Schubert, Trio op. 100 - Andante con moto

Echetlaeus

Hero of Marathon
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Epirotan
My friend in these days of melancholy!

Very beautiful. He was a melancholy man, Schubert, and had a sensitive soul.
No one feels another's grief, no one understands another's joy. People imagine they can reach one another. In reality they only pass each other by.

For those similarly afflicted I would suggest that they avoid Stravinsky at all costs. He could send anyone over the edge.

Perhaps some Copeland might help...

Thanks Angela,
music, of this kind, is my friend in my days of solitude. I will combine it with "One Hundred Years of Solitude".

P.S. Now I understand that this music was used in Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon".

Melancholy?
He has risen;

Indeed he is risen... αληθως Ανέστη (Alithos Anesti) but our fellow Eupedia member says he is still afflicted by melancholy, so perhaps it is personal and not spiritual in nature.

Certainly, anyone suffering from melancholy would do well to avoid certain music and literature. One Hundred Days of Solitude would be an extraordinarily bad choice for someone so afflicted. Although, some people find it comforting to know others suffer as well:
“Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness.”
Maya Angelou

No one feels another's grief, no one understands another's joy. People imagine they can reach one another. In reality they only pass each other by.

For those similarly afflicted I would suggest that they avoid Stravinsky at all costs. He could send anyone over the edge.

Ah, Angela, I fear you have a subversive streak. Copeland isn't really a counterpoint to Schubert or Stravinsky but rather the embodiment of a herd of wild horses trampling on the beautiful melancholy they create. And there are times when I love my melancholy, like a fine wine that needs to be savoured.

You say " Αληθώς Ανέστη = Indeed He is Risen " when someone says first: " Χριστός Ανέστη ". How is this related to melancholy? Some kind of Western European way, maybe?

Ah, Angela, I fear you have a subversive streak.
I do indeed. It's one of the things I most like about myself. :grin:

Copeland isn't really a counterpoint to Schubert or Stravinsky but rather the embodiment of a herd of wild horses trampling on the beautiful melancholy they create

I have to admit I'm not much of a Copeland fan either, but he was studied for the effect his music might have in lifting mood.

And there are times when I love my melancholy, like a fine wine that needs to be savoured

I somehow knew we had that in common.:) I tend to doubt the intelligence of people who are so happy and upbeat all the time. So annoying....

I tend to doubt the intelligence of people who are so happy and upbeat all the time. So annoying....

I agree. Such people seem to have no hidden depth. I can't imagine living with someone like that. People who love their melancholy can be difficult to deal with at times, but they're seldom boring. And I think being boring is one of the worse sins - I find only deliberate cruelty to be less forgivable.

The music reminds me of

The Lone Ranger

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Hiyo, Silver away

This thread has been viewed 6493 times.

Back