Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
JAtAF3u.jpg

I think he was western european, something like atlanto-mediterranean...?

Maybe a bit too broad headed for a typical 'atlant-med'? More other angles would be welcome for the game.

I don't do "types", but he's very Italian looking to me. Very handsome, as well.

Ah, Puccini. Very common look in Toscana. I have the same head shape, face shape, nose, chin, myself, although feminized.

I do agree with Moesan, however, in that the skull is broader than in the so-called Atlanto-Med type.

Well French, Italian and Iberian of course and that is easy.
Does not look very Greek compared to the other 3 for some reason, maybe because I've seen less 19th century/ early 20th century photos of Greeks in comparsion to Western Europeans which might've coloured my prospective.

He could also pass as a Med-ish outlier like in Austria and some more northern countries. Ex. Sean Connery or John Hamm are not Southern Europeans.

In some old Anthropology plates there were some broad headed Atlanto Med samples like these

types-atlanto-mediterranean.jpgtroe233.jpg

Attachments

• Atlanto-Mediterranean_Race.jpg
    Atlanto-Mediterranean_Race.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 53
In some old Anthropology plates there were some broad headed Atlanto Med samples like these

View attachment 13795View attachment 13797
My remark was based on a lone pic. I asked for other angles because a frontal pic can abuse you very easily. I was thinking: a little too high cephalic index, 'broad' is an absolute term, not relative as an index, so I was imprecise. The pics you show us illustrate very well this aspect: absolute and relative. That said, these pics are not good to evok 'atlant-med', except the last one, down.
&: I think the nose of the fellow in question in this thread (Jovialis?) seems high rooted, what is not very 'atlant-med', but is more eastern in Mediterranea; but it's only a bet, without profile. Just guesses as always.

My remark was based on a lone pic. I asked for other angles because a frontal pic can abuse you very easily. I was thinking: a little too high cephalic index, 'broad' is an absolute term, not relative as an index, so I was imprecise. The pics you show us illustrate very well this aspect: absolute and relative. That said, these pics are not good to evok 'atlant-med', except the last one, down.
&: I think the nose of the fellow in question in this thread (Jovialis?) seems high rooted, what is not very 'atlant-med', but is more eastern in Mediterranea; but it's only a bet, without profile. Just guesses as always.

They are classified as Atlanto meds in those plates though, it was not me classifing them as such.

View attachment 13795View attachment 13797

I'm often confused by the plates which supposedly represent certain "types", and I mean all of them. To me they don't always seem like the same "type" at all, and some seem downright wrong. The example of the latter is a Southern Italian who is labeled classic Med if I remember correctly, and he seemed Alpine more than anything else.

Here's my contribution, my dad, whom I think bears some resemblance to the young man in the first plate (from the Ligurian Alps near Genova, although technically Piemonte, and near my father's ancestral home). I always hesitated to "classify" my father as "Atlanto-Med" however, because like this young man, he had this broad,enormous skull with pronounced occiput, unfortunately inherited by me, which I'm not sure correlates with Atlanto-Med.

1nF2oGe.jpg

The slanted nose is due to his breaking it playing soccer, and he never had it reset. It was low-rooted. He's in his mid-thirties here, in Italy, and his hair had darkened to a medium brown, but his eyes, according to my mother, were still fern green. His eye-lids and those of most of his siblings, had a downward slant to them almost half-covering the eye, which I see very rarely in Italians.

Earliest picture I have of him. I inherited the scowl when I'm annoyed, but also when I'm concentrating. :)
L323agC.png

Anyway, I gave up on this typology because so many of the anthropologists contradicted one another and even themselves in some of the plates they chose as examples.

My latest foray using an amateur site to which I sent a picture of myself when I was 18 produced ridiculous results in my opinion. Dalo-Faelid, and next Canarid??? Really? Then Dinarid, when I have a very pronounced occiput, low root, and absolutely straight nose? It was even short at this age.
naBBd51

GZB9bwQ.png

naBBd51

No, I don't buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 2889 times.

Back