Nature Belgium becomes first in EU to recognise ecocide as international crime

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
From the Brussels Times:

"Belgium's Federal Parliament approved a completely renewed Penal Code on Thursday evening, which – for the first time in Europe – includes recognition of the crime of ecocide at both the national and international levels.

From now on, ecocide is included in the criminal code, as are crimes against humanity and genocide. This ecocide law makes it possible to convict and punish serious, large-scale and irreversible crimes against nature with 20 years in prison and a fine of €1.6 million – making Belgium the first EU Member State to bring domestic law in line with the European Union’s revised Environmental Crimes Directive.

Nationally, the new crime of ecocide, aimed at preventing and punishing the most severe cases of environmental degradation, such as large oil spills, will be applied to individuals in the highest positions of decision-making power and to corporations.
"

I hope other countries will follow suit soon.

Last edited:
nice move, anyways how much forest is left in Belgium, because looking at this map, the deed is done, not much forest left

The law is basically irrelevant, its mostly showing off, right?

Last edited:
It's not just about protecting forests. For example last year of 3M factory near Antwerp polluted the soil, which had repercussions on the drinking water.

I also think that the law aims to punish offenders around the world if the company has activities in Belgium, although I'm not sure if the company needs to have its headquarters in Belgium to be liable. Ideally all developed countries should follow suit, so as to leave nowhere to hide for offending companies.

It's not just about protecting forests. For example last year of 3M factory near Antwerp polluted the soil, which had repercussions on the drinking water.

I also think that the law aims to punish offenders around the world if the company has activities in Belgium, although I'm not sure if the company needs to have its headquarters in Belgium to be liable. Ideally all developed countries should follow suit, so as to leave nowhere to hide for offending companies.
The way you wrote it now makes more sense tho, thats their domestic problem.

OP sounds hypocritical, if other countries are able to preserve ecology and already have similar laws active, one of worst offenders should keep their mouth shut, and work on themselves

This thread has been viewed 414 times.

Back