E1b1b in the Balkans (Question)

Lehwos

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Northern European
Ever since getting into European genetics, I've been fascinated by how dense E1b1b is in Kosovo. Initially I assumed this might be the result of Pelasgians who took longer to assimilate, but I've since come to realize that J2 is instead most associated with a Pelasgian presence (though E1b1b was certainly prominent.)

Haplogroup-E1b1b.jpg

Haplogroup-E-V13.gif

So, are there any civilizations in particular to whom E-V13 in the Balkans might be connected? I've found alleged links to Cardium Pottery and "Old Europe," but have also heard that few samples confirm this. I thought that the Vinca culture might be a potential ancestor, but I've heard that they're mostly linked to G2a. And do the known ancestors (Paeonians, Dardanians, etc) of Kosovans have any peculiar myths or societal features which might point to a past linked to E-V13?

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Edit: If any moderators would rather move this to the E1b1b subforum, I'd be perfectly fine with that.

Attachments

• Haplogroup-E1b1b.jpg
    Haplogroup-E1b1b.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 51
It is also said that this haplo is connected to Celts...

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

It is also said that this haplo is connected to Celts...

Sent from my iPhone using Eupedia Forum

If so then I would not understand why. It's weakest in dense Celtic areas like the Alps and Atlantic coast. Central France's strength of E1b1b doesn't come from European E-V13 on its own, but a combination of that and that Middle-Eastern E-M81 and E-M123.

Personally I believe the opposite is true.

Haplogroup-E-M81.gif

Haplogroup-E-M123.gif

I don't think v-13 have to be associated with any particular culture or civilization, I think they migrated separately as did G, J2, R1b but other haplogroups soon get associated with different culture/peoples yet v-13 might have just joined different peoples as labourers hence they spread to so many regions so fast, as labourers with r1b they migrated to west europe. Look Roma people today, they populate so many countries yet they haven't tried to create any kingdom/country for themselves so did v-13 folks in ancient times they just joined other haplogroups as labourers.

I don't think v-13 have to be associated with any particular culture or civilization, I think they migrated separately as did G, J2, R1b but other haplogroups soon get associated with different culture/peoples yet v-13 might have just joined different peoples as labourers hence they spread to so many regions so fast, as labourers with r1b they migrated to west europe. Look Roma people today, they populate so many countries yet they haven't tried to create any kingdom/country for themselves so did v-13 folks in ancient times they just joined other haplogroups as labourers.

I'm very doubtful that Kosovo could be 40-50% V-13 without it being connected to some sort of civilization or tribe. It is just too dense, especially after the Indo-European migrations too, for this to be the case in my opinion.

Maybe one factor is a statistical fluctuation in a small region populated by a high E percentage.

in kosovo's case it could be founder effect of a tribe. this region was controlled by much important neighbours IMO.

For now, the EV13 density matches best historical linguistic evidence related to Kosovo and its early Albanian presence.

You can find used copies in good condition of "Kosovo: A Short History" by Sir Noel Malcolm, that go for no more than
5 dollars total including shipping on Amazon.

I would send a pdf if I had one, but I only have a hardcopy version in Albanian.

This thread has been viewed 7267 times.

Back