Blagotin

oldeuropeanculture

Reaction score
bognja-velika-majka.jpg

In the 6th millennium bc, in Serbia we find Vinča culture. I believe that everyone reading this have heard of the Vinča culture, the culture that invented metallurgy, alphabet... Slightly earlier, at the end of the 7th millennium bc we find on the same territory of Central Serbia, the Blagotin culture. I can bet that most people reading this have never heard of the Blagotin culture.

So let me tell you a story about Blagotin culture, or more precisely about Blagotin archaeological site, probably the most important archaeological site you have never heard of. The site where European Neolithic agricultural society was born. The site where we find the oldest temple in Europe and the second (or the third depending how you count) oldest temple in the world. The site where we find the oldest evidence of the complex astronomical and mathematical knowledge required to determine solstices and equinoxes and align the temple to cardinal points. The site where where we find first definite evidence of the development of the solar agricultural fertility cult. The site where we find the oldest town map in Europe and the oldest (or the second depending how you count) town map in the world.

The Blagotin site was discovered by Dr Svetozar „Nani“ Stanković just before the start of the Yugoslav civil war in 1991. The excavations were then continued until 1995 as a joint venture between the University of Belgrade (Serbia) and the University of Manitoba (Canada). Dr Svetozar „Nani“ Stanković (1948 - 1996) who lead the excavation, died in 1996 and the whole archaeological site was closed and forgotten??? Only 2.5% of the locality has been excavated so far. The site is not protected by Serbian government or by UNESCO. The goddess figurines are locked in the depot of the Belgrade University...

You can read more about Blagotin here:

http://oldeuropeanculture.blogspot.com/2015/03/blagotin.html

This thread has been viewed 2816 times.

Back