Information about R1b-L617

Kaspiaszlava

Reaction score
Morleydna predicted my haplogroup as R1b-L617(secondary). But i don't have any knowledge about it. Please share your informations.

Morleydna predicted my haplogroup as R1b-L617(secondary). But i don't have any knowledge about it. Please share your informations.

I am L617 so we might be distantly related. This subclade is not common in our part of Europe. It is most common in the British Isles and in Iberia, it also exists in Poland and Lithuania (but Lithuanians with it have Polish-sounding surnames). You would probably be the first person from Estonia with L617.

As for Morley - it predicted me differently and that prediction was wrong as it later turned out.

So there is no guarantee that you are L617 just based on Morley's prediction alone.

If you want to be sure you need to buy R1b SNP Pack from FTDNA or SNPs at YSEQ.

How many STR markers did you use for this prediction?

I am L617 so we might be distantly related. This subclade is not common in our part of Europe. It is most common in the British Isles and in Iberia, it also exists in Poland and Lithuania (but Lithuanians with it have Polish-sounding surnames). You would probably be the first person from Estonia with L617.

As for Morley - it predicted me differently and that prediction was wrong as it later turned out.

So there is no guarantee that you are L617 just based on Morley's prediction alone.

I'm planning to buy FTDNA-Y12.

Also;
Y: 539 markers (119 no-calls)

Y12 is useless and I'm not even sure if they are still selling it (I think minimum is Y37 now), better buy SNP Pack or Y67 at least.

Of course wait until this year's Christmas Sale, the price will be much lower and maybe they will also be extra discount coupons.

I am also L-617 with strong ancestry from Lithuania. It is very rare there, roughly 0-1% have test L-617 in LT. I'd also imagine not too many people have tested in that region. My research shows our R1b migration was probably from the Celtic tribes in ancient Europe, probably from Iberia, perhaps 2500 years ago. There were Celtic clans in Northern Poland. My ancestry breakdown is 87% LT/East Europe/Russia, 11% England, 2% Norway. This shows how long my family is in Lithuania - more than 500 years. I have very distant paternal matches in England. I believe that is associated with R1b migration since we have no paternal relations there.

As for Polish sounding names of Lithuanians it is due to the anglicizing of names upon emigration. My family had a noble line that basically had to adopt the Polish surname Purycki (h. Korybut) from Purickas during the times of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. My legal, anglicized name is close to Purycki.

Last edited:
Tome, do you have a Gedmatch kit number? It's probably worth checking it out.

This thread has been viewed 3885 times.

Back