Do men speak more about themselves than women ?

Do men talk more about themselves than women ?

• Yes, that's a fact !

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • Probably, but there isn't so much difference.

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 3 5.2%
  • No, it depends on other factors, such as personality

Votes: 34 58.6%
  • No way ! That's the opposite !

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
I remember this Socialogy class that I took in college and it was pretty interesting because it dealt with things like this.

I remember that we talked about this and one of the points that were made was

When Guys are playing with each other in younger years then they are usually competing with each other to be the best and prefer the mountain-like system But girls always treat each other as equals and prefer the plains-like system. Guys are always playing games like sports and toys, where there is a winner and loser but girls like to (I hate to use this but for lack of words) dress-up, cooking, tea-time, etc.

Now, this is not for everybody of course because it ultimately depends on your surroundings and enviroment but that was the explanation given. Sorry about the bad spelling..I know I mispelled a couple things there but I'm fixing a bowl of cereal for my daughter while typing. :D

I think that people have the overall impression that men talk more about themselves than women do because when a man is on date with a woman, he is naturally trying to impress her with his achievments, personality, humor, little vignettes or what have you. Maybe is just that men have a higher need to impress, or I dunno, I'm just guessing here :p

Duo said:
I think that people have the overall impression that men talk more about themselves than women do because when a man is on date with a woman, he is naturally trying to impress her with his achievments, personality, humor, little vignettes or what have you. Maybe is just that men have a higher need to impress, or I dunno, I'm just guessing here :p

I think you are right too because we men think that we have to impress instead of repress..LOL :p and most women say they just like men to be themselves but it works both ways.

Buddha Smoker said:
I think you are right too because we men think that we have to impress instead of repress..LOL :p and most women say they just like men to be themselves but it works both ways.

Yeah, well for me personally, being myself and trying to listen to the other person works out fine.

I think in general it seems that men say woman talk so much about eachother, but I think MEN do talk much more about them to impress Girls, other men...it's just a man thing :bluush: Everybody just likes attention I think :p I know some guys who like to talk about themselves it's not healthy anymore...always like : yeah I did this, and I went to that...and I kissed with that many girls....*rolls eyes* personally I don't like talking about myself...just like other peoples stories more :) But if it's something I like to spill...well then I just talk the whole time :blush: and there's no stopping me(except maybe alcohol...no wait...that makes it worse :souka: ) *you see I do sometimes keep ranting :bluush: *

Same as Rock said, i dont like talking about myself. I talk about other people, umm to answer the question. All the guys who i talked to on msn from jref talk alot more about women then them selves !!

:D

it's all very simple really... men are from earth, women are from some other damn place!

(note: i voted "it's all about personality") :relief:

depends on personality

I tend to avoid talking all together, unless there is something that needs to be said.

i think some guys really do go over the top with "i'm...." but I think women do just the same thing. But they, as a race, have a little code stating that their in-group "arrogant talk" should never be spread to the male side. :D :D :D
But if you want arrogant women, please, come to England. I don't know whether it's just me and my friends but English woman can talk about themselves until rosy fingured dawn shows up.
oh and Russian women and great when it comes to the arrogance thing too. :(

Men do talk a lot about things that involve them, but not necessary about themsekf,

Women are a way for men to let go some steam, not necessary necessary, but life would be dull for men without women. That's why hostess bars are quite a success. ;)

Men aren't really that much talktative, unless they got something in their mind that they really want to let loose. I don't think that men really talk much about themself, but maybe more about the things that involved them (their cars, their women, their jobs, their toys, and so on).

Now do men talk more about themself than women? No, but they do talk a lot about other things.

Women probably like to talk a lot about things that involved social things, including themself.

As for arrogant and selfish.

These are basic human natures that every human had, but not necessary bad things provided they are well executed.

it depends on personality, but I usually tend to think its quite the opposite...women are usually more open about things and more likely to admit to things, although that's not always the case...men can also be that way, but most of the time it seems like its harder to get them to talk about themselves..

I can never quite relate to these kinds of generalisations, as I'm usually on the 'male' side of things. I am much more logical than emotional, I like non-fiction books and sci-fi films, I play video games, I like discussing intellectual stuff and I have no interest in the things women are supposed like, such as romance, soap operas, hairstyles and shopping. I like to be complimented on my knowledge, and the best way to comfort me when I'm upset is to point out that I am being illogical. I suspect that many of the girls out there are not typically girly, as internet forums are not a typically girly domain.

I have voted : "Probably not so much difference." However, I should perhaps have voted for: "depends on personality" or more: "depends on personality, but overall men are good at talking about themselves"

If I take all the people I know who has a great self-confidence and accomplishments, I must admit the males are very good at talking about themselves.
I think fewer females do this, except if they are really proud of what they do and what they have accomplished. - And we listen.

I like to talk about myself too, but compared to my boyfriend - he is much more of a talker!!!:D

E.g. when a female and a male looks at the same job ad, and there are a few points which they don't have the qualifications for, the female might think it over whether she wants to send in an application, while the male does it because he thinks: "I sure can handle this." Of course it depends on personality and self-confidence too, but I think more males are willing to take the chance and tell them how great they are and they should be offered the job.

I have interviewed people during job interviews, lately it was last week, and I must admit the guys were much more of a talker regarding talking about how gifted and a great asset they would be, while the women talked about specific things...We ended up hiring a women though, based on her personality, qualifications and her way of handling problems. :blush:

Duo said:

I think there is a cultural difference here. Chinese men are not very talkative, I find Chinese women talk more than Chinese men.

My husband talks a lot so much that for my mother she thinks it's unnatural she once made a comment to me in Chinese that" Why is he always talking, like a women?":D

RockLee said:
I think in general it seems that men say woman talk so much about eachother, but I think MEN do talk much more about them to impress Girls, other men...it's just a man thing :bluush: Everybody just likes attention I think :p I know some guys who like to talk about themselves it's not healthy anymore...always like : yeah I did this, and I went to that...and I kissed with that many girls....*rolls eyes* personally I don't like talking about myself...just like other peoples stories more :) But if it's something I like to spill...well then I just talk the whole time :blush: and there's no stopping me(except maybe alcohol...no wait...that makes it worse :souka: ) *you see I do sometimes keep ranting :bluush: *

Men like to tell other men their sex experiences or how many women they had or been approached by, I know my husband's friends do that they share these kinds of things, they also share experiences of whether they had tried something and give advice among each other. My husband says all the men he knows do that.

Women do tell who we date but we don't go into details, that part is private. (At least in my culture it's like this, maybe it's different in other's culture). As for other things about myself, it depends on the situation and how long I know the person and how well I feel towards the person, I tell more to people I feel close to, usually the ones who give me a good impression. I also tell more in message boards; in real life I am very quiet, and very shy.:bluush:

No, it depends on other factors, such as personality--I agree with this answer.

I don't think that men talk more about themselves than women, if women met in a group they start praising themselves...

This thread has been viewed 35308 times.

Back