How much should MP's be paid ?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I've just come across an article from the BBC mentioning the huge differences in salaries between countries for their Members of the European Parliament, as each country pays their own MP's the same salary as their National Parliament Members.

Italians MP's get the highest salaries with almost 11.000 euro/month, while the 2nd highest is Austria with 7.500 euro/month. 6 Eastern European countries in comparison pay only around 1.000 euro/month to their European MP's. (see graph below).

There has been talks to give all MP's a flat salary of 8600 euro/month, but Germany refused as it was too high. I also think it is too high, as no country but Italy reaches such level so far. IMO, MP's should be paid aroud 5000 to 6000 euro/month. However, US Members of Congress currently earn 158.100 US$/year, that is a bit over 13.000US$/month.

salaries.gif

Wow, 11 thousand EUR for the Italian MP!!! :shock:
In my opinion, this salary could be acceptable, so in order as to have the MPs vote in legislature without being influenced by a particular lobby. MPs should have some kind of sufficent financial independce that will allow them to vote on legislature honestly, without considering their own personal benefits.
However, I do think that for some Italian MP's this is too much seeing as they are just underproductive querrelying old ladies. :blush: I could name a few, but I don't really want to elaborate on my political affiliation. :relief:
Anyways, I think that defenitly the ones who need a salary increase are the MPs in Eastern Europe, primarly due to the reason above, and also due that in this transition time, Eastern Europe has a high rate of corruption, sometimes due to low salaries, sometimes due to the new materialism that has rampaged accross from the begining of the 90's.

Duo said:
Anyways, I think that defenitly the ones who need a salary increase are the MPs in Eastern Europe, primarly due to the reason above, and also due that in this transition time, Eastern Europe has a high rate of corruption, sometimes due to low salaries, sometimes due to the new materialism that has rampaged accross from the begining of the 90's.

Yes, I can't believe they have to survive on 1000 euro/month in Brussels. I thought that some unemployed already got 500 euro of social security (which is already too little to pay for food and accommodation). :relief:

There should definitely be a uniformation of the salaries, but 6000 euro is probably enough. Belgian MP's get just a bit under that anyway, and it is probably adapted to the cost of life in Brussels. So paying the EU MP's just a bit more (even 7000 so as to equal the British and German salaries) would be just fine, IMO.

Maciamo said:
Yes, I can't believe they have to survive on 1000 euro/month in Brussels. I thought that some unemployed already got 500 euro of social security (which is already too little to pay for food and accommodation). :relief:

There should definitely be a uniformation of the salaries, but 6000 euro is probably enough. Belgian MP's get just a bit under that anyway, and it is probably adapted to the cost of life in Brussels. So paying the EU MP's just a bit more (even 7000 so as to equal the British and German salaries) would be just fine, IMO.

I think that amount here in Belgium for the unemployed used to be around the worth of 800-1000 $. I'm not sure though. Anyhow I do agree that they need a money increase seeing as how Brussels can be an expensive city at times. Also, they have to look presentable in the parliament as to not be inferior to the other European MP. And if they decide to go for a pita or doner by the Grande Place with fellow MPs? :p

At the current rate of exchange an American member of Congress receives 11,486 Euros a month. ($174,000) a year. About 10,000 too much in my opinion for what they accomplish. Apparently heard that the Italians were making more than them so they voted themselves a pay increase. :banghead:
I haven't had a pay increase in 3 years. :useless:

That's why we are in big mess on many fronts. You can't get the smartest MPs to run any country for this money.
I agree that crap politicians we are getting right now are not worth even the peanuts we pay them currently.
Even if we pay them one million euro each, that's probably one one-thousandth of countries budget. For well run country with thriving economy, it's money well spent.
I'm convinced that our political and government systems are ready for big revamping.

PS. Someone smart said some time ago that politics is like a sewer water served in a crystal glass.

This thread has been viewed 15983 times.

Back