What Questions did Ancient Greeks Ask the Oracles?

Jovialis

Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Ancient Greeks were curious people and always asked questions about the world and man, as the writings of philosophers of the times indicate. At the same time, in some aspects at least, they were like modern people who want to know the future, searching for answers in astrologers, coffee-cup readers or psychics.

In the ancient days, Greeks went to the oracles to get the answers they wanted. After extensive research, Professor Mika Kajava from the University of Helsinki found some of the most common questions ancient Greeks asked the oracles.

Kajava found that the concerns and wishes of ancient Greeks were not very different from the ones modern Greeks have. And like today’s Christian Orthodox faithful who pray to God and ask for guidance and answers, the Greeks of the old days ran to the oracles asking very similar questions.

The Delphic oracle was the most prestigious, with kings and common people putting their questions about their future plans and waiting to receive a response about what the gods thought of them. Pythia is the best known priestess–oracle.

Delphi became so busy that long queues would form on the certain days of the month on which the priestess could be consulted and, in later times, several oracular priestesses would operate at once. But consultants had to be careful how they interpreted the, often unclear, answers of the oracle.

Will I be happy with the woman I’m marrying? Will I have children? Will I find a good job?Will my next journey to the colonies be dangerous? To which gods should I sacrifice to stay in good health? These are some of the questions ancient Greeks asked the oracles, never getting a clear answer.

Some of the people visited the oracles asking questions to solve crimes and mysteries, expecting the wisdom of the gods and their representatives on earth: “Who stole my sheep?” “Who poisoned Aristovoula?” “Is the child my wife is carrying mine?”

A very common question ancient Greeks asked the oracles was: “To which god should I pray, in order to see my business prosper?”

But the answers were almost always enigmatic. King Croesus of Lydia asked the oracle whether or not he should go to war on his neighboring kingdom. The oracle replied that if he went to war, a great kingdom would fall. Croesus interpreted this as being his enemy’s, but it turned out to be his own kingdom.

When the Persian army under Xerxes approached Athens, the Athenians wanted to know whether to fight the Persians and asked Delphi. Also, ambassadors consulted the oracles as to what policies were preferable.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/07/22/what-questions-did-ancient-greeks-ask-the-oracles/

I've been to Delphi, and I've seen the ruins. I recommend it as a must-see destination stop for people visiting Greece on vacation. The country has a lot of natural beauty as well that can really be appreciated in this particular area. The small villages high up on the mountains have majestic views to look out on the countryside from.

Our technology changes, but we don't. :)

For one of the questions, i.e. paternity, we have a solution: a dna test.

Our technology changes, but we don't. :)

For one of the questions, i.e. paternity, we have a solution: a dna test.

hmm
interesting view,

yet what happens when a mule becomew king?
DNA then is just a scandal

This thread has been viewed 6771 times.

Back