Heritage vs. upbringing: Which counts more?

Diomedes

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Greek
Of course people will come from "somewhere". They are 1/32 of this and 1/8 of that etc. Do even these numbers, or ethnicities that follow them, have any real effect? To me what matters more is the society you have been brought up, as this is what affects you the most in life. Surely, for second generation immigrants parents might affect a bit, but after that there is total assimilation (except maybe if one lives in segregated areas).

Thus, if my parents were born in Europe and I was born in America, I am mostly American not a European, as I will be acting like the former, rather the latter. My European ancestry is just a "title" I carry with me, but perhaps without any real value.

Any thoughts on it?

How about a third option. The society we will build for the future?

Last edited:
How about a third option. The society we will build for the future?
I would love to see, instead of ethnic countries, countries built on ideas. For example, there should be a different country for people who are libertarians and different for conservative people. Or different for free market economy and different for government planned economy. Or country for a rational people and a country for religious conservatives. Then everybody at age of 18-20 could pick the best suited country to live in. I believe, living in a country of same minded people would be much easier, peaceful and productive for all.
Well, we sort of have these varieties now, though it is very hard to pick a country to live in at will. And many countries swing back and forth in political views, or politics and economy is crippled by different parties and factions never agreeing on directions. On top of it there is strong nationalistic hatred in many of them.

Schizophrenics?

When I see a european male writing such nonsense,
I began to understand, why our civilisation is falling.

Heritage, but not schizophrenic AND upbringing.

Just curious, how is civilization failing? I admit, I have fractions on my profile however I tend to find ancestry as enchanting entertainment. Sometimes I'd like to relive the past and knowing your ancestry is an interactive way to understand history, but that's just me personally. :)

I would love to see, instead of ethnic countries, countries built on ideas. For example, there should be a different country for people who are libertarians and different for conservative people. Or different for free market economy and different for government planned economy. Or country for a rational people and a country for religious conservatives. Then everybody at age of 18-20 could pick the best suited country to live in. I believe, living in a country of same minded people would be much easier, peaceful and productive for all.
Well, we sort of have these varieties now, though it is very hard to pick a country to live in at will. And many countries swing back and forth in political views, or politics and economy is crippled by different parties and factions never agreeing on directions. On top of it there is strong nationalistic hatred in many of them.

LeBrok, don't you think you will be bored like hell in heaven?

Our minds and ideas evolve, and often to do so require opposition, innovation, adaptation, compromise. The mind of a 20 years old has different constrains that the mind of a 40 years old, which is also different from a 60 years old.
Don't remember who said, maybe Churchill, if you are not left winged in yours twenties you don't have a heart, and if you are nor right winged in your thirties you don't have a brain. (not that I fully agree with it, but our spirit is dynamic and we update our choices daily)

LeBrok, don't you think you will be bored like hell in heaven?
I would love to create my own heaven, because nobody knows me better than I.

Our minds and ideas evolve, and often to do so require opposition, innovation, adaptation, compromise. The mind of a 20 years old has different constrains that the mind of a 40 years old, which is also different from a 60 years old.
Do be honest, my character and personality didn't change match since my 20s (I'm in my 50s). I could say though, I'm more refined and free.

Don't remember who said, maybe Churchill, if you are not left winged in yours twenties you don't have a heart, and if you are nor right winged in your thirties you don't have a brain. (not that I fully agree with it, but our spirit is dynamic and we update our choices daily)
It depends on personality and upbringing a lot. For example, I was raised by my mother in more conservative way, but in my thirties, I turned more libertarian, following my own personality.

may the father of understanding guide you.
(just joking my friend)

This thread has been viewed 3685 times.

Back