How to test haplogroups for my Sicilian ancestry

ittiandro

Banned
Reaction score
I am Italian-born with paternal ancestry from Sicily and North Italy-Lombardy( paternal grandfather and p. grandmother) and from Lombardy( my mother lineage.)
Sicily has been a melting pot of people since antiquity, as witnessed by a number of genetic studies on the Sicilian population, which have found a very considerable Greek imprint, along with North African, Middle Eastern and Northern strands.
These various ethnic strands are described in genetic terminology as haplogroups, I believe .

Even though they can date back as far as 24,000 years ago or longer, there seems to be a consensus that a considerable part of the haplogroups defining the remarkable genetic diversity of modern Sicilians can be traced to historical events as recent as the Xth century B.C. onward, namely the Phoenician settlements in the Mediterranean, the rise of the Greek civilization, the Greek colonization of Southern Italy and Sicily in the VIIIth century B.C.,the Roman conquest of Sicily and, later, the Arabs and the Normans in the Xth century).

I think that my DNA could ( or should?) reflect the diversity of haplogroups of my Sicilian ancestry and to this purpose, I sent a sample to 23andME, hoping that some of them would show up in the report.

Unfortunately, they didn’t and my DNA test, beyond a wealth of other collateral, highly specialized information of little interest to me, didn’t go any further than confirming my South-European ancestry, broadly defining it as Italian, with Balkanic and other undefined South-European strands.

They say they didn’t test for haplogroups, because they do genotyping and Autosomal DNA.. From what I understand, a more in-depth haplogroup testing can be done only by whole genome sequencing.

From reading a number of DNA tests on the Sicilian population, I know that the more recurring haplogroups are G2a-P15: ( 12%) J2a-M410: 11%, E1b-V13 : 8% , J-M267 (Near-East): 6% , E-M81 (Berber)1.85%, along with a host or other less frequent ones.

I know that 50% of the genes are lost with each generation. Are there any chances that some of the above haplogroups can be found in my DNA? If so, how can I do this testing?

Thanks

Ittiandro

I am Italian-born with paternal ancestry from Sicily and North Italy-Lombardy( paternal grandfather and p. grandmother) and from Lombardy( my mother lineage.)
Sicily has been a melting pot of people since antiquity, as witnessed by a number of genetic studies on the Sicilian population, which have found a very considerable Greek imprint, along with North African, Middle Eastern and Northern strands.
These various ethnic strands are described in genetic terminology as haplogroups, I believe .

Even though they can date back as far as 24,000 years ago or longer, there seems to be a consensus that a considerable part of the haplogroups defining the remarkable genetic diversity of modern Sicilians can be traced to historical events as recent as the Xth century B.C. onward, namely the Phoenician settlements in the Mediterranean, the rise of the Greek civilization, the Greek colonization of Southern Italy and Sicily in the VIIIth century B.C.,the Roman conquest of Sicily and, later, the Arabs and the Normans in the Xth century).

I think that my DNA could ( or should?) reflect the diversity of haplogroups of my Sicilian ancestry and to this purpose, I sent a sample to 23andME, hoping that some of them would show up in the report.

Unfortunately, they didn’t and my DNA test, beyond a wealth of other collateral, highly specialized information of little interest to me, didn’t go any further than confirming my South-European ancestry, broadly defining it as Italian, with Balkanic and other undefined South-European strands.

They say they didn’t test for haplogroups, because they do genotyping and Autosomal DNA.. From what I understand, a more in-depth haplogroup testing can be done only by whole genome sequencing.

From reading a number of DNA tests on the Sicilian population, I know that the more recurring haplogroups are G2a-P15: ( 12%) J2a-M410: 11%, E1b-V13 : 8% , J-M267 (Near-East): 6% , E-M81 (Berber)1.85%, along with a host or other less frequent ones.

I know that 50% of the genes are lost with each generation. Are there any chances that some of the above haplogroups can be found in my DNA? If so, how can I do this testing?

Thanks

Ittiandro

Currently 23andme provides to everybody the haplogroups. ( in the US for sure ).
Also, you can’t loose your haplogroups. Haplogroups are pass unchanged ( Unless a mutation take place forming a subgroup) from Father to son, and from Mother to Daughter.
For example: you get your Y Haplogroup from your father, that came from his father, that came from his father and so on, for thousands of years.
If you have the Raw Data, uploading it to wegene.com/en provides the haplogroup for Free.
For a more specific downstream haplogroup upload the Raw Data to FTDNA. [emoji846]

I don't know exactly what you mean by this because it DOES in fact tell your ancestry composition by your autosomal ancestry. If it picked up traces from other groups it would be in the ancestry report; even by an infinitesimal fraction of a percent.

Post a screen shot of your results from 23andme.

Currently 23andme provides to everybody the haplogroups. ( in the US for sure ).
Also, you can’t loose your haplogroups. Haplogroups are pass unchanged ( Unless a mutation take place forming a subgroup) from Father to son, and from Mother to Daughter.
For example: you get your Y Haplogroup from your father, that came from his father, that came from his father and so on, for thousands of years.
If you have the Raw Data, uploading it to wegene.com/en provides the haplogroup for Free.
For a more specific downstream haplogroup upload the Raw Data to FTDNA. [emoji846]

Thanks for the reply.
I didn't know that my haplogroups would be available in the 23andMe raw data. Great! I just requested them.
I don't understand why, when I raised the same question in their Forum, nobody suggested that the haplogroups are in the Raw data. Possibly because of my ignorance in the field( even though I am well educated) and they thought it would be self-evident.

By the the way, I found Eupedia.com an excellent site. I'm intrigued by genetics and I am looking for a way to better understand this discipline either on the Internet or through books, like a sort of " Genetics for dummies.." format!

I have many questions, even the basic terminology!

One of them is about why and how haplogroups break down in subclades and in so many ramifications over time. Is this because of mutations?

Also, is it possible to establish the timeline of haplogroups and their subclades so that we know at least with a certain approximation when a particular one came into the genetic pool of an individual or a population?
For example , in the case of haplogroups of North African or Middle-Eastern or Greek-Balkanic origin in the Sicilian population , how do we know whether they entered the genetic pool following the Greek colonization or Arab conquest ( the Moors were mostly of Berber stock) , possibly by crossing the Adriatic/Ionian/Mediterranean seas or, rather, at an earlier date, even tens of thousands years earlier, possibly in the Neolithic, through complicated migrational patterns by land from North Africa, to the Middle East and then Anatolia and the Balkans?

Ittiandro

Hello ittiandro, feel free to get a screen shot of your 23andme when you can

I'm sorry, this makes no sense to me.

You don't have to request your uniparental markers. As soon as you sign in a screen shows up with listed results such as Ancestry Comp, Maternal Haplogroup, Paternal Haplogroup etc. All you have to do is click on them.

I wouldn't place too much credence on the musings of people on that forum. Most of them have zero experience with actual population genetics papers.

Hello ittiandro, feel free to get a screen shot of your 23andme when you can

My request was sufficient, I'm sure he read it; he's not going to do it. SO You don't have to repeat it.

It's really annoying when you parrot what others say.

North African input in Sicily is very very small. Middle east (which is not Arabia but Anatolia-Caucasus-Coastal Levant) came from bronze age.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 5645 times.

Back