Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 86

Thread: Life on other planets?

  1. #26
    I jump to conclusions Achievements:
    1 year registered
    mad pierrot's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-11-03
    Location
    The world via Chi-town
    Age
    38
    Posts
    337


    Country: Japan



    Quote time!



    "The best proof that there is intelligent life on other planets is that they haven't tried to contact us."

    -Or something like that. (It's from an old Calvin and Hobbes.)

  2. #27
    Manga Psychic Achievements:
    1 year registered
    PaulTB's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-01-04
    Posts
    79


    Country: United_Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot
    "The best proof that there is intelligent life on other planets is that they haven't tried to contact us."
    IMO it is unreasonable that there be exactly one intelligent, technological, lifeform in a universe the size of this one.

    It is also not very likely for there to be a long established technological lifeform other than us in this galaxy which isn't readily noticable.

    My conclusion is that the chance of intelligent, technological, life existing in any particular galaxy is probably << 1.

    That's not the only possible conclusion of course but I think it makes the most sense.

  3. #28
    Finally Enlighted One Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Buddha Smoker's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-12-03
    Posts
    78


    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by mad pierrot
    "The best proof that there is intelligent life on other planets is that they haven't tried to contact us."

    -Or something like that. (It's from an old Calvin and Hobbes.)
    If Calvin and Hobbes said it then I believe it..they know alot. Seriously.

  4. #29
    ZZzzzzz... Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Knives's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-04
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10


    Ethnic group
    British
    Country: United_States



    to support life a planet needs the right stuff to spark life like water, an atmospere, ect.
    we got lucky cause our solar system is very calm and quiet and earth is just warm enough to spark life. THere our other solar systems that astronomers have discovered but are very violent and cant support life. what i feel is if there is intelligent life that its so far away that each of us can contact one another
    Jupiters moon uropa might have a liquid ocean beneath the surface because jupiters gravity and the other moons grav. is pulling both ways on the moon (kinda like kneading dough) and it heats up the moon. Scientists belive that its just warm enough to melt ice. Hopefully there might be a whole underwater life forms living there but i guess we wont know for a few decades

  5. #30
    <censored> Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Foxtrot Uniform's Avatar
    Join Date
    30-05-04
    Location
    Kobe, Japan
    Posts
    48


    Ethnic group
    Descendant of Homo Habilis
    Country: Japan



    Quote Originally Posted by Knives
    Jupiters moon uropa might have a liquid ocean beneath the surface because jupiters gravity and the other moons grav. is pulling both ways on the moon (kinda like kneading dough) and it heats up the moon. Scientists belive that its just warm enough to melt ice. Hopefully there might be a whole underwater life forms living there but i guess we wont know for a few decades
    Actually, I think NASA has a plan to send a probe to Europa sometime soon which will deploy drills that will drill through Europa's ice layer that covers its subterrainean oceans, and then the drills will become little submarines that will search for life. Though the best the most intelligent form of life they might find be a very primitive fish. If we are lucky...

    As for intelligent life elsewhere, I also think there is intelligent life in our galaxy because of its immense size too. We inhabit the very edge of our Milky Way Galaxy, and there is so much out there its unbelievable.

  6. #31
    .:Nana korobi, ya oki:. Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Arekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-12-03
    Location
    NewYork
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9


    Ethnic group
    White/South Korean
    Country: United_States



    They will be sending a machine to scan Europa by 2008.
    They wanna see if there is water under the ice.
    The problem is if there is is sending humans in ships.
    The thing is it is giving off a crap load of radiation which(and I quote from a show on the science channel I saw last night)"Will kill a human in the means of 10 min."

    The other thing i'd like to add is yes many planets may not be able to support life like on earth, but what says there isn't a life form that adapted to the type of area that is on these planets. Just because it can't support our life doesn't mean it can't support some other life form. Don't let that slip your mind.

  7. #32
    ZZzzzzz... Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Knives's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-07-04
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10


    Ethnic group
    British
    Country: United_States



    you saw that last night too lol :P

    you say that too last night but ya the probe will only have 30 days to get its 2 missions done then it will become a victim of radiation

  8. #33
    .:Nana korobi, ya oki:. Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Arekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-12-03
    Location
    NewYork
    Age
    32
    Posts
    9


    Ethnic group
    White/South Korean
    Country: United_States



    Not even that is what they are worried about.
    The whole breaking into the ice and going to the water(if there is any) is a big concern as well because they stated they wanna find a way to search for new life without disturbing anything.

    And yeah you can tell I watch to much of this stuff.*lol*

  9. #34
    Banned Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Bounty Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-05-04
    Posts
    37


    Country: United_Kingdom



    Cross platform I like your pic (Dr Zoidberg)

    Now down to the question, yes i do believe that we can live on other planets (But not at this time).
    I was watching a program one time which was yapping on about Mars and we as humans could live their in the future.
    How we do (what they said was) to build reactors that triggers (on earth the green house effect) but on mars they say it would have the opposite effect and create life.
    Very interesting you agree?

    p.s Now we just got to get their, which would take aleast 10 years

  10. #35
    Hentai Koutaishi Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Lina Inverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    29-04-04
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    198


    Ethnic group
    Caucasian
    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Arekkusu
    The other thing i'd like to add is yes many planets may not be able to support life like on earth, but what says there isn't a life form that adapted to the type of area that is on these planets. Just because it can't support our life doesn't mean it can't support some other life form. Don't let that slip your mind.
    I fully agree there! There are bacteria who have adopted to living in hot springs (100C and more). Life can adapt to extraordinary conditions very quick. Also, while all our life forms are carbon-based, it could also be possible that life forms exist which are based on other elements, like e.g. silicone (which is very close in its properties).

  11. #36
    The Hairy Wookie Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Mycernius's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-02-05
    Location
    Hometown of George Eliot
    Age
    49
    Posts
    916
    Points
    21,649
    Level
    44
    Points: 21,649, Level: 44
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 1
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    English
    Country: UK - England



    I know it is abit of an old thread, but I feel I must post. I do beleive there is life beyond our own solar system. How advanced it is or whether it is intelligent, we cannot say. There are over 500 000 million stars in our galaxy alone and our galaxy is one of millions within the universe. To say ours is the only one is a little conceited IMHO. We also think as life must exist in our norms for life, an oxygen/nitrogen atmosphere, when life could evolve in another type of environment. Just because our level of genetics and understanding of life is not that advanced it doesn't means that it cannot exist.
    As for contact with life beyond our solar sytem. Think of the following; we have been beaming radio signals out into space for about 100 years. If there is life within 100 light years it must been at a stage when they could hear our radio signals. It would then depend on whether they would think about answering. would you answer a random radio signal? If they did answer they would then have to send it back to us. Even at the speed of light it would take years. Maybe we have been detected and answered, it just the fact we haven't recieved the answer yet.

  12. #37
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Void's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-03-05
    Location
    Russian Federation
    Age
    42
    Posts
    231


    Ethnic group
    Russian
    Country: Russian Federation



    there can be another option - we just didn`t understand that we were answered
    ... and i always will...

  13. #38
    Chukchi Salmon Achievements:
    1 year registered

    Join Date
    22-12-04
    Location
    Sunny South Korea
    Posts
    642


    Ethnic group
    Paleo-Asian
    Country: South Korea



    My one concern is; at a 100 ly's distance, would the radio signal that is at the amplitude 1/10,000th of the amplitude at 1 ly's distance be meaningful enough to be 1) detected 2) decoded ?
    What about the possiblity of a weak signal becoming indistinquishable with background noise ? Wouldn't it be like shouting into the Atlantic from Land's End and trying to pick it up with a high-end receiver at Tokyo Bay ?

    Another concern is reflection. Short wave radio signals were chosen to reflect back down to earth's surface; not much escaping into outer space ?

  14. #39
    smurf
    Guest


    I personally don't believen life on other planets. The whole idea is just to unbelievable for me.

  15. #40
    DON'T PANIC! Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Tsuyoiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-05
    Posts
    979


    Country: United Kingdom



    Maybe real life is like Star Trek - the aliens are out there and waiting for us to be advanced enough to be worth talking to.

  16. #41
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,710
    Points
    702,692
    Level
    100
    Points: 702,692, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    That's it, we have found another planet like Earth. Apparently it is slightly bigger than Earth with temperatures averaging 0 to 40'C (as opposed to -60'C to +60'C on Earth).
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  17. #42
    Horizon Rider Achievements:
    1 year registered
    Kinsao's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-05-05
    Location
    England
    Age
    40
    Posts
    592


    Country: United Kingdom



    It's exciting!
    Of course, there may be no life on the planet, but still... it's still a way interesting discovery. :)

  18. #43
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    12-05-09
    Posts
    16
    Points
    6,840
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,840, Level: 24
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 210
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Estonia



    Yes, it's very intresting.

  19. #44
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered
    Taharqa's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-01-12
    Posts
    31


    Country: USA - Kentucky



    Any logical person cannot possibly fathom the thought that Earth is the only inhabitable planet on Earth. With that said their HAS to be other signs of life out there.

  20. #45
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    08-02-12
    Posts
    14

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    IDK, What to know!
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yup what to knowalso

    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    What about Nibiru?

  21. #46
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    PaschalisB's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-01-12
    Location
    Athens
    Posts
    123
    Points
    9,589
    Level
    29
    Points: 9,589, Level: 29
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 9.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-CTS9320
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a1b

    Ethnic group
    Greek
    Country: Greece



    Quote Originally Posted by PonosBosne View Post
    What about Nibiru?
    What does pseudoscience have to do with life on other planets?

  22. #47
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points

    Join Date
    08-02-12
    Posts
    14

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    IDK, What to know!
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Yup what to knowalso

    Country: Bosnia & Herzegovina



    Quote Originally Posted by PaschalisB View Post
    What does pseudoscience have to do with life on other planets?
    Well for one there is shit load of evidence that shows these other people from this planet came down here and blah blah. I'm sure you heard rest of the story. Also how can it lack evidence when evidence has clearly been found. So "Nibiru" has a lot to do with this thread life on other planets don't you think so smart one? ;) ha

  23. #48
    Junior Member Achievements:
    1 year registered500 Experience Points

    Join Date
    16-06-12
    Posts
    9
    Points
    856
    Level
    7
    Points: 856, Level: 7
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Netherlands



    I don't think so. Because we exist, it isn't a reason something like us in any form would exist elsewhere.
    Last edited by James; 21-06-12 at 20:22. Reason: spelling

  24. #49
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    14-12-10
    Posts
    1,603
    Points
    22,749
    Level
    46
    Points: 22,749, Level: 46
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 801
    Overall activity: 9.0%


    Country: Serbia



    New discovery:

    Scientists have confirmed that much of the water on earth is older than the sun — which could indicate the existence of life on other worlds.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-9760751.html

  25. #50
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
    New discovery:

    Scientists have confirmed that much of the water on earth is older than the sun — which could indicate the existence of life on other worlds.

    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...s-9760751.html
    All the elements (oxygen and water included) heavier than Helium and Lithium in our solar system were created during explosion of a massive star, the supernova. After this explosion (a billion years or two later) this huge cloud of gas and new elements coalesced into our solar system, and few others, our neighbors. When most of it collapsed into a big ball of matter, under its own gravity, it ignited nuclear fusion and our Sun was created. Rest of matter, which did not collapse into our Sun made the rest of planets with water on them. That's why our Sun is a billion years younger than all the elements on planets. The hydrogen and helium in our sun is old as universe, but life of our Sun counts from first ignition.

    It doesn't mean that our water was on other planets in other solar systems before coming to Earth. After explosion of Multanova water was flying through space for millions of years till it found earth and landed on it. Probably in shape of comets, the big snowballs in space. We don't have them too many now, but at the beginning of our system, there could have been billions of them, bombarding young Earth every minute.
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a life outside Paris ?
    By Maciamo in forum France
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 24-09-11, 02:28
  2. Life on Mars ?
    By Maciamo in forum Nature & Environment
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-08-10, 17:04
  3. End of Life
    By No-name in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-02-06, 20:40
  4. What is life?
    By Mycernius in forum Philosophy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-04-05, 21:29
  5. Intro to Bollywood and extrasolar planets
    By den4 in forum World News
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13-02-05, 02:42

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •