Whats the wildest assumption somebody made about your ethnic group??

Javen

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Western Visayan
Y-DNA haplogroup
O-F1275
mtDNA haplogroup
E1a1a1
Mine is somebody asked me what i was, i told him i was filipino. And he said thats impossible, filipinos are black. Then he assumed i was mixed with spanish( lol i dont look mestizo at all) . He ranted about how the original people in the philippines were black and that the ones who didnt look black is because of spanish colonization. Lmao

Norwegian or Russian

German, very offensive considering I m mostly Italian.

Mine is somebody asked me what i was, i told him i was filipino. And he said thats impossible, filipinos are black. Then he assumed i was mixed with spanish( lol i dont look mestizo at all) . He ranted about how the original people in the philippines were black and that the ones who didnt look black is because of spanish colonization. Lmao
I also get that being a Filipino in a foreign land. We are a diverse people with a rich history and culture. Over time, as cultural awareness increases through positive interactions, such misconceptions may gradually fade.

During my teenage years, classmates thought I was Asian. Nowadays people ask about my British past; Including my Girlfriend’s parents; whom immigrated from India.
My Maternal Nanny Babysat me in Preschool when Mom was off to college and dating my Step-Dad. Nanny Carol was born in London and immigrated to the States after marrying an American Military accountant in the mid 60’s. ^_^

That’s a first.
Agreeing with Samuel here, The West Coast has a rich Pinoy culture; with all different kinds of skin complexions; a family friend looks closer to Mainland East Asians in complexion. It’s nice seeing the Sinongobee decorations over the holidays at the Catholic Church; as well as the Christmas Tree. :)

I also get that being a Filipino in a foreign land. We are a diverse people with a rich history and culture. Over time, as cultural awareness increases through positive interactions, such misconceptions may gradually fade.
Lol non-filipinos like mexicans and mullatos are more likely to be assumed to be filipino before i would, and Im 97% filipino according to my dna

Irish, Cuban, Russian, Polish. When people hear my name they think I might be Cuban, because Americans assume everyone with a vowel at the end of an exotic sounding name is probably Hispanic.

If people guess Italian, they think I might be a Northern, because I'm 6 foot 2 inches tall with fair(-ish) skin.

But my ancestry is 100% from the province of Bari, in Puglia.

Italian, German, Romanian, Scandinavian, the strangest one is "Romanian" but it was probably because of "foreign accent" so the people in that area haven't seen nor know much about other Europeans and their first thought was "Romanian".

This thread has been viewed 1173 times.

Back