Palaiologos J2 - Kastriotis T?

Dorian9

Reaction score
1696768258551.png

1696768317826.png

1696768461353.png

1696768614640.png

I am not sure where you got the sources so can't comment much.
But how does this Mazaraki being T make Kastrioti T?
Also, any deeper read for the Palailogos? J2a or J2b?

I am not sure where you got the sources so can't comment much.
But how does this Mazaraki being T make Kastrioti T?
Also, any deeper read for the Palailogos? J2a or J2b?
It's all speculative of course since you can't trust legends or that any NPE hasn't happened etc.

The Troupakis Y-DNA is on the FTDNA Greek project page I posted.

It's J2a (J-M319)

The Kastrioti is based on the theory that it's a branch of Mazreku-Mazaraki-Mazarech-Masarachi

The Y-DNA is from the relatives file of a person with roots in Ionian islands.

Both J-M319 and T in general are rare in Albanians so seems unlikely, that recent Greek must only be related from mother's side, father's side ydna is wrong. However in terms of origin this isn't the first time I have seen that the Kastrioti lineage goes back to Epirus. Gjergj Kastrioti who had completely lost his identity after being kidnapped returned with the title King of Epirus while only Price of Emathia, it seems his fellow Albanians reminded him of his lineage

Last edited:
Both J-M319 and T in general are rare in Albanians so seems unlikely, that recent Greek must only be related from mother's side, father's side ydna is wrong. However in terms of origin this isn't the first time I have seen that the Kastrioti lineage goes back to Epirus. Gjergj Kastrioti who had completely lost his identity after being kidnapped returned with the title King of Epirus while only Price of Emathia, it seems his fellow Albanians reminded him of his lineage
As I said it's all hypothetical but presence of J-M319 in Albanians would be irrelevant about Palaiologos either way.About T ,if we were to use the same logic of popularity we'd never guess Napoleon and Hitler had E1b clades , Thomas Jefferson T , Kolokotronis I1 etc
The family's origin is patrilineal ,the question is if the connection with Kastrioti is true and/or if that family has multiple different clades who just share the name.

I saw Maciamo claim V13 for Kastrioti based on someone contacting him on social media. I do find this weak, but then again I do not know who contacted him... I think the definitive answer will come by analyzing close descendants of Kastriotis bones. Everything else leaves room for stuff like multiple clades apearing, non paternity events and many other funky scenarios. I am sure that in Piana degli Albanesi in the old chappels there ought to be close descendants burried. The question is if there is enough will and initiative to test.

I saw Maciamo claim V13 for Kastrioti based on someone contacting him on social media. I do find this weak, but then again I do not know who contacted him... I think the definitive answer will come by analyzing close descendants of Kastriotis bones. Everything else leaves room for stuff like multiple clades apearing, non paternity events and many other funky scenarios. I am sure that in Piana degli Albanesi in the old chappels there ought to be close descendants burried. The question is if there is enough will and initiative to test.
Saw the Maciamo one but since there was no source I searched and came across that post so I'm not sure about it's validity either.

Last edited:
1. The source from years ago, managed to find it.

Edit: Managed to verify the recent tree as well courtesy of social media. Also, reading the tree by letters instread of indentation from A1 source, If I am not mistaken there is male descendants. So assuming no non-paternity event, and assuming the person that contacted Maciamo is verified on that tree I think V13 might be a good shot.

Edit2: Worth mentioning that from my review of sources of early A1 tree, there were some mistakes, carried over from to the tree from the errors in the historical books it was sourced from. But mainly names and legends preceding Skenderbeg, so doubt it affects the rest of the tree.

Last edited:
It's all speculative of course since you can't trust legends or that any NPE hasn't happened etc.

The Troupakis Y-DNA is on the FTDNA Greek project page I posted.

It's J2a (J-M319)

The Kastrioti is based on the theory that it's a branch of Mazreku-Mazaraki-Mazarech-Masarachi

The Y-DNA is from the relatives file of a person with roots in Ionian islands.

Mazrek is also a village in Kosovo in the Has-Prizren region . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazrek,_Prizren . It's also a tribal name 'Mazreku' . And also found in South-Eastern Serbia 'Mazarac' recorded as 'Mazarak' around 15th-16th century https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazarać , and was inhabited by Albanians

Last edited:
As I said it's all hypothetical but presence of J-M319 in Albanians would be irrelevant about Palaiologos either way.About T ,if we were to use the same logic of popularity we'd never guess Napoleon and Hitler had E1b clades , Thomas Jefferson T , Kolokotronis I1 etc
The family's origin is patrilineal ,the question is if the connection with Kastrioti is true and/or if that family has multiple different clades who just share the name.

Germany and even France has plenty of E1b so not that surprising for Hitler or Napoleon

Maybe they changed surname to mother's side at some point or someone in the lineage cheated with a different man

I ended up by coincidence at this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vrana_(military_commander) after searching for the etymology of the surname which exists among Arvanites and whose haplos we have and it turns out it's also said to be related to Kastrioti.There's two different haplos found for them one is G-PF3316 and the other just like Mazarakis T-M70
1702859019490.png
1702859037215.png

This thread has been viewed 1581 times.

Back