Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is McDonald's evil?

Thrill Seeker

Ethnic group
    Korean Canadian

Why would you eat that stuff? I live in Canada and we have McDonalds everywhere, but I try to avoid the "restaurants" like the plague.

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Jeez, guys, let the man eat what he wants. He isn't forcing you to eat it.

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn
    Jeez, guys, let the man eat what he wants. He isn't forcing you to eat it.

No kidding, Glenn.

I am not a big fan of McDonald's either, but I do have to admit that some McDonald's fries are good every now and then when I have a junk food craving.
    You have bewitched me, body and soul...

マクドナルドはだめです!!!!

Ethnic group
    Cornish

Quote Originally Posted by Mandylion
    Stick to the original topic (pricing) or start your own thread on the pros and cons of McD's. Thanks.
    no, mc donalds is evil.

the prices in japan are different.

so what? its the same s*** all around the world, just some people are comfortable with being ripped off more than others.

I'm really anti mc donalds and all they stand for, so I'll shut up now before I explode.
    Last edited by Mandylion; 23-06-04 at 02:40. Reason: language, language, language

THE CRAZY OLD GUY !! Frank D. White's Avatar

Ethnic group
    German/French/Scottish

Humm, Just Here??

I was wondering, here in Maine, every summer they offer a lobster roll for under $5.00 US. Now Maine is a lobster state so I can see having the roll. How about where you live, do they have it? If so , how much do they charge? I have to admit, I've been hooked on their fries
    for over 30 years!

Frank

TAKE WHAT I SAY WITH A GRAIN OF SUGAR !!

I USED TO BE FUNNY, BUT MY WIFE HAD ME NEUTERED!

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Last time I was in McDonald's there was no lobster roll (or crawfish roll, for that matter), but I don't remeber when that was really. I know that it was a while ago, though.

BTW, are you saying that there is sushi in McDonald's in Maine?

Ethnic group
    Asian, baby!

I went to eat at McDonalds on Sunday... the fries package got smaller! Like 2/3rd the original size! Ripoff!
    Is Hawaii the only place with Spam and Eggs at MickeyDs for breakfast?
    K1 -- *is in the unofficial made-up Frank Club*

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Wow, it looks as though McDonald's has done some regional specilizing. I had no idea; CrAzY!

Where I'm Supposed to Be kirei_na_me's Avatar

Ethnic group
    caucasian(Swiss/English/Native American)

We don't get any kind of interesting specialty like that. McRib is as interesting as it gets here...

Ethnic group
    Caucasian (Irish and Czechoslovakian)

Apparently マクドナルド is planning to stop offering its super-sized fries and drinks.

I heard something about it on the news, maybe on C-SPAN, so I looked it up on the web and found the following link:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/content/usa..._03022004.html

Regards,

Dan

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Yeah, I had heard that, too. Except I heard that it was a ploy to keep people from eating so much. I say that if they'll pay for it, give it to 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by dadako
    no, mc donalds is evil.

the prices in japan are different.
    Actually, the different prices are used for comparing purchasing power parity, it's called the Big Mac Index.
    According to that index the Japanese Yen is under-evaluated by 20% against the Dollar.

Don't see, why McD is evil. If it weren't for the high prices I would devour a McRib once in a while (if they are still on offer, that is, haven't been to McDonald's for ages).

Ethnic group

I tend to agree, Glenn. I'm generally a Libertarian at heart.

We reap what we sow, ね?

Dan

Ethnic group
    caucasoid

Haha, I think that you're having too much fun with the Japanese input there, Dan.

Ethnic group

I was just thinking the same thing...

I often get a bit carried away. Sorry! LOL!

Dan

Talking Don't fight the low carb tide, ride on it!

When I was a kid, I loved McDonald. And now I still go to McDonald once or twice a week, but I think it tastes better in Hong Kong for some reason.

For me, McDonald's breakfast menu is pretty good. Big breakfast deluxe, sausage egg muffin and harsh brown. Give me a lot of energy.

Another reason I like McDonald because I love innovative people. By changing their menu (adding low carbs diet like garden salad with canberry dressing and low carb coke C2), they managed to put back the gold into their arches. A job well done!

And now they are planning to turn the chain into a family entertainment centre by adding video rentals in the restaurant. Blockbuster + McDonald? Pretty convenient! And there goes another happy (and economic) Sunday night for an American family.

After all, change is the only constant in a business battlefield!
    Last edited by Jean-Francois; 23-06-04 at 05:53. Reason: Have nothing better to do.

Ethnic group
    Human

Personally I prefer a nice Portuguese restaurant, but when I am short of time or money, McDs is the way to go, because it's cheap and since it is fast food, well... its fast.

One good thing that came out of all of this fast food places is that the typical restaurants had to adapt themselves to the new times and the new competition, so places like McDs helped to stimulate and inovated the market.

And if you don't like fast food, then don't eat it. On these days I'm not sure that people who use words like "Evil" are amusing or just plain scary.
    Ln.

I dislike McDonald's for many reasons, but the biggest one is that despite all their hype the food they offer is about the worst value for your money available.

In Canada you can buy one of their set meals for about 4-6 dollars (or you could last time I was in Canada, might have gone up since then). For that you get one of their absolutely awful sandwiches or burgers, a little package of fries (which, by fast food standards are admittedly better than most) and a soda. But if you go to any half decent regular restaurant or pub you can get a big, fresh juicy burger and a big serving of REAL french fries (as opposed to the fast food variety) for about 6-10 dollars, which isn't that much more than a McDonald's meal. For that, you get about twice as much actual food (prepared by real cooks instead of acne covered 15 year old 'trainees'), you get the food served at your table and (in most establishments) you can enjoy an atmosphere much nicer than the flourescent lights and plastic furniture at McDonald's. The costs of tips and drinks might push the total a little higher, but its still a much better deal. For my budget, it is WAAAAAYYY preferable to eat out at a decent restaurant 4 times a month than to eat bottom-quality McDonald's garbage 6 times a month.

Ethnic group
    Albanian

All fast-food places are no good. Firstly, because their food isn't very healthy, and secondly, they have so many flavor additives, that they can fool your tounge in many ways. Those damn flavorist scientists!! Anyways, I rather eat a pitta or duner( almost turkish equivalent) rather than going to a fast food place, and the price is about the same.

Ethnic group
    Cornish

McDonalds destroying rain forest and contribute to global warming

Quote Originally Posted by bossel

Don't see, why McD is evil. If it weren't for the high prices I would devour a McRib once in a while (if they are still on offer, that is, haven't been to McDonald's for ages).
    you might want to have a look at this:

* McDonald's promote their food as 'nutritious', but the reality is that it is junk food - high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and vitamins. A diet of this type is linked with a greater risk of heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other diseases. Their food also contains many chemical additives, some of which may cause ill-health, and hyperactivity in children. Don't forget too that meat is the cause of the majority of food poisoning incidents.

* Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald's do not pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours. Pressure to keep profits high and wage costs low results in understaffing, so staff have to work harder and faster. As a consequence, accidents (particularly burns) are common. The majority of employees are people who have few job options and so are forced to accept this exploitation, and they're compelled to 'smile' too! Not surprisingly staff turnover at McDonald's is high, making it virtually impossible to unionise and fight for a better deal, which suits McDonald's who have always been opposed to Unions.

* Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West. This is at the expense of local food needs. McDonald's continually promote meat products, encouraging people to eat meat more often, which wastes more and more food resources. 7 million tons of grain fed to livestock produces only 1 million tons of meat and by-products. On a plant-based diet and with land shared fairly, almost every region could be self-sufficient in food.

* Forests throughout the world - vital for all life - are being destroyed at an appalling rate by multinational companies. McDonald's have at last been forced to admit to using beef reared on ex-rainforest land, preventing its regeneration. Also, the use of farmland by multinationals and their suppliers forces local people to move on to other areas and cut down further trees.

* McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use of chemicals which are damaging to the environment.

* Every year McDonald's use thousands of tons of unnecessary packaging, most of which ends up littering our streets or polluting the land buried in landfill sites.

* Children are lured in (dragging their parents behind them) with the promise of toys and other gimmicks.

* Instead of everyone sharing the world's resources for the benefit of all, multinationals like McDonald's just want to use these resources to make profits for themselves.

* Thanks to Globalization McDonalds has thousands upon thousands of establishment痴 worldwide. 6 out of the 7 continents have McDonalds.

* They use a lot of packaging that is cooled down using chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which can actually damage the Ozone layer .

and here's the famous court case:
    http://www.mcspotlight.org/case/index.html

1 McDonald's promote their food as 'nutritious', but the reality is that it is junk food - high in fat, sugar and salt, and low in fibre and vitamins.

2 Workers in the fast food industry are paid low wages. McDonald's do not pay overtime rates even when employees work very long hours.

3 Vast areas of land in poor countries are used for cash crops or for cattle ranching, or to grow grain to feed animals to be eaten in the West.

4 McDonald's are the world's largest user of beef. Methane emitted by cattle reared for the beef industry is a major contributor to the 'global warming' crisis. Modern intensive agriculture is based on the heavy use of chemicals which are damaging to the environment.

5 Thanks to Globalization McDonalds has thousands upon thousands of establishment痴 worldwide. 6 out of the 7 continents have McDonalds.

6 They use a lot of packaging that is cooled down using chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), which can actually damage the Ozone layer.
    I dont have any gripes with McDonalds, noone is making you go out and eat it.
    1. There is nothing wrong with eating mcd in a normal diet. Of course going off and eating only mcd is going to mess you up, how about you go and only eat fruit for a while! And when will people understand that fats are not what make you fat, nor are they completly bad for you.

2. No problems from my friends who work at McDonalds, I'm looking at working there because im unable to get work elsewhere. 19, uni student, 4 years experience in the IT field, willing to do anything and nothing, so I'll work at maccas, i personally dont care. Work is work.

3. Here in australia the beef used is raised here, thus mcd is providing for 100's of farmers. Also japanese mcdonalds uses aussiebeef.

4. I dont get the point here... how about we just stop raising cows and eating beef and become vegetarians!

5. again... Doesn't that make it a very very sucessful business?

6. CFC's harm the environment if released into the atmosphere. The use of CFC are for refridgeration and aerosol cans is prohibited. If they are not releasing cfcs (which would be the case or else they wouldnt be using them, period) then i dont see the problem here either. Would you prefer they use a method that uses more resources and energy?

Ethnic group
    Caucasian

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_kor
    Why would you eat that stuff? I live in Canada and we have McDonalds everywhere, but I try to avoid the "restaurants" like the plague.
    You're doing good there, you save the costs for the paramedic this way!
    Why anyone would want to eat this toxic waste and even pay for it is completely beyond me
    They should rather be named McDevil

Ewok has replied very well, I think.

Part of this is probably true, but would that make McD evil? Don't think so. It's a business like any other.

Ethnic group
    Asian, baby!

Yes, I agree It's the people that are stupid and ignorant who don't watch their health. McDonald's is merely just watching their money flow in from those kind of people, yet, at the same time, trying to decrease those advertisements of McDonalds being the cause of obesity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast