Religion Huge mosque to be built in front of the White House in Washington

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
The title was just to bring you attention. How would you feel if it were true ? What would be your reaction if the Muslim community of America wanted to build a major mosque at the corner of Potomac park next to the Federal Triangle and White House ? How would most Americans react ?

I can't speak for most Americans, but I would have no problem with it.

I only get offended when elected U.S. officials use religion in their governance of the nation. This is regardless of the religion involved.

I was wondering if some people may not see it as a kind of provocation to have a mosque in front of the office of the president of one of the most Christian nation on earth, especially considering the bad press Muslims got after 9/11.

I intentionally said inside the park, because only monument to the nation are there, and a mosque would seem even more out of place.

I think I would have issues with it. And I think alot of Americans would be offended by it. There may be issues with the so-called 80% of Christians getting offended by it. The reason why I pointed this out is because I remember reading an article about how a Christian woman from Texas got offended when a panther was placed in front of a courthouse (I think it was courthouse :?). She was offended by it because she said it represented paganism. :eek:kashii:

It would seem out of place to have a mosque next to the White House. :souka:

There are already six mosques and an Islamic cultural center in Washington DC. I have never been there, but it looks like there is one a few blocks from the White House.

The only problem I would have with a "huge Mosque" being build "In front of the White House" is that it ruins views of the historic architecture of the city. I don't think either a mosque or any other huge building should be built to close to the White House.

I insist on the fact that the mosque must be built in a park, with no other building around apart from national monuments, so as to give it an increased importance.

I was wondering about this because in Brussels there is such as mosque (the "Mosque of Brussels and Islamic Centre of Belgium") built inside the Jubilee Park, just between the huge Independence Gate (one of the biggest monuments in Belgium) and the Berlaymont Building, home to the EU Commission (which is the equivalent of the White House in the US). What's more, the mosque is built only 10m from a neoclassical temple (perfect imitation of a Roman temple). Almost all the people I see in that corner of the park are Muslim (all the women wear headscarves). It may be a coincidence, but the neoclassical temple has strange grafitti on it (something that looks a bit like Arabic script), while the mosque hasn't. I found it was a weird idea to build a mosque in a park symbolising the independence of Belgium and its monarchy, and so close from the seat of government of the EU (about 100m), especially since not so many Muslims live in that area.

I would object to it on aesthetic grounds and on historical grounds, but not simply because it was Islamic.

Maciamo said:
What would be your reaction if the Muslim community of America wanted to build a major mosque at the corner of Potomac park next to the Federal Triangle and White House ? How would most Americans react ?

My reaction would be, 'what are they trying to say?'-like thought running through my head. But you and Ma Cherie have, IMOH, correctly pointed out the state of Christianity's being a bigger thing in the US than in Europe, and, by extension, the most realistic probability of much ado about such a plan.

The question then becomes moot, actually; but for the sake of discussion, if one were built on that location, I'd go along with sabro san.

I remember when Disney offered to build an "Interpretive Center" at the edge of the Gettysburg battleflield. People objected.

This thread has been viewed 405 times.

Back