What is the origin of Rh- blood and people?

firetown

Banned
Reaction score
This will probably not be a popular thread, but I do know there are some people here who have interest in the subject and most of all: there are people here knowledgeable enough to help find answers if they invest their interest in it.
My initial reason for joining was to gather more information about blood type frequencies in ancient tribes and there has been great information here and there.
Mourant may have been correct about Neanderthaloids being responsible for Rh- blood in southwest France area 50,000 years ago, but they also could be responsible for high Rh- frequencies in the Yamnaya as well as today’s descendants, the Celts.
https://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/what-is-the-origin-of-rh-blood/
One of the leading scientists in the field of hematology believes Rh negative blood originated around 600,000 years in Africa, but I strongly disagree with that. Others believe that the gene deletion took place in various populations throughout the ages.
That sound plausible.
The fact that Neanderthal specimens were tested Partial D leads me back to Mourant and the possibility of their Rh status having been an evolutionary stepping stone towards most of the Rh- population today.

Last edited:
Yo tengo sangre AB-. Origen extraterrestre, no relación con simios LOL

Yo tengo sangre AB-. Origen extraterrestre, no relación con simios LOL
Are you serious about this? You believe Rh- blood "comes from aliens"?
Sorry if I offend you and you were joking.

Are you serious about this? You believe Rh- blood "comes from aliens"?
Sorry if I offend you and you were joking.

I was joking. What is true is that RH - is not related with monkeys, while RH+ is related.

Rh- evolved in Europe as one of the many mutations that gave rise to the current European population.

Mourant may have been correct about Neanderthaloids being responsible for Rh- blood in southwest France area 50,000 years ago.
https://www.rhesusnegative.net/staynegative/what-is-the-origin-of-rh-blood/

The fact that Neanderthal specimens were tested Partial D leads me back to Mourant and the possibility of their Rh status having been an evolutionary stepping stone towards most of the Rh- population today.

"Neanderthals"...(whatever this is, it encompasses hundreds of thousands of years, different species, and most of the world)

I've always wonder how "Neanderthals" are pointed out by so many as the origin of major genetic traits (pale skin, Rh negativity).
What science calls Neanderthals are some 2-3% of our DNA, I don't know if I'm missing something...

Anyway, the most genetically divergent and separated populations from the trunk of the Anatomically Modern Humans(AMH) evolutionary tree are the native hunter-gatherers of Africa (and to a lesser extent, Australia Oceania).
These are black people with NO Rh-, and have the highest ancestry from archaic human species. Indeed they're archaic themselves.

In my opinion Rh negativity has to come from one of the supersuccesful populations of the great expansion of AMH in Eurasia 50k ya.
But this doesn't come without trouble, there's also the question: Why all of humanity is rhesus positive except that one branch?

The partial RHD*DUC2 allele from Neanderthals was passed on to modern native Australians. It is phylogenetically assigned to the African RHD*DIVa cluster, confirming an African origin of Neanderthals. It was carried by Levantine Neanderthals who passed it to modern humans before 65 kya. Denisova 3 (76-52 kyBP) had complete RhD, Rhc and Rhe antigens.

pone.0254175.g003.jpg

Fig 3

Erythroid blood group distribution from Denisova and Neanderthal archaic genomes.

Branching matches nuclear DNA tree topology [43]. Blue, Neanderthal lineage; red, Denisovan lineage. Made with Natural Earth.

Demographic ‘fragility’
Lastly, our study highlights unfavorable characteristics that can lead to "demographic fragility". This fragility can be evoked on the basis of two elements: a low genetic diversity and the possible presence of HDFN. Indeed, the large number of shared alleles by the four archaic genomes despite their geographical and temporal distribution may be related to the deduced inbreeding situation in Neanderthals [14–16, 58], known to be a source of low adaptability. Meanwhile, the Neanderthal RH allele variants encode for partial RhD, Rhc and Rhe antigens, only Denisova 3 presents a complete form in terms of epitopes, such as they are described in their "wild" forms in modern humans. Partial RhD, Rhc and Rhe antigens lacking epitopes may induce an immune response when exposed to complete antigens [59, 60]. Moreover, when the RHCE*ceEK allele is present in a double dose (a situation which may turn out to be frequent in view of its presence in the 3 Neanderthals), in addition to the presence of partial Rhc and Rhe antigens, it encodes a phenotype defined by the absence of an Rh antigen named RH18. Today, this antigen is considered to be a high frequency antigen in the modern human population. Thus, a Neanderthal mother with partial RhD, Rhc, and Rhe phenotypes and sometimes RH:-18, carrying a Denisovan foetus expressing complete forms of RhD, Rhc and Rhe antigens and expressing the RH18 antigen, would have been prone to be immune to missing epitopes and synthesize anti-RhD, anti-Rhc, anti-Rhe and even anti-RH18 antibodies. These antibodies are known to have an important clinical significance in terms of HDFN [32]. These elements could have contributed to weakening the descendants to the point of leading to their demise especially combined with the competition with Homo sapiens for the same ecological niche [61].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8318287/

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4720 times.

Back