Is McDonald's evil?

McDonalds destroying rain forest and contribute to global warming

bossel said:
Don't see, why McD is evil. If it weren't for the high prices I would devour a McRib once in a while (if they are still on offer, that is, haven't been to McDonald's for ages).

you might want to have a look at this:

* McDonald's promote their food as 'nutritious', but the reality is that it is junk food - high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and vitamins. A diet of this type is linked with a greater risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other diseases. Their food also contains many chemical additives, some of which may cause ill-health, and hyperactivity in children. Don't forget too that meat is the cause of the majority of food poisoning incidents.

* Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald's do not pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours. Pressure to keep profits high and wage costs low results in understaffing, so staff have to work harder and faster. As a consequence, accidents (particularly burns) are common. The majority of employees are people who have few job options and so are forced to accept this exploitation, and they're compelled to 'smile' too! Not surprisingly staff turnover at McDonald's is high, making it virtually impossible to unionise and fight for a better deal, which suits McDonald's who have always been opposed to Unions.

* Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West. This is at the expense of local food needs. McDonald's continually promote meat products, encouraging people to eat meat more often, which wastes more and more food resources. 7 million tons of grain fed to livestock produces only 1 million tons of meat and by-products. On a plant-based diet and with land shared fairly, almost every region could be self-sufficient in food.

* Forests throughout the world - vital for all life - are being destroyed at an appalling rate by multinational companies. McDonald's have at last been forced to admit to using beef reared on ex-rainforest land, preventing its regeneration. Also, the use of farmland by multinationals and their suppliers forces local people to move on to other areas and cut down further trees.

* McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use of chemicals which are damaging to the environment.

* Every year McDonald's use thousands of tons of unnecessary packaging, most of which ends up littering our streets or polluting the land buried in landfill sites.

* Children are lured in (dragging their parents behind them) with the promise of toys and other gimmicks.

* Instead of everyone sharing the world's resources for the benefit of all, multinationals like McDonald's just want to use these resources to make profits for themselves.

* Thanks to Globalization McDonalds has thousands upon thousands of establishment?s worldwide. 6 out of the 7 continents have McDonalds.

* They use a lot of packaging that is cooled down using chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which can actually damage the Ozone layer .

and here's the famous court case:
http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/index.html

dadako said:

1 McDonald's promote their food as 'nutritious', but the reality is that it is junk food - high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and vitamins.

2 Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald's do not pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours.

3 Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West.

4 McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use of chemicals which are damaging to the environment.

5 Thanks to Globalization McDonalds has thousands upon thousands of establishment?s worldwide. 6 out of the 7 continents have McDonalds.

6 They use a lot of packaging that is cooled down using chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which can actually damage the Ozone layer.

I dont have any gripes with McDonalds, noone is making you go out and eat it.
1. There is nothing wrong with eating mcd in a normal diet. Of course going off and eating only mcd is going to mess you up, how about you go and only eat fruit for a while! And when will people understand that fats are not what make you fat, nor are they completly bad for you.

2. No problems from my friends who work at McDonalds, I'm looking at working there because im unable to get work elsewhere. 19, uni student, 4 years experience in the IT field, willing to do anything and nothing, so I'll work at maccas, i personally dont care. Work is work.

3. Here in australia the beef used is raised here, thus mcd is providing for 100's of farmers. Also japanese mcdonalds uses aussiebeef.

4. I dont get the point here... how about we just stop raising cows and eating beef and become vegetarians!

5. again... Doesn't that make it a very very sucessful business?

6. CFC's harm the environment if released into the atmosphere. The use of CFC are for refridgeration and aerosol cans is prohibited. If they are not releasing cfcs (which would be the case or else they wouldnt be using them, period) then i dont see the problem here either. Would you prefer they use a method that uses more resources and energy?

canadian_kor said:
Why would you eat that stuff? I live in Canada and we have McDonalds everywhere, but I try to avoid the "restaurants" like the plague.
You're doing good there, you save the costs for the paramedic this way!
Why anyone would want to eat this toxic waste and even pay for it is completely beyond me :sick:
They should rather be named McDevil :D :D

dadako said:
Ewok has replied very well, I think.

Part of this is probably true, but would that make McD evil? Don't think so. It's a business like any other.

Yes, I agree It's the people that are stupid and ignorant who don't watch their health. McDonald's is merely just watching their money flow in from those kind of people, yet, at the same time, trying to decrease those advertisements of McDonalds being the cause of obesity.

dadako said:
* Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West. This is at the expense of local food needs. McDonald's continually promote meat products, encouraging people to eat meat more often, which wastes more and more food resources. 7 million tons of grain fed to livestock produces only 1 million tons of meat and by-products. On a plant-based diet and with land shared fairly, almost every region could be self-sufficient in food.

* Forests throughout the world - vital for all life - are being destroyed at an appalling rate by multinational companies. McDonald's have at last been forced to admit to using beef reared on ex-rainforest land, preventing its regeneration. Also, the use of farmland by multinationals and their suppliers forces local people to move on to other areas and cut down further trees.

* McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use of chemicals which are damaging to the environment.

Come on, everyone knows that McDonald's doesn't serve meat! I don't know what the hell it is, though.

Anyway, I'm guessing that you're veagan, and have taken ethics courses. Am I close?

Who was it that said....

"It's perfectly OK to eat beef, but the cow you're eating shouldn't have. "

it was something like that....... :p

dadako said:

* Every year McDonald's use thousands of tons of unnecessary packaging, most of which ends up littering our streets or polluting the land buried in landfill sites.

* Children are lured in (dragging their parents behind them) with the promise of toys and other gimmicks.
I can't stand how much packaging they use either, and I find it on the street so often.

At a daycare I used to work, the parents had been asked to bring lunches for the children for a week due to a kitchen construction; unfortunately, some of the kids ate breakfast & lunch from McDonald's for a week!!! One of the parents told us that her child wouldn't come to the daycare unless they stop at McDonald's every morning...

Last time when I had McDonald's was almost 3 yrs ago just because I had a terrible hang over, I wanted to eat something quick and greasy.

Ewok85 said:
Would you prefer they use a method that uses more resources and energy?

no, I would prefer that goverments stopped "successful businesses" from ******* up our planet for greed. McDonalds is a Prime example.

I'm not vegi... how could anyone be? there's lots of tasty meat in this world, I recon I'd starve in japan if I were.

greed is evil, as it makes it harder for the rest of us to live. Unfortunatly we are still shoveling money into thier pockets to pay for the addictive combination of salt and sugar laced burgers, which are also making most nations into countries of walking heart attacks. Which costs the health service a lot of money, which we pay in tax.

dadako said:
I'm not vegi... how could anyone be? there's lots of tasty meat in this world, I recon I'd starve in japan if I were.

So I was wrong. I was wondering because of the point that you made about using all of the grazing land to plant crops and feed people, and how it would be more efficient than raising cattle for slaughter. I have actually heard that argument before as a reason to be veagan.

The point about the vast amounts of grazing land needed to support these cattle is a valid one. In addition to the simple inefficiency of it as a food source when compared to grain it has numerous serious environmental consequences. For one thing huge tracts of dense forest are being slashed and burned to create these pastures, which has an effect on the atmosphere's carbon cycle and contributes to global climate change. Then, after the land has been converted animals come along and eat all the remaining plant cover. So when it rains, all the best soil gets washed away bit by bit so that within a few years the land is completely useless, more or less just a dessert where nothing can grow. So the farmers have to move on and cut down another bit of forest and the cycle continues. This is a big problem in some parts of the world.

Obviously you can't single out McDonald's as being to blame for all of this, though it does play a role in it. Some of the meat used in McDonald's burgers comes from South America, where dessertification and deforestation are serious problems.

here in Australia they've started handing out leaflets with every meal and putting adds on tv saying how all these things in supersize me are wrong its actually quite fuuny what maccas are saying

mc donalds advertising is usually very good and sometimes clever.

Music videos and advertising still remain the best forms of media creativity and innovation - money for false information or dis-information is what advertising thrives on, its very transparent if you filter out thier bullshit.

I cant understand how people can be anti-McDonald's. As ewok said, no one is forcing you to eat it.

I dont buy music i dont like.... because i dont like it lol... problem solved.
Same with mushrooms, I dont like mushrooms but im not anti-mushrooms.

Neways... just dont eat it o_O

bon apetite ;)

Adam_K said:
I cant understand how people can be anti-McDonald's. As ewok said, no one is forcing you to eat it.

bon apetite ;)

It is just easy to pick on McDonalds because it is a multinational corporation, and have used some pretty shady business tactics. But I am with you, if you don't like it, don't eat it. I don't eat it myself, because every time I do get it, it is usually horrible. I will eat Burger King with no problem, they usually seem to be ok.

I really hate when people try to blame McDonalds for their weight problems. To the best of my knowledge, McDonalds has never really claimed that a Big Mac is good for you, but people feel the need to file lawsuits anyway, saying McDonalds is making them or their kids fat.

That being said, I would like to check out the movie "Super Size Me.

Adam_K said:

bon apetite ;)

I don't buy cars but one could still drive into you
I don't buy guns but someone could still shoot you with one
I don't like macdonalds but they are still ruining the planet which we all live on.

huge money grabbing corporations should be limited by law to conserve resources and help people, not treat ecology like a bin bag and trick people into eating crap

Its hard to see what maconalds are doing wrong on the surface, and thats as far as most people care to get. Yet dig a little deeper and you'll find that buying thier shit or not, they are still messing it up for all of us.

dadako said:
huge money grabbing corporations should be limited by law to conserve resources and help people, not treat ecology like a bin bag and trick people into eating crap

Its hard to see what maconalds are doing wrong on the surface, and thats as far as most people care to get. Yet dig a little deeper and you'll find that buying thier shit or not, they are still messing it up for all of us.
Well, isn't it more like we all are messing things up? It's pretty easy to blame others. But most of us are using too much water, driving too often with our cars, wasting energy by not turning the TV off when we don't watch, a.s.o.

The additional damage done by McDonald's is probably rather small. Mind you, if you don't eat at McD's you still have to eat. & what you eat has to be produced by somebody.

dadako said:
I don't buy cars but one could still drive into you
I don't buy guns but someone could still shoot you with one
I don't like macdonalds but they are still ruining the planet which we all live on.

Well it seems you have e problem with the company rather than the items they produce. If you could be a bit more specific about why mcdonalds are doing wrong that would be great. I bet there are clothes that you wear as we speak that are even more "filthy" than a cheeseburger. :eek:kashii:

And as bossel said, we do alot of things we shouldnt do too, but thats not an issue for us. Why? I honestly dont know, maybe because we are too egoistic.

Thats only my opinion though.

This thread has been viewed 38996 times.

Back