, they named their new town New York.
As we're just talking about New York (or "Big Apple" - no idea why it's called that), I've heard that West Coast and East Coast (and of them, especially LA and NY) can't stand each other. Now as I have the opportunity to hear it right out of the mouth of the horse, so to say, I thought I'd ask you about how you think about NY? Don't you like them, or are these your best buddies?

Before it was named New York, it was a Dutch colony and was called New Amsterdam. I went to Stuyvesant High School, which was named after the first Dutch governor of New York.

There are many apple farms/orchards in upstate New York, and since NYC is the biggest city in the state of New York, the city is called the "Big Apple."

I'll always consider myslef a native New Yorker. I can still recite all the station names along the Flushing #7 train line. I like LA because of the weather and the larger Japanese-American population, but I like the people of NYC better. More culturally diverse than in LA. I find people in LA very self-centered, selfish and arrogant (you can tell just by the way everybody drives here). Afterall, this is the city of Hollywood, and everybody thinks he's a star. If NYC had lower cost of living and better weather, I still might be living there.

So you actually come from New York? Very interesting... it isn't mentioned in your location (LA is clear, but the X in LAX? No idea about the other two...)
Well, since Hollywood's there, I can easily imagine people being that way.
Let's make an actual check of the temperatures (using Weather.com)
Ok, here it is: US Weather Forecast May 20
Los Angeles: 66?F (19?C)
New York: 70?F (21?C)
Well... seems like LA drew the shorter straw there :relief:
Sunny Germany: 75?F (24?C) today - guess you should better come over here :D

Lina Inverse said:
to 2. Well, you can use several levels of formality... I tried to balance it somewhat...
most formal: "Guten Tag, ich bin..." - "Sehr erfreut, ihre Bekanntschaft zu machen." literally: "Good day, I am..." - "(I am) very pleased to make your acquantance."
formal: "Guten Tag..." - "Angenehm."
somewhat formal: "Hallo..." - "Angenehm."
informal: "Hallo..." - "Hallo."
Also for "How are you?", you have a formal and an informal version:
formal: "Wie geht es Ihnen?"
informal: "Wie geht es dir?"

to 5. well, not quite... instead of "nicht", you'd rather use another word. Look at the vocabulary.
Mann, ich wusste nicht, dass ich bei einer "erste Stunde" etwas noch lernen kann :hey: ( ich habe "Angenehm" nie in einer Dialog geh?rt... )
(?h.. und wie du /euch siehst /sieht ich habe noch Problemen mit Artikeln und Adjektivdeklinazion :) )

Angel of Dark Winds said:
Mann, ich wusste nicht, dass ich bei einer "ersten Stunde" etwas noch lernen kann :hey: ( ich habe "Angenehm" nie in einem Dialog geh?rt... )
(?h.. und wie du/Sie siehst/sehen, habe ich noch Probleme- mit Artikeln und Adjektivdeklination :) )
Ich habe mal deine Fehler korrigiert :wave:
Soweit schon wirklich ganz gut :haihai:

"Angenehm" ist eine relativ formale Anrede, die im umgangssprachlichen Umgang in der Regel nicht verwendet wird.

I find it quite strange coming from Australia where there is pretty much only one language/dialect, Australian English, to hear about how much dialects can differ with distance in Germany.
I went to Germany once and we were travelling to Bayern from Baden-W?rttemberg and there were some Bavarians on the train with us. I asked one of the guys I was with to tell us what they were saying but he couldn't understand a word!
And then I tried to talk Hochdeutsch to a couple Bavarians in Bayern but they couldn't understand me either. I thought it was because of my bad pronunciation then, but maybe it was because they only recognise their own M?nchen dialect well?
Travelling the same distance in Australia, for example from Victoria to South Australia, there is no difference whatsoever in language/dialect apart from a slight difference in accent which is most of the time unnoticeable.
Anyway, my German's alot better now than it was then, so if i went back to Germany I reckon I'd be able to communicate better than i could then.

steryos said:
I find it quite strange coming from Australia where there is pretty much only one language/dialect, Australian English, to hear about how much dialects can differ with distance in Germany.
I went to Germany once and we were travelling to Bayern from Baden-W?Ettemberg and there were some Bavarians on the train with us. I asked one of the guys I was with to tell us what they were saying but he couldn't understand a word!
And then I tried to talk Hochdeutsch to a couple Bavarians in Bayern but they couldn't understand me either. I thought it was because of my bad pronunciation then, but maybe it was because they only recognise their own M?Echen dialect well?
Travelling the same distance in Australia, for example from Victoria to South Australia, there is no difference whatsoever in language/dialect apart from a slight difference in accent which is most of the time unnoticeable.
Anyway, my German's alot better now than it was then, so if i went back to Germany I reckon I'd be able to communicate better than i could then.
The issue is probably that the Bavarian dialect is very different from Standard German, so much that I'd say it's a language of its own, as it's actually pretty much incomprehensible to any German. I guess the opposite would be right as well, a Bavarian will have difficulties understanding normal German if he only speaks Bavarian.
So, it's certainly not your fault that you weren't understood. If you went back to Germany (and not Bavaria), then you probably wouldn't have problems in being understood.

Guten Tag, Ich habe Deutch nicht gesprecht(sp?) fur mehr als 6 Jahren. Ich habe verscheidene Tale gelehrt in die Zeit. Ein von die Talen ist Nederlandisch und die hast All mein worter geesst(Essen=eat, right?)

please tell me what's wrong with that sentence. My Dutch has obliterated my German.(I wonder why Deutsch isn't called Dutch in English)

Gott in Himmel! I'm back at school. I'm 13 again trying to get my tongue around German. Actually I wanted to do German at school, but had to do French. Now let's try again.
For some reason my brother always uses the german for why

kevinsano said:
Guten Tag, Ich habe Deutch nicht gesprecht(sp?) fur mehr als 6 Jahren. Ich habe verscheidene Tale gelehrt in die Zeit. Ein von die Talen ist Nederlandisch und die hast All mein worter geesst(Essen=eat, right?)

please tell me what's wrong with that sentence. My Dutch has obliterated my German.(I wonder why Deutsch isn't called Dutch in English)
Guten Tag, ich habe seit mehr als sechs Jahren kein Deutsch gesprochen. Ich habe in dieser Zeit (or: inzwischen, or: seitdem) verschiedene Sprachen gelernt (?, gelehrt is "taught"). Eine dieser Sprachen ist Niederländisch, und die hat alle [deutschen] Wörter aufgefressen.

Dat is duidelijk te zien. "Taal" is Nederlands en je volgorde van de zinsdelen lijkt ook heel erg op Nederlands. Maar je kunt verstaan wat je wilt zeggen.

Woah, Nederlands, dat helpt veel. Ik ben al die naamvallen vergeten. Thanks again. I'm gonna save my German grammer booklet from the dust it's been collecting.

Zauriel said:
Ich woll Sie treffen. Aber mochten Sie mich treffen?
Ich will/möchte Sie treffen. Aber möchten Sie mich treffen?

It depends on what you actually want to say, though. You wouldn't usually use the 2nd sentence as you did. Better versions (depending on context):

Wie wär's (= Wie wäre es)?
Geht das?
Hätten Sie Interesse?
Interessiert?
Haben Sie Zeit?

If you met a girl you want to get to know better, another less direct approach would be advisable, eg. inviting her on a coffee.

bossel said:
Ich will/m?chte Sie treffen. Aber m?chten Sie mich treffen?

It depends on what you actually want to say, though. You wouldn't usually use the 2nd sentence as you did. Better versions (depending on context):

Wie w?r's (= Wie w?re es)?
Geht das?
H?tten Sie Interesse?
Interessiert?
Haben Sie Zeit?

If you met a girl you want to get to know better, another less direct approach would be advisable, eg. inviting her on a coffee.

I see. And if i'm going to make a conversation with the girl, I should use the familiar pronoun of "du" instead of formal pronoun "Sie"?

I have already climbed up to the intermediate. I once practiced my German with an Austrian on the internet.

Zauriel said:
I see. And if i'm going to make a conversation with the girl, I should use the familiar pronoun of "du" instead of formal pronoun "Sie"?
That also depends on context (& age), but usually that's alright. Du is the common approach up to the age of 30 (roughly).

Really? What I heard about it is that most of them come to New Mexico (hence the name), and a good amount of them also come to Texas, but Californa? That's news to me. Ok, it's not that far... but wouldn't they rather go to San Diego?

Ich lachele sehr... Ich könnte nichts dafür. :embarassed:

Lina Inverse... New Mexico, Texas, California und andere, waren mexikanische Bundestaaten bis 1848.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dieses Thema ist sehr interessant...

Die deutsche Sprache ist auch sehr interessant, von dem grammatische Gesichtspunkt. Der Predikat ist verteilt, und dies passiert nicht in Sprachen die aus Latein stammen.

Ist nicht deine Avatar von Azuka (Evangelion)?

Alle Achtung.

Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsch, weil ich in der Deutsche Schule gegangen war. Is that sentence correct? Or should it be "besuchen" instead of "gehen"? I'm trying to improve my German level, since I learned it in High School and I was pretty good at it. Something I could never understand is the use of accusative, dative, etc. it is so difficult! I don't know when to use der, den, dem. Is there an easy explanation? Like for dummies I mean

This thread has been viewed 62594 times.

Back