The Albanian language

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taranis:
Can you tell me if this Albanian words are Satem or Centum???

Root (PIE) Meaning Albanian
gerbh- To scratch gervish
gwer To praise grish
gwreugh To bite me gice
kwas To cough kollje
g’her Fence gardh
kwr.mi- grub krimb

Taranis:
Can you tell me if this Albanian words are Satem or Centum???

Root (PIE) Meaning Albanian
gerbh- To scratch gervish
gwer To praise grish
gwreugh To bite me gice
kwas To cough kollje
g’her Fence gardh
kwr.mi- grub krimb

'praise' isn't 'lavdëroj'?
'bite' isn't 'kafshoj'?
'cough' is 'koll' (n) or 'kollitem' (v).
'krimb' is 'worm' in english.
Where did you find this 'grish' and 'gice' word? What dialect are they?

I cannot comment on 'grish' since is true that praise is lavderoj which is a loanword from latin if I'm not mistaken, but I got this word from wikipedia( I assume it must be some kind of dialect, but my point was something else anyway)
'me gice'= to bite is correct allthough the common usage is kafshoj
gica = kica ( I guess they are dialect but I've used it in my family) they are baby teeth, so baby bite should be the correct interpreation.
You right about koll and kollitje (stupid copy paste)

My point is that 'g' is not always shifted to 'dh' and 'k' is not always shifted to 'th' .

We say for babies tooth 'keca(t)'. But i don't think it has anything to do with bite. 'keca' means 'small teeth'. I've never even heard about 'me gice'.

Jo po Cjap
I thojn kica os gica se kecat do te duhet ti pjekim ne hell ne ti hajm masanej.

Jo se gicat jane mire se derrat se kane shume dhjam. Ca m***n thua??? Andej nga anet e tua i thoni kica ose gica ne i themi keca. Ka ndonje problem nqs ne i themi keca?

Ok, I asked my old father to be sure. Yes albanians in Macedonia use Grish, when for example you invite someone, and usually when you "grish" someone you 'praise' them by giving a gift of some sort.

It is especially used for ceremonies, like weddings and such.

And as an Albanian born and raised in Norway I've also noticed that my parents can't, even after living here for 45 years, say the Norwegian U. It's like when I ask them to say the Norwgian U they say Y as is said in Norwegian. Same goes for J and Y sometimes. However I don't know if this is of any importance for you linguists ;)

1)Taranis you still haven't answer my Q...
2) 'Keca','kica' or 'gica' basically meaning small or babies teeth...what root does it have
3)'Gold' in albanian is 'Ar' from latin, but for 'gold' is also used the word 'flori'. This word, is it latin, greek, turkish or some other lanugage?

2) 'Keca','kica' or 'gica' basically meaning small or babies teeth...what root does it have
3)'Gold' in albanian is 'Ar' from latin, but for 'gold' is also used the word 'flori'. This word, is it latin, greek, turkish or some other lanugage?

flori does not mean gold
fluria is a coin,

it was the coin of Crusaders at 1200 at D crusade,

the crusaders were payed Flouria,

the latinocracy enetocracy Frangocracy times Coin

Fiorino_1347.jpg

the name is after Florentia Italy.

In Latinocracy time was the most famous coin, among the Crusaders allies
while Byzantines prefer Constantine's coins

4 b.jpg

until 1920 the difference was big,

the expression 'he has flouria', mean, Crusader's ancestor, or ruffian, in Greeks

if you watch carefully the 1rst coin above you might read FLOR after florence Italy.

flori was used only due to the late middle ages as the currency of southern Italian, the Florin. The slang was flori.

Northern Italy used the ducat, sometimes called the zequin and in french sequin.

flori was used only due to the late middle ages as the currency of southern Italian, the Florin. The slang was flori.

Northern Italy used the ducat, sometimes called the zequin and in french sequin.

Ζengin I think was the Murat E coins, it also means rich in Turkish i think,
zeegin and saraf-is is the alternate turkish word that rums used to say for small banker or rich-man or -exchanger etc,

I think the Turkish coins were aspra zengin and para

flori does not mean gold

I'm sorry but do you know even a bit albanian?? 'flori' means 'gold' in albanian...where it came from is another matter, but you can't say it doesn't mean smth...

I'm sorry but do you know even a bit albanian?? 'flori' means 'gold' in albanian...where it came from is another matter, but you can't say it doesn't mean smth...

and that is the work of a linguistic,
to write down correct meaning and forms,

cause if I connect flori with main language without knowing its entrance and its origin
then I might fall to falsification,
the Fluri exist in modern Greek also, even in cappadokian Greeks,
it is name of the coin that housekeeper in a speacial lucky pie in New years day,
if you do not know the the origin when we both may enter to wrong path believing that flori is albanian word that reach Capadokia, or the Fluri and flori are from pelasgian ancestry ,
or it is a Greek loan in Albanian language etc

no matter the meaning it has today, the work of a good linguist is to find the original meaning and theme of a word and write it down for future linguists cause that word might be lost in time or cange meaning,
the case that means gold today is because language is a vivid tool that changes and assimilate meanings and sounds,
but we can not take it as an authentic word of albanian language,

flori means gold only to those who accept it as gold

Ζengin I think was the Murat E coins, it also means rich in Turkish i think,
zeegin and saraf-is is the alternate turkish word that rums used to say for small banker or rich-man or -exchanger etc,

I think the Turkish coins were aspra zengin and para

Thanks

The Mint in Venice was called the Zecca
The smallest valued coin in Venice at the time was the zecchin, which became Gazzetin later, which was the cost of the 1 page newspaper............the English language borrowed Gazzetin and made it gazette for the news.

Back to Florin....Athens was ruled by a tuscany dynasty in the middleages, maybe thats where you got the word flori.
Also western greece, epirus was another tuscan family the Tocco which also brought in the florin there.

Actually "jap" is clearly not unchanged. The PIE root word is reconstructed with a laryngeal sound.

The reason I brought up specific words at the beginning is to explicitly visualize Albanian sound laws (ie, where there are changes from PIE). To show that, I used cognates from other IE languages. Now, *k and *p are retained unchanged in Albanian. Well, *k is retained under these conditions, it's shifted to /s/ or /c/ (written 'q' in Standard Albanian Orthography) in other contexts. The other reason was to show loanwords, and also what the loanwords can tell us about the relative chronology of Albanian sound laws.

We can be pretty certain that the *k > *c sound shift didn't happen until after the Roman period because Latin loanwords are subject to it (civitas > qytet).

You must not let yourself be fooled by the fact that Albanian (or indeed any other IE language) is conservative in a specific sound law and preserved the original sound. Just because it preserved one or two sounds doesn't mean Albanian preserved the complete "original condition". The example above (and many others I provided) show that this clearly isn't the case and that Albanian possesses a specific set of sound laws.

I did not claim Albanian preserves the complete "original condition" I just said that when it does, or closely so as in the case of -kap-gap- linguist should say so.

The world also means "world" in both Old Irish (bith) and Welsh (byd). By the way, the link must here be between PIE, otherwise you can't explain why it's /i/ in Celtic and /o/ in Albanian.

the funny thing is that Albanian has both -bote (world) and byth (buttocks). Judging only by the word form, we should say the cognate in Alb of Irish "byth"-world - must be the Albanian -byth (buttocks) and not -bote (world), just like the case of the Alb word - tok (earth) similar only in form to slavic -tok (to flow).

btw, there is also the ancient name of "bythinia". Albanian does have some names in funny meanings, such as the name -gomer - in Albanian it means -donkeys- the same with Maygar, in Alb it also means donkeys but in dialect.

I definitely disagree about the last one, because you must not let yourself be confused by Irish or Albanian orthography. The fact that it's "dh" (or /ð/) in Albanian suggests that it comes from an earlier *mag´ or *mag´h. Because of this, I believe the word is related with Latin 'magis' and Greek 'megas', instead (note that I'm unaware of a cognate of that word in a Celtic language).

EDIT: Also, "dh" in Irish, at least at a final position is silent. I'm also confused which language you took those words from, because lament is 'caoin' in Irish, and 'caoidh' in Scottish Gaelic.
the website I saw these words listed all as in Gaulish or Welsh except the word "iomadh" which was listed as Scottish Gaelic. I don't know any of these languages so these could be different or false. There I also saw the word "gju" - knee in Alb.

here is how Albanian language sounds:

Thanks

The Mint in Venice was called the Zecca
The smallest valued coin in Venice at the time was the zecchin, which became Gazzetin later, which was the cost of the 1 page newspaper............the English language borrowed Gazzetin and made it gazette for the news.

Back to Florin....Athens was ruled by a tuscany dynasty in the middleages, maybe thats where you got the word flori.
Also western greece, epirus was another tuscan family the Tocco which also brought in the florin there.

coorect, I agree to that,
but not only Athens,
Thessaloniki, Con/polis, even to Ceasareia were settled some and build castles,
traders knew the values and % of gold and change according,

the word fluri from flor (the coin) starts to enter after 4rth crusade and especially in areas were ducats or kingdoms were created, these areas had mainly Flor as gold coin-value,
we find the word even i Cappadokia in Ceasareia of Pontus were we know knights manage to control 3 castles,

Coin flor has marching date about 1205 AD,
while senquin after 1400-1500

now the zecchin you mentioned
were known as sachin-ia in ex-Byzantine areas.

in turkish language Zengin means rich-man, wealthy-man,
I do not know if It is from Venice zecchin coins
or Venice name them in purpose after ottoman's to take advantage of merchants,
or it just a coincidence, or both comes from middle east Sach = king or Sikke = mint
I think sachin are mentioned later, after 1400 around ex-byzantine areas. and mostly mentioned at 1500,
while zengin are mentioned the Murat E coins,
I least gold traders or collector's name them like that here
cold trader, coin dealer small banker's are named in ex Byzantine and ottoman empire are baned
Sachin -is
sharaf -is
zengin -is
malam -as
chrysaf-is
econom-os
Asim-
Γαζ-ης
gazet-is
all meant pawn shop or metal worker or small local banker-trader

language is vivid idea or being, and many times assimilates words giving them different meaning
surnames are given by work or many other, but each other knew the treasure of its other due to the wife hair, remember Byzantines put coins in the hair of their women,

Last edited:
I did not claim Albanian preserves the complete "original condition" I just said that when it does, or closely so as in the case of -kap-gap- linguist should say so.

the funny thing is that Albanian has both -bote (world) and byth (buttocks). Judging only by the word form, we should say the cognate in Alb of Irish "byth"-world - must be the Albanian -byth (buttocks) and not -bote (world), just like the case of the Alb word - tok (earth) similar only in form to slavic -tok (to flow).

btw, there is also the ancient name of "bythinia". Albanian does have some names in funny meanings, such as the name -gomer - in Albanian it means -donkeys- the same with Maygar, in Alb it also means donkeys but in dialect.

the website I saw these words listed all as in Gaulish or Welsh except the word "iomadh" which was listed as Scottish Gaelic. I don't know any of these languages so these could be different or false. There I also saw the word "gju" - knee in Alb.

gomer hahaha
exist in Greek also as γομαρι gomari and even in Cypriot and far
the meaning is γιωμα = γεματο, (filled up max)
the exact heavy or load for a donkey,
example 3 gomaria means 3 donkeys but also 3 loads,
gomari is also the man that works hard in lifting work, in English is Dockers

gomari is word used by traders that moved around
the word is after Greek word Γομοσις, means I fill up, (bags shag pockets etc)
the max fill up for a donkey to carry is gomari,
while the one who carries or fills is named gomaras.
Gomari is alternate for mule also
caravans until 1900 froom a village to city or in a big road from city to city were mailnly from 3 parts
the traders (gold keepers) the ntaides or davades or tsilias (tsolias) or pechlivans and the gomaria,

merchants, guards merchantise and its carriers
γιωμα or γεμα ορ γομοσις is Greek word meaning the filled up bag or shag or box or what-ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 295674 times.

Back