Why Macedonians of the ancient times were Greeks ...

"Nobody loves me, everyone hates me. I'm going to go out to the garden and eat worms." How sad for you. LOL.

When I read what LeBrok said, what I get out of it is this:

(1) Greek and Macedonian are probably linguistic cousins, in the same way that modern Polish and Ukranian are; and

(2) we now live in an international world, as you yourself have proven by your choice to study in the U.S., so lighten up with the nationalism, because you're using it to push away people who could be your friends, whether or not you realize it.

And if that is in fact what he was saying, I agree with him.

OK bro, point taken!

First of all Myth conection is not scientific proof. Many people from the past admired many MYth and legends, even today, but that dosent mean that they were/are relatives. Few Roman imperators admired Alexander even try to look, walk and dressed like him but they were not relatives and Alexander was not his ancestor. Today Christians admired Jesus who was Hebrew. Does it means that all Christians are Hebrew? Many admired Rambo, Spiderman, Casandra or even Tex Viler and some of them give those names to their children.

An ancient Greek statesman and orator named Demosthenes explained perfectly that an ancient Macedonian was not a Greek:

Demosthenes, Third Philippic 31, when he talk about Philip:

"...he is not only no Greek, nor related to the Greeks, but not even a barbarian from any place that can be named with honour, but a pestilent knave from Macedonia, whence it was never yet possible to buy a decent slave."

The difference between Macedonians and Greeks is made very clear by Polybius in Book XXVII 10:

"What happened in the case of Perseus in regard to the feeling of the multitude was very similar to this. For if any one had pulled them up and asked them plainly, in so many words, whether they wished such great power to fall to one man, and were desirous of trying the effect of an utterly irresponsible despotism, I presume that they would have promptly bethought themselves, recanted all they had said, and gone to the other extreme of feeling. Or if some one had briefly recalled to their recollection all the tyrannical acts of the royal house of Macedonia from which the Greeks had suffered, and all the benefits they had received from the Romans, I imagine they would have at once and decisively changed their minds. However, for the present, at the first burst of thoughtless enthusiasm, the people showed unmistakable signs of joy at the news, being delighted at the unlooked-for appearance of a champion able to cope with Rome. I say this much to prevent anyone, in ignorance of human nature, from bringing a rash charge of ingratitude against the Greeks for the feelings which they displayed at that time..."

This thread has been viewed 17222 times.

Back