Religion Religions : the cause and motivation of many wars in history

RockLee

???l
Reaction score
Ethnic group
european
Religion is humanity's n°1 apology to justify what it has been doing troughout the ages.

-Murder billions in God's name
-Slaughter people who NOT believe in "God"
-Hate people because they have different believes
-Kill the 'infidels' (Extremists in Islam
-Crusades in the Christian world against the Muslims and heathens who do not believe in God
-Treat people different because they do not believe in your God
-etc.

It seems religion and war go hand in hand, one reason why I'm all against religion in the first place.Even Bush uses God as an excuse for his anti-terrorist hunting party !

I say: "Nay against religion !".

bossel said:
As you said, religion is often just an excuse. Not religion & war go hand in hand, but mankind & war do. Therefore you should say "Nay to human beings!"
If there wasn't any religion, mankind wouldn't be in such a mess in the first place.I think "Nay to religious people" would be better, it's because of them the problems started in the first place.

RockLee said:
If there wasn't any religion, mankind wouldn't be in such a mess in the first place.I think "Nay to religious people" would be better, it's because of them the problems started in the first place.

RockLee, you know it isn't fair for you to say that. You know very well that there have been wars started without any religious reasons. And I believe you know very well that you can't blame religion for all of mankind's problems. Beside, mankind creates problems, religion is just one of the reasons why.

RockLee said:
Cause & effect? Are humans to blame, or religion? Are religious people to blame?
Religion is often, as you said, only an excuse. If there was no religion, people would find another excuse (probably some do-good ideology which would make all people so much happier).

Ma Cherie said:
RockLee, you know it isn't fair for you to say that. You know very well that there have been wars started without any religious reasons.

I hope so ! It would be too bad if all wars were caused only by religion and so many people were still religious !

But you can't deny that some of the Western world's worst wars and atrocities in history (prior to the 18th century Enlightenment) were caused by religion :

- 9 Crusades between 1099 and 1271. The first crusade alone was composed of an army of 100,000 crusaders, at a time when the world's population was about 300 million (20x less than today). So that would have been like an army of 2 million people fighting for god in today's terms.

- 700 years of Inquisition : not a war, but murder and torture of tens of thousands of people in the name of god. Add to this the killing of millions of Amerindians by the fervently religious Spaniards (and Portuguese) in the same period. Anyone would refused to convert died.

- Wars of religion (Catholic vs Protestant) : started by Luther's ideas, it caused the looting and destruction of many cities (including the sack of Rome in 1527). It degenerated in open wars between European states. The 30 Years War in religiously divided Germany was one of the bloodiest Europe had ever known.

Wikipedia said:
Estimates of mass civilian casualties of up to thirty percent of the population of Germany are now treated with caution. The mortality rate was perhaps closer to 15 to 20 percent, with deaths due to armed conflict, famine and disease.

So, between 15% and 30% of the population of Germany wiped out for the "love of god".

There were also the French Wars of Religion, and the religious repressions in Britain that led to the emigration of millions to the Americas. We could say that the USA was built on the wars of religions between Catholics and Protestants, and between Protestants themselves.

I am not going to start about Islam and the Jihad here. You get the picture.

bossel said:
Cause & effect? Are humans to blame, or religion? Are religious people to blame?
Religion is often, as you said, only an excuse. If there was no religion, people would find another excuse (probably some do-good ideology which would make all people so much happier).
That's speculation, afteral we can't possibly know what would've happened if there was no religion.But many things happened because of religion and you can still see the influences even on this day.It's a fact, not speculation !

RockLee, you know it isn't fair for you to say that. You know very well that there have been wars started without any religious reasons. And I believe you know very well that you can't blame religion for all of mankind's problems. Beside, mankind creates problems, religion is just one of the reasons why.
Did I say it's only because of religion? I never blamed religion for all the problems.I said :
Religion is humanity's n??1 apology to justify what it has been doing troughout the ages.
it's because of them the problems started in the first place.
Did I ever said only religion is to blame? NOOOO ;)

Okay, RockLee I understand now. But sometimes you're so dramtic.:p I won't deny that religion seems to be the main reason for war. But of course there have been wars started without any religious reasons. World War I and II come to mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_war_one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_Two

I see your point, though Maciamo, and even if the world were to eliminate religion, (I think bossel pointed this out:? ) people will find other reasons to fight. I think that's just mankind. I mean there hasn't really been a peaceful time in human history.:?

Ma Cherie said:
But of course there have been wars started without any religious reasons. World War I and II come to mind.

The reasons for WWI were quite intricate. It was a result of growing tensions between European superpowers, dangerous alliance treaties, imperialism, nationalism, pride, and even inter-European racism. This was the final result of the agrarian and industrial revolution mixed with the "envy" central empires toward colonial powers like France and Britain.

But religion was still strong among the populations of Europe at the time. Religious fervour partly influenced the fanaticism with which people fought for their nation. The war was evitable and could have been stopped at almost anytime by signing a piece of paper. Russia did just that in 1917 when the Bolcheviks took command.

Many European lost faith in religion after WWI, as they thought that if the benevolent, omniscient and omnipotent Christian god they had believed in really existed, it could never have allowed such disastrous massacres among its most loyal subjects. As a result, WWII (aka "Revenge of the Sith", er sorry, of Germany) was much "quieter". Apart from the systematic destruction of the Jedi...er Jews, there were very little fighting in the first 2 years of the war. In fact, after France and Britain declared war on Germany for invading Poland in March 1939, nobody moved for over 1 year ! Germany "peacefully" invaded Denmark in April 1940 (i.e. there was no fighting), and Norway, which resisted for a few days. In May, Germany took the Netherlands also without resistance, and Belgium and France with just minor resistance for 18 days. Britain was lucky when its outnumbered airforced routed the Luftwaffe, and was able to save time to organise its defense. But Germany did not invade, preferring to concentrate on other regions (Eastern Europe, esp. Russia, and North Africa). Italy hardly did any fighting during the war, except maybe when they were invaded by Allied forces in 1943. Spain, Portugal, Ireland, Switzerland and Sweden were all out of the war (all helping Germany, except Portugal).

Why was there so much inertia, so little desire to fight the invador well-known for its intention to wipe out "undesirable" people (the old, the handicapped, the Jew and the Gipsy) ? They were fed up of war, and their loss of religious convictions meant that they also lost a motivation to die. Most of the people who died in Europe during WWII were German and Soviet soldiers, Jews, and to a much lesser extent US and British troops.

But that's not all. After WWII, the victorious and now almighty USA changed its most fundamental values. From a isolationist nation born on religious tolerance with the motto "e pluribus unum", it changed to an imperialistic and Christian-favoured nation with motto "In God We Trust" (motto changed in 1956). It had tasted to the dark side of the forced, which would eventually consume it in its quest for power in the struggle against communism, and its distorted values of Christian moral supremacy. Religious had once again made of a powerful nation the tool of evil. The results were disatrous : Korean War, Cold War, Vietnam War, support of dictatorial regimes in South America and Africa, invasion of Panama, Gulf War, Iraq War, rise of terrorism... Never had a Western country started so many wars in such remote places of the globe in such a short period of time...

I see your point, though Maciamo, and even if the world were to eliminate religion, (I think bossel pointed this out:? ) people will find other reasons to fight. I think that's just mankind. I mean there hasn't really been a peaceful time in human history.:?

Japan has never been very religious, apart from its crazy State-Shintoism period and its Divine Emperor from the late 19th century to 1945. Before that it had enjoyed an amazingly long period of peace under the Tokugawa Shogunate (1600-1867). It's all the more amazing that they had already tasted to firearms in the 16th century (the Warring States period), but were able to prevent any rebellion or threat to public order for over 250 years. Interestingly, religious fanaticism was a concept unknown to them. China managed to keep peace and unity for relatively long periods of its history thanks to its equal lack of religiousness. It was mostly corruption, poverty and especially foreign pressure (Mongols, Manchus, Westerners, Japanese...) that prompted changes in regimes... and wars.

Bossel said:
Anyway, there are numerous examples in history where a war is ascribed to religion when in fact other motives played a bigger role.

My argument is not just that wars are started because of religions, but also that people fight (ferociously) motivated by their beliefs in heaven. That was already the case of Germanic tribes who fought against the Romans, and later the Vikings, and fought to death because Germanic paganism preached that only warriors who died in combat would go to the Valhalla (heaven). It's pretty similar to the Muslim belief that Muslims who die during Jihad will go directly to heaven and be more rewarded than other Muslims.

The Japanese may have lacked an excluisve religion and religious fanaticism or active proselytism, but the samurai were only so ready to die honourably in combat because the Buddhism they followed (Zen) preached the futility of our impermanent lives and the almost inescapable cycle of reincarnation.

I'd say most wars were not at all caused by religious ideals. Before the first crusade, the Pope called for a war against the Muslims. There were no takers, finally, when people realized there were opportunities for wealth to be had, there were droves of people ready to fight the Pope's holy war.

That is just an example, but most, even the long war between the Catholics and Protestants were more brought about by socioeconomics. The Catholics were losing control, and they were fighting to keep the vast power that they had once had.

The Inquisition was actually started before the Pope could even veto it. The politics that happened after that I do not remember. (info of all the above gleaned from an unforgotten source, and now I cannot verify if I remember it correctly or not).

I would say that people who wish to justify or motivate others to war would find ways, even within an almost completely atheistic society.

I agree with Revenant, for except one point Inquisition started under Pope`s command... As far as i remember from history of inquisition fers were created Lord`s dogs (Dominicanes) to oppose growing influence of Albigensians and Katars (sp?). Their virtues drove population of south France away from roman church (which, of course reflected in dropping of moneys received ) and only later order of Jesuits was established

religion always was just an excuse

Void said:
to oppose growing influence of Albigensians and Katars (sp?).
Albigensians & Cathars are the same, but for the rest of it (if I understood correctly) I think you're right.

religion always was just an excuse
Not always, but often.

Maciamo said:
The war was evitable and could have been stopped at almost anytime by signing a piece of paper. Russia did just that in 1917 when the Bolcheviks took command.
This signing of a piece of paper cost Russia a considerable amount of land (resources) & people. The same would have been necessary in the West, but since the Western front was pretty stable & both sides were convinced that they could win (IE make a military advance strong enough to force the other side into signing a peace treaty under un-favourable conditions), stopping the war wouldn't have been very easy.

Apart from the systematic destruction of the Jedi...er Jews, there were very little fighting in the first 2 years of the war.
Actually, the systematic destruction of the Jewish population didn't start until 1941.

In fact, after France and Britain declared war on Germany for invading Poland in March 1939, nobody moved for over 1 year !
That can hardly be called a result of WWI. Germany wasn't really prepared for a war at such an early date (they planned for a war against France, but only a few years later), neither were the Western allies. Main reasons for Germany to delay (29 times!) an attack in the West were bad weather conditions & the losses in Poland, which were heavier than expected.

and Norway, which resisted for a few days.
2 months actually.

Germany took the Netherlands also without resistance
Without? I suppose, there are some Dutch who would object to that notion.

and Belgium and France with just minor resistance for 18 days.
10th May til 25th June. Minor resistance? 135,000 allied & 46,000 German casualties. OK, not a slaughterhouse as in WWI, but not because the people didn't want to fight. The Blitzkrieg tactic did it.

They were fed up of war, and their loss of religious convictions meant that they also lost a motivation to die.
Too easy explanation.

It had tasted to the dark side of the forced, which would eventually consume it in its quest for power in the struggle against communism, and its distorted values of Christian moral supremacy.
Too easy again. Ideologies played a major role in East vs. West. Religion was part of the Western motivation, but I doubt the importance you attribute to it.

China managed to keep peace and unity for relatively long periods of its history thanks to its equal lack of religiousness.
Now, that's a bit far-fetched.

It was mostly corruption, poverty and especially foreign pressure (Mongols, Manchus, Westerners, Japanese...) that prompted changes in regimes... and wars.
Sounds like nationalist Chinese propaganda I often encountered: China always was a peaceful, peaceloving nation, it only fought if attacked. Phhhh...

Religious fervour partly influenced the fanaticism with which people fought for their nation.
[...]
My argument is not just that wars are started because of religions, but also that people fight (ferociously) motivated by their beliefs in heaven.
No disagreement here. But that is not the same as being the cause of war & destruction. It's an additional factor, but not the cause.

That was already the case of Germanic tribes who fought against the Romans, and later the Vikings, and fought to death because Germanic paganism preached that only warriors who died in combat would go to the Valhalla (heaven).
I think, you confuse something here. AFAIK, it's not about dying in combat, but being a brave fighter. You also came to Valhalla if you died in peacetime, if you had been brave enough in battle.

BTW:
Maciamo said:
So, between 15% and 30% of the population of Germany wiped out for the "love of god".
In case of the 30-years-war one major cause was religion, but the motivation for fighting still varied widely. From your link:
"It occurred for a number of reasons. Although it was from its outset a religious conflict between Protestants and Catholics, the self-preservation of the Habsburg dynasty was also a central motive."

and again:
"In addition to the religious elements, they involved a struggle of influence over the ruling of the country between the powerful House of Guise (Lorraine) and the Catholic League, on the one hand, and the House of Bourbon on the other hand."

sabro said:
Economics always trumps religion as a motivation.

It's easy to claim economics as the reason for everything. I think that religion comes first, then economics. You have to understand that people would never be as ready to die in the first place (in any war, even nowadays) if they didn't believe in heaven (and therefore god/gods).

In China for instance, fighting armies had a very different approach to war as more religious regions of the world. When 2 armies faced each others, it was not uncommon for an outnumbered army to surrender immediately, and be assimilated into the bigger army to create an even bigger one. This way, people avoided an almost certain death and everybody "won". This snowball effect also happened in the last civil war between Communist and Kuomintang, with only the most hardliners Kuomintang staying till the end (and feeling to Taiwan).

In Christian and Muslim countries, people often fight to death, motivated by the rewards of going to heaven. This is especially true in religious wars like the Crusades or Protestant vs Catholics.

Regular wars were fought by well organised armies, with rules of war, and commanders could even be extremely civil with each others, even discussing war over a cup of tea, then heading to battle the next day (esp. in the 18th and 19th centuries). At the Anglo-French Battle of Fontenoy (in Belgium) in 1745, the commadning French officer reputedly asked to his English counterpart to shoot first (sources) :

Count of Anterroches said to the English his famous sentence: Messieurs, nous ne tirons jamais les premiers ; tirez vous-même, often shortened as Tirez les premiers, Messieurs les Anglais (Shoot first, English Gentlemen). The English shot and broke through the line to the plain of Fontenoy, where Saxe was prepared to welcome them.

Let us not forget that military officers at the time were generally from the nobility (so "gentlemen"). It was also the age of duels for honour, with similarily strict rules. Military wars (as opposed to religious/civilian wars) were waged like duels on a bigger scale. Officers taken captive were not maltreated or executed, but treated as gentlemen, with due respect (this was also true during the American Civil War). These were "civilised wars" where people knew they risked their lives for the honour and glory of their nation (or their own).

In contrast, wars caused by religions knew no such rules of civilised conduct. People butchered each others indiscriminately, killing civilian men, women and children. This was true of the crusades, but also of more recent wars such as the 30 Years War in Germany or the French Wars or Religion (linked above). Then, once we look at the 700-year Inquisition, we see torture, people burn alive, mutilated, or treated like beats, just for the "Love and Glory of God". There was no real economic reason to do witch hunts, execute the heretics, or convert by force colonised people. This was all done out of religious fervour. These are not wars... These are massacres of civilians. If we look at history, most of such atrocities were commited because of religion.

Even the Holocaust against the Jews was religiously motivated (Judaism being a religion). We could argue that the Japanese massacres in Asia were also committed due to religious fanaticism toward the God-like Emperor and State Shintoism (there is a reason State Shinto alone was banned after WWII, and why its foremost shrine, Yasukuni-jinja, still causes political tensions with Japan's ex-victims).

bossel said:
Actually, the systematic destruction of the Jewish population didn't start until 1941.

Sorry, I changed my ideas in the middle of writing my sentence. I wanted to write : "Apart from the systematic destruction of the Jedi...er Jews, there were very little fighting in Western Europe during WWII - especially in the first 2 years of the war." :relief:

For the rest, you must have understood that I was a bit caricaturing to reach a wider audience... :p

RockLee said:

Yes, we agree, RockLee.

This thread has huge possiblities need I say. Like your OP and wars with approximate casualties list can be referenced. I will help out with this thread.

Maciamo-
I didn't say that economics is the reason for everything, just a far more common and important reason for warfare than religion. Plain old power politics, conquest, land grabs--- they are all economic in nature. If you can fit religion as a unifying force, a reason to rally the troops-- it is definitely helpful, but it isn't the underlying cause. Even Marx was able to see this little gem. Alexander, Ginghis Khan, Hitler, Stalin, Mao... none fought to spread a religion... As far as American conflics, none was predicated on religion or religious goals: The American Revolution, the Civil War, Spanish American War, WWI and WWII as well as Korea, Vietnam and Iraq are all "secular" conflicts for economic and political goals. Save the free world, independence, the abolition of slavery, containing communism... and whatever fantasy the president has dreamed up this week are the reasons we have gone to war on our side of the pond. Never religion.

Bush does everything in "God's name". And the guys voted for him are religious, don't you think religion has an influence in all that :?

Certainly religion has had an influence. Religion is part of Western culture. It is part of our language, history, traditions, literature, and arts. Bush is religious. The guys who voted for him are religious. But does that make religion the "cause" of it? 90% of the world's population is "religious" by self identification so all wars, probably throughout history has involved people that were religious.

We invaded Iraq. The majority religion of our nation is Christian. The majority religion of Iraq is Islam. The people doing the killing are religious and the people being killed are religious. But I would hesitate to say that this conflict is over religion. Radical Islamicists and fundamental Christians would like to make it about religion... but the war is political.

Perhaps because I am an American and religion- as influential and controversial as it is- is not a big deal or a really important part in a lot of people's lives. I grew up in a Catholic neighborhood, and not only was religion never a problem, I don't think anyone ever asked... People switch religions, churches, denominations, outmarriage is high... and at work, no one ever seems to discuss religion. It doesn't seem like something that people would kill each other over, even though I know they do. Money, power, economics-- those seem like real reasons to fight over... but religion?

This thread has been viewed 456 times.

Back