Remains of possibly crucified man found in Italy

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It's 2000 years ago, so Roman Era. A very gruesome and, yes, uncivilized mode of execution for people who prided themselves on their civilization.

As a teen-ager I remember reading books like Quo Vadis and Spartacus, and watching the movies too, and seeing the representations of those lines of crosses stretching for mines. It was horrifying, and I used to have nightmares about it.

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6665-180604-italy-crucifixion-ankle

"Researchers from the University of Ferrara and the University of Florence have examined the 2,000-year-old remains of a man they think might have been crucified, according to a report in Live Science. The poorly preserved bones, which were discovered near Venice in 2007, belonged to a man of slim stature and below average height who had been buried directly into the ground, rather than placed in a tomb with grave goods. “We found a particular lesion on the right calcaneus [heel bone] passing through the entire bone,” said medical anthropologist Emanuela Gualdi of the University of Ferrara. No evidence that his wrists had been nailed to a cross has been found, but Gualdi said they could have been tied to the cross with rope. She notes that crucifixion was commonly used to execute slaves and criminals in Roman society. “We cannot know if he was a prisoner,” she said, “but the burial marginalization indicates that he probably was an individual deemed dangerous or defamed in Roman society."

They don't make Classical history dramas anymore; the ones they do make are so terrible they're unwatchable. Other than Gladiator, of course. Now, there was a movie!

the time of the 'spectacle' movies is over

I liked Gladiator, and few years ago they made a TV series 'Spartacus' which I watched from time to time
and I've read a few books of Steven Saylor about a Roman detective - I already forgot his name

I think Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones replaced the spectacle movies, as well as the series 'Vikings'.
I only watched the latter from time to times. There is a lot of fantasy in it, but it takes into account whatever is known about these people.

This thread has been viewed 5730 times.

Back