chrisrahi9

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Lebanese/Pontic Greek
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-BY189414
mtDNA haplogroup
H14a
I often hear that there are no samples for Iron age Ionic Greeks yet. If we look at the later roman samples from Miletus (Mugla samples) and Samsun (Anc_A samples), do we know if these can be considered as profiles of Ionic Greeks, when we combine what we know about their autosomal profile and the attested historical records?

The Mugla samples are not from Miletus, as far as I know, but from the Mugla region (ancient Caria, just south of Miletus).

We have some Iron age samples from Mugla that could indeed represent iron age Ionian colonists, but I don't know if they come from a Greek context or from a carian one. I even looked in the supplementary materials of the study, but I didn't find any info an the matter.

As for Samsun I guess it's a bit too far away from the Ionian coast to be representative of the Ionian Greek profile.

I too am highly anticipating Iron Age samples from Greece and the Ionian coast, since I believe they will be crucial in understanding hellenistic and Roman era demographic dynamics in the mediterranean region.

The Mugla samples are not from Miletus, as far as I know, but from the Mugla region (ancient Caria, just south of Miletus).

We have some Iron age samples from Mugla that could indeed represent iron age Ionian colonists, but I don't know if they come from a Greek context or from a carian one. I even looked in the supplementary materials of the study, but I didn't find any info an the matter.

As for Samsun I guess it's a bit too far away from the Ionian coast to be representative of the Ionian Greek profile.

I too am highly anticipating Iron Age samples from Greece and the Ionian coast, since I believe they will be crucial in understanding hellenistic and Roman era demographic dynamics in the mediterranean region.
I agree, it's a bit confusing to know from which context they come from. Are you referring btw to the Southern Arc study?
Regarding Samsun samples, one of them seems mixed and the other seems unmixed. The unmixed one seems to be closest to Dodecanese Greeks, and that's why I mention it, as it would likely have migrated there and not be the profile of a native of a black sea.
But yeah, we'll have to wait :)

This thread has been viewed 1032 times.

Back